Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 08:33 AM

5,463 posts, read 9,606,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
It was an attempt at the analogy, I'm sure not meant to offend.
Would you settle for the one about ants next to a highway?
"Sheesh"
Relax. Who said anything about offense? Yes, you're quite right. It was a noble attempt at making an analogy, albeit not an accurate one. Apparently you failed to note that I also thanked the poster for the reply, which I appreciated. Look, we're all entitled to opinions and views which are also subject to scrutiny, debate, and clarification. Sarcasm does not provide any helpful contribution.

Perhaps you should actually read the entire posts, and keep it in context with other related posts which were basically in reference to considering the difference of intelligence between humans and hypothetical aliens with the point being that we humans don't yet have a grasp of the entire picture about life, the universe and everything. How does one make such a comparison when there isn't yet anything to compare it with?

It also involves current limitations of human perception about unknowns. I can't disagree with that. However, those limitations can and do change based on more accurate information. One thing we're beginning to better understand is that humans aren't the only life forms on this planet that possess varying degrees of awareness and, if I may say so, varying degrees of intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 10:04 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,480,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Relax. Who said anything about offense? Yes, you're quite right. It was a noble attempt at making an analogy, albeit not an accurate one.<>
Well, not so much an offense as a trigger for your thoughtful post.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
<>we humans don't yet have a grasp of the entire picture about life, the universe and everything. How does one make such a comparison when there isn't yet anything to compare it with?
It also involves current limitations of human perception about unknowns.<>
You are Douglas Adams and I claim my five pounds.
I believe the difference between us and the animals in the underwater universe analogy is we recognize our limitations and we think about the possibilities.
When I imagine the outcome of one of those personal puzzles in life I always keep in mind that the outcome most likely will be something I did not anticipate. Same with aliens.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:45 AM

13,262 posts, read 7,961,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That is too general a question. Do I believe it is possible that there is life beyond Earth? Sure. Maybe even likely. Do I believe those creatures are visiting Earth? I have never seen any conclusive evidence that is so.

Ditto. I have seen things in the sky for which I have no explanation. I have no reason to suppose they were alien craft. Just something I cannot explain. Until further evidence comes to light, they remain "unidentified."

Yes, this is kind of my outlook on the matter as well.

I've seen a UFO...in the truest sense of the word, an unidentified flying object. Was it alien? I don't know.

I was 7 years old, living in Titusville Florida, which is part of the Space Coast. So if flying objects is going to happen...that's a likely area.

What I saw, in broad daylight, was a triangular shaped flying 'thing', and at the 3 corners of the triangle, were strobe-like lights. It wasn't that high in the sky. Not very high at all, but higher than the trees.

It traveled from my right to my left (as opposed to up and down) by 'pulsing'. I.E., It would pulse forward a little, and as it pulsed the lights would be brighter, and then it would slow down, and then it would pulse forward again, etc.

The weirdest part about it was that it was...see through. I could see through it...but it was kind of shimmery.

Now that I'm a grown up all these years later, I think I was seeing stealth technology. Alien or not? I'm thinking maybe not. But I don't know.

But there were lots of strange sights in the skies, in the 60's, in the space coast. Lots of people saw lots of weird stuff back then.

Old 08-04-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
<>I've seen a UFO...in the truest sense of the word, an unidentified flying object. Was it alien? I don't know.
I was 7 years old, living in Titusville Florida, which is part of the Space Coast. So if flying objects is going to happen...that's a likely area.
What I saw, in broad daylight, was a triangular shaped flying 'thing', and at the 3 corners of the triangle, were strobe-like lights. It wasn't that high in the sky. Not very high at all, but higher than the trees.
<>
It is very hard for a human to estimate the distance to an object of unknown size. You may have seen part of a bi-static radar array:
Stalking Big Black Triangles in the Mojave Desert

Old 08-04-2017, 12:43 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,915,352 times
I believe in aliens and have every intention of punching the first one I see in his ridiculously oversized head for screwing with us all these years

Old 08-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
It is very hard for a human to estimate the distance to an object of unknown size. You may have seen part of a bi-static radar array:
Stalking Big Black Triangles in the Mojave Desert

Well...like I said, I don't know what I saw...but what I saw wasn't black. It was 'see through'. like a flying triangle made of plastic wrap. And since it was see through, It wasn't blotting out any kind of view.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Well...like I said, I don't know what I saw...but what I saw wasn't black. It was 'see through'. like a flying triangle made of plastic wrap. And since it was see through, It wasn't blotting out any kind of view.
That is referred to as "cloaking" in some circles.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 1,421 times
Seeing as how biology isnt special and by default is built upon chemistry which in turn is built on physics. You can confidently know that life is ubiquitous across this and any other universe. There is a common fallacy that pops up in conversations around life on other planets. Namely, lifeforms must develop in Earth like environments and nowhere else. This is absolutely ridiculous and fits in well with confirmation bias (I am water based therefore all biology is water based). We will one day hop galaxy to galaxy exchanging goods and ideas with creatures we cant yet imagine. I just hope to live to see even a faint glimpse of this wondrous future.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
That is referred to as "cloaking" in some circles.

LOL...thanks for the right word.

I was 7 at the time, so I didn't have a word for it then. But yeah...cloaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal