Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:57 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,797,658 times

Advertisements

Thought it would be useful to have a quote from the page linked to in the above post.
Quote:
Determining the veridical (or otherwise) nature of a PLE (Reincarnation) has always been fraught with complication. The classic example of this is the Bridey Murphy case. However the Christos investigator may be assisted by the copious amounts of detail and good recall that the experiment provides. As noted above, some PLEs are extremely convincing and internally logical, but logical discrepancies with history or common sense can demonstrate their non-veridical nature. Once again, a defender of their veridical nature can claim a mixture of truth and falsehood for the experience, without being able to specify which will be which – an Unfalsifiable position. But the extraordinary implications of a veridical PLE means that claims of truth require extraordinary levels of proof, and so far none appear to have been forthcoming
Commentaries on the technique if anyone is interested
Link 1 Alistair Mcintosh
Link 2 Alistair Mcintosh

Last edited by ocpaul20; 07-05-2017 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Links to commentaries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 06:48 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,456,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think we(some of us) are ignoring the physical proof aspects of this phenomena because we do not want to believe it.
What is this physical proof please?

Old 07-08-2017, 02:52 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,899,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I don't know that they do.

And there is a big difference between the hypnosis we see in the movies and read about in popular fiction and the real clinical use of hypnosis. The few therapists I have known that use it merely use it as a way to settle the mind during therapy. But as far as retrieving "repressed memories" and forcing people to cluck like chickens or become covert assassins --- that is the stuff of fiction and carnival acts, not reality.
I've had some clinical training in hypnosis this past year as a mental health professional, and might work toward certification in the future. It's used in therapy because it represents a profound state of relaxation, and allows the client to process a suggestion at a subconscious level without all the ego stuff getting in the way. But the suggestion is something chosen by the client and therapist, not the therapist exerting his/her "will" on the client. I've done a lot of work with clients on stress management, and my interest in hypnosis fits into that interest.

It is particularly effective for chronic pain management (patients can be taught self-hypnosis to help them manage their pain), and can be helpful to some in dealing with smoking cessation and weight loss. But it's not a silver bullet and there's nothing "magical" about it. Here is a publication on hypnotherapy and pain management:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2752362

Real hypnosis as a therapeutic tool has nothing to do with repressed memories or "regression". And as I've pointed out several times in this forum, there's no such thing as repressed memories -- they're evidence of the lability of our memories, nothing more.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasily
Real hypnosis as a therapeutic tool has nothing to do with repressed memories or "regression". And as I've pointed out several times in this forum, there's no such thing as repressed memories -- they're evidence of the lability of our memories, nothing more.
The whole of our legal system relies on memory to relate what happened. We have no other way to record unless it is with video cameras. If memory is as fragile as you say it is, then how can we hope to have justice? Basically everything is made up and fabricated so we may as well give up on any justice at all. If you are arguing for dodgy memory, then please suggest what our justice systems around the world should use instead?

Science cannot have it both ways. It is either reliable or it isn't. Which is it? You cannot have "Well, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't" because then it is just a matter of two sides in court arguing that this is one of those times when we either accept memory or we dont.

There is a school of thought which says that everything is 'recorded' and our cellular memory or energy body records our life experienced in this reality. It is often reported that the life gets reviewed on some near death experiences so this might point towards a recording being made by some part of ourselves. Occult societies have also claimed to be able to access this universal record of events.

I actually think there is circumstancial evidence from different belief systems for this phenomena and that maybe we really are living in a bubble of our own holographic reality and that we make up our own 'film' that we act in. Christianity mentions some kind of good deeds book which God uses to judge us, Budhists mention memories from past lives, other groups mention the Akashic Record.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
The whole of our legal system relies on memory to relate what happened. We have no other way to record unless it is with video cameras. If memory is as fragile as you say it is, then how can we hope to have justice? Basically everything is made up and fabricated so we may as well give up on any justice at all. If you are arguing for dodgy memory, then please suggest what our justice systems around the world should use instead?
Like much of what you say I think this is wrong and even cherry picked to support what you wish to say, which I find highly disingenuous.

The "whole" of our legal system does not rely on memory alone. Actually eyewitness testimony is considered one of the weakest forms of evidence.

There is physical evidence, statistical evidence and expert evidence that can be much stronger.

Also I am not sure why you say "our" legal system. I believe you live in China and I live in the US. I do not think the legal systems are the same and saying so is again misleading.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:08 AM

Old Guard, I advise you to place me in your Ignore list, because you and I seem to be at odds with one another. So, just ignore anything I say. OK? That means... dont bother to comment on it, just ignore it.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I think we(some of us) are ignoring the physical proof aspects of this phenomena because we do not want to believe it.
What is this physical proof?

Old 07-12-2017, 07:04 AM

22,840 posts, read 28,068,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
What is this physical proof?
Proof? None.

Highly suggestive evidence of alien/human hybrids:

Old 07-12-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Proof? None.

Highly suggestive evidence of alien/human hybrids:
He is saying that some of us are ignoring the physical proof aspects of this phenomena because we do not want to believe it. I am asking what that physical proof is. I think this is fair.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:14 AM

22,840 posts, read 28,068,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
He is saying that some of us are ignoring the physical proof aspects of this phenomena because we do not want to believe it. I am asking what that physical proof is. I think this is fair.
Define "proof." A 100% iron-clad case that no one can punch any cracks in? There is no such thing. Not even for your own existence.

"Evidence" of possible alien/human hybrids? See photos above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal