Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 02:26 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,538,111 times

Advertisements

Several years ago I heard the song below, 'Hurts So Bad', I remember it vividly as it was so memorable--the female vocalist, the back up singers doing a 'shoo-do-wop' thing in the background...I especially remember the lyrics 'I was a fool to ever leave you/ (ooooh-ooooh-ooooh) You were a fool to let me go'. It had a distinct 50's sound to it, the melody, the singer, the back up guys, everything. I should mention that I listened exclusively to an oldies station at the time.

In trying to locate the song now, it's as if it never existed, the only version being Ms. Tedeschi's (below) which appears to be the original version. And I have researched HARD. The songwriter himself is far too young to have written the version I heard (again, it had a distinct 50's vibe to it) and in many messages on various oldies boards--even the songwriter's Facebook page--no one knows the version I'm talking about.

At this point all I can guess is that some obscure singer recorded a version of it as I described, so obscure that it was only heard rarely, and I'm almost at the point of thinking I dreamt it (though I know I didn't, I actually heard the song as I described it). I don't necessarily believe in 'timeslips' or alternate timelines or any of that, I just cannot explain how I heard--and remember--a version of a song that does not exist, apparently. It puzzles me enough that I'm here posting about it (more of a vent, I'll assume none of you have heard it, either).

If you can imagine Patsy Cline recording the song and what that might've sounded like, that's the version I heard, and it will puzzle me for the rest of my life what exactly happened here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCptBw8i6KA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 02:48 PM

10,979 posts, read 9,621,477 times
Are you thinking of this ....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9D6C&FORM=VIRE

Old 08-05-2017, 02:49 PM

Thanks, but not that song.

That's a great song, though, and I know it well--though I vastly prefer Little Anthony and The Imperials' original version, those guys KILLED it.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:08 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,324,314 times
You might have been walking worlds,I walk worlds sometimes like enter the otherworld.Very rarely but I do,it's normal for shamanic figures,witches etc they call it hedging.I hear extrordinary music during those times,that is nothing like earthly music and I certainly wasn't hearing it in real life. I would search walking worlds in Google.
It could be you just slipped into the otherworld for a few minutes.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:22 PM

Actually I was listening to a radio, probably surfing the web at the time. This had to be around 2008-09. I really can't explain it, as I KNOW I heard this song and was surprised to hear Ms. Tedeschi sing the exact same song, but in a more modern and bluesy style.

The only thing I can come up with is someone did a version of it and intentionally made it sound 'older', why, I have no idea, and that's the version I heard, but I'd think someone else would've heard it, too. Apparently no one has. I've had little odd coincidences happen to me before--one of which I posted about on this page awhile back--but nothing like this, hearing a song that apparently could not be. I've read stories of people who claim to have wandered onto streets that they later could not find in the exact same area, things like that, and I never gave it much thought, but I've experienced it with this one song. And the thing that kills me is I'd LOVE TO HEAR THE SONG AGAIN!!! The female vocalist--and the 'doo-wop' guys backing her--did a tremendous job!

The version I posted has a little melody that begins the song, then she starts singing--in the 'older' version I heard that melody was sung by the background singers, like, 'ahhh, ahhhh...AHHH!' Then she begins singing the verse. I only heard it that once but it was such a striking song I could never forget it.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:39 PM

102,060 posts, read 106,950,530 times
OP, I used to listen to the oldies station, and never heard that song. It wasn't a standard, or it would have been played frequently enough that I'd have heard it.

Old 08-08-2017, 05:28 AM

818 posts, read 453,001 times
Of no help but just something that went on with me and music.

Last year l lived over at my little cabin in the country for awhile.It's got a loft bed and the tin rood is only about 3ft above the top of the loft bed.
Sounds a bit snug but believe me , apart from the music , l slept better in that loft bed than l ever have in my entire life.

But about the music. Often late at night lying in bed, there was music. All kinds , one night it was country and western, well l can stand country and western but it was loud and driving me crazy.
After an hour or two, l jump out , and race outside wondering who's got this damn country music blasting.
Nothing ,dead still , not even a whisper.
l go back and jump up into bed , it's still going, driving me mad.

Some nights it was rock or classical , anything, but you could only hear it while you were in bed.
After 6mths and much thought and lots of nights awake because the music was too loud, l came up with an idea.
There was a phone tower up on a hill about a mile away. ; got to thinking that must have broadcasted radio stations too and that maybe the tin roof above the loft picks it up , but you can only hear it when your in bed close enough to the tin roof.

That was the only solution l could come up with.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:33 AM

10,021 posts, read 17,928,258 times
Default or you're just remembering wrong?!

OP, our memories are not perfect. It's likely that you simply are not remembering correctly, or that the original recording is (as you suggested) just very obscure, which is why you haven't found it.

Or you could believe that somehow you heard it in a parallel universe (as noted in the title) or while "walking worlds" (as someone suggested). (Seriously?! )

Gee, which is more likely? (Why on earth do people search for a bizarre explanation when a perfectly normal one will do?)

======

ETA: thanks for the rude rep, anonymous person (gotta love anonymity, right?). After my first paragraph, which specified that I was writing to the OP, I was responding to the thread as a whole (and people's really silly suggestions), not just the OP. Have a lovely day, "dearie."

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 08-08-2017 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: respond to a rude rep ... gotta love it when people rep you anonymously so they can be rude!

Old 08-08-2017, 11:23 AM

35,512 posts, read 17,702,149 times
It sounds most likely the radio station was playing a version of the song that wasn't commercially available. Like, the DJ's daughter is in a band and they covered the song. I think your best bet is to call the radio station and ask if they own a copy of the song not sung by Tedeschi.

But really, the song you posted sounds enough like Patsy Cline (to me) that maybe that's what you heard.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:27 AM

35,512 posts, read 17,702,149 times
On this same note, I've spent real time trying to recover a short story by Erma Bombeck that my family loved as a child. The topic was a family reunion, and during the night for one reason or other people switched beds (kids having nightmares, one room was too drafty, stuff like that) and in the end there was something about where grandpa's dentures in a glass ended up. The whole thing was really funny and my family has been trying to locate that dang thing for years.

Maybe it was Shirley Jackson instead of Erma Bombeck. Anyway, my siblings and I spent REAL effort trying to recover that story to give it to my Mom as a gift and we couldn't locate it.

So yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal