Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,769,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
These feelings are finally gone because I know it is an absurdity, but for several months I felt I was in love with someone, many decades younger than me. And that we had been together in other lifetimes. Nothing happened between us, and nothing should, and won't! While quite young, this person appears to have a much older spirit. I have no history of being attracted to young people, or any perversion, though my rational mind tells me this is what it is. Am I just lonely? It's over now but I wonder if what I thought could be accurate. I would rather die than hurt this person or interfere in their life.

Your thoughts?
There is no such thing as an afterlife of any sort. It is simply not rational to believe that we, who are the sum total of our memories and experiences as filtered through our meat brains and affected by hormones and hunger and everything that goes along with having a meat body, would, if any part of us were to survive beyond death, be at all the same person. It's simply a ridiculous notion. Might as well believe in fairies.

That said - I would suspect loneliness. It is also possible that the person in question reminds you of someone you knew long ago - I mean a real person that you knew in this lifetime (since it is the only one) or that he/she expresses features of an idealized romantic partner of which you are probably not consciously even aware.

I had a crush on a slightly younger man once. Thankfully it wore of rather quickly, as the guy had no real attraction for me as a person. However I have never before or since been attracted to someone like that and having experienced it once, I'm just as glad I'm not susceptible to that sort of shallow attraction.

Just shrug and move on. It's not a big deal - as long as we're talking about an adult. Hopefully this person was of age even if decades younger.

If the person was/is a child, then you have a problem. Get therapy. Lolita complexes are not OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 11:17 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,822,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumi01 View Post
Yes, I believe in reincarnation. Does this guy feel the same? Have you asked him? Even if he doesn't believe in reincarnation, he may feel a connection with you. Ofcourse, it is easier for me to accept reincarnation since I was brought up in Buddhist religion by my parents. I have decided to be Christian.
However, I do believe that some people reincarnate, some people go to heaven or hell, and some are stuck as ghosts. I know that I have been here before - several times- and I have committed suicide in my past lives. I also know that my path is to go on living in this life time and not commit suicide again. I need to learn whatever it is that I am supposed to learn. I don't know if you are in California. But there are several buddhist temples in LA and one in Irvine. You can talk to the monks about reincarnation. I remember being 5 years old and the monk told my grandmother that I would not be a buddhist. My grandmother argued with him (not in a mean way) but he was right. Now how did he know that? Also, not all monks can see your past or the future. Only the englightened monks can do that.
Hmmm, that's just not right. The Buddhist concept of reincarnation is nothing like the western pop-culture concept that we get from movies. In Buddhism there is no "self", no soul, in the rebirth process, no memories of past life's because it's simply starting over. The goal isn't even reincarnation, it's to stop the cycle of rebirths. A true monk will know this, and if you were really Buddhist at one time you would know this.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:16 PM

10,863 posts, read 7,289,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk101 View Post
Personally l believe in near death in some cases but not reincarnation .
Reason being , that logically speaking , well to me anyway haha, is that we have close 7 billion people on the planet right.
But how many people did we start off with ?
l don't know unless we believe in Adam and Eve but whatever the case, it wasn't very many.
So in theory reincarnation is an impossibility because there's billions more people now than we started off with.
1) You're so speciesist, assuming only humans reincarnate. Maybe bad worms become humans in their next life.

2) Even if only humans reincarnate (great word, "become meat again") there could still be new "souls". We talk about "old souls" there have to be younger ones, too!

Old 08-13-2017, 04:06 PM

35 posts, read 22,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Hmmm, that's just not right. The Buddhist concept of reincarnation is nothing like the western pop-culture concept that we get from movies. In Buddhism there is no "self", no soul, in the rebirth process, no memories of past life's because it's simply starting over. The goal isn't even reincarnation, it's to stop the cycle of rebirths. A true monk will know this, and if you were really Buddhist at one time you would know this.
Wrong. There are different types of Buddhism. Chinese, Mongolians, Indian, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese and on. Just like Christianity, there are variations of Buddhism.
Also, I never said that I was a Buddhist. I said that I was brought up in that religion but that does not mean that I know everything about Buddhism. I am Christian.
"no memories of past life" - how do you explain Dalai Lama? And how does he recognize the people who have reincarnated from his past life?
I have no idea why you are questioning my upbringing, I never discussed the religion itself. Just that some people to do reincarnate. It is true , the point of Buddhism is englightenment. But I was never talking about that.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:13 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,822,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumi01 View Post
Wrong. There are different types of Buddhism. Chinese, Mongolians, Indian, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese and on. Just like Christianity, there are variations of Buddhism.
Also, I never said that I was a Buddhist. I said that I was brought up in that religion but that does not mean that I know everything about Buddhism. I am Christian.
"no memories of past life" - how do you explain Dalai Lama? And how does he recognize the people who have reincarnated from his past life?
I have no idea why you are questioning my upbringing, I never discussed the religion itself. Just that some people to do reincarnate. It is true , the point of Buddhism is englightenment. But I was never talking about that.
No I am not wrong. You said you were brought up a Buddhist and recommended the OP to consult with a Buddhist monk. No legitimate eastern monk would endorse the concept of the transmigration of the soul to a new life, rebirth is NOT the same as reincarnation.
Indeed there are various sects of buddhism and if one searches long enough you will find one that believes in the western view of reincarnation as you will probably also find one that will bless you with good fortune if one chants under a pyramid while sitting in a lotus position.
The Dalai Lama is considered an enlightened being in Tibetian Buddhism and is considered an exception to the above, but to my knowledge he has never really discussed his past lifes or dwelt on that knowledge, focusing instead on wisdom and kindness.

Hey I don't care who you are or what you are, or your upbringing. I just wanted to be clear on what Buddhist believe, there is a lot of misinformation.

Last edited by Dd714; 08-13-2017 at 05:21 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 06:04 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,558,149 times
No one knows, but everyone will find out after they draw their last breath. Or not.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:06 PM

35 posts, read 22,738 times
[quote=Dd714;49177835]No I am not wrong. You said you were brought up a Buddhist and recommended the OP to consult with a Buddhist monk. No legitimate eastern monk would endorse the concept of the transmigration of the soul to a new life, rebirth is NOT the same as reincarnation.

I don't know how many monks you have spoken to in your lifetime. But monks are human first and some do talk about it. Indeed, they talked it about with my grandmother and my mother. Going into very specific details with them. You act like since you know about Buddhism , that you know about "all" about it.
No person knows all of anything. Don't act like you know my experience. You have your experience and I have mine. Keep you conceitedness out of MINE!

Old 08-13-2017, 06:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,333,025 times
I believe in reincarnation. Which to me, is like universal consciousness (google this to learn more).

Old 08-13-2017, 06:48 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,360,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
If you ever have a true ''paranormal'' experience you may change your thinking. Things can, and do, happen that a person does not just ''conjure up'' in their mind. They are outside, actual realities that are often beyond explanation.
This is certainly NOT anything close to a "Paranormal" experience. It's experiencing another Soul within another human being that exhibits opinions, thoughts that the Op sensed. Since Soul's a Energy.. it will always come down to a "Sense" they feel when meeting another person. That other person may or may not have similar sense.. BUT it sure doesn't invalidate what the OP feels.
Often sensing a connection with another doesn't mean it was a lover or sexual connection.. BUT a CONNECTION to a philosophy they have come to realize ( call it an evolution of realizations) in the now human lifetime!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
1) You're so speciesist, assuming only humans reincarnate. Maybe bad worms become humans in their next life.

2) Even if only humans reincarnate (great word, "become meat again") there could still be new "souls". We talk about "old souls" there have to be younger ones, too!
Old Souls often indicate a far higher TOLERANCE level, not to mention ability to accept new idea's and rebuff the OLD Singular narrow POV of those Younger/re-encarnated souls in someone you meet. If anybody wonders WHY you for some reason sense to avoid another person.. It's called "Spider Sense" that gives you warning to Stay away.

Babies are not born evil, and young (un-evolved) souls easily get mind-bended into radial extreme thinking that is/could be "Anti-Social" and intolerant such as wee see in the ALT-Right people !! That's why these intolerant ones are only about 25% of American Society and not higher!! There's many who were born into intolerant "Alt-Right" families who ultimate refuse then pull away from such thinking. They in fact move away.. THATS why there are so many at these demonstrations that oppose narrow-minded HATE/Violent ones who cling to alt-right type actions.

I say all this because, since HATE has not been given so much acceptance for almost half century has allowed evolvement to make gains!! Old Souls have been influencing you're souls for decades!!

BTW~~ The younger the child is.. the more they recognize others.. but are unable to express it ... However, their behaviour and fears of certain situations basically should tell a parent, the child/toddler SENSES unacceptable environment. It's a difficult concept.. but us OLD Souls understand it.. and endeavour to find out the WHY's!!

Last edited by Lyndarn; 08-13-2017 at 07:00 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 07:38 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,558,149 times
By ''paranormal'' I meant outside of the norm of experience for that individual's expectation of what is ''logical''.
I have learned from my own life experience that there are things which occur that defy anything that I ever thought possible.
All of this presumes an ''open mind'', which I believe makes it possible to experience these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal