Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 01:59 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,027,721 times

Advertisements

For those whose minds are still open, consider this site where much testimony and evidence is:

Reincarnation Research – A Comprehensive Source Site

Have not read this book, but Amazon reviews are pretty good:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...tion-and-karma

Last edited by Mahayana; 08-14-2017 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 11:46 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
Interesting book. I don't know. I still prefer science over wishful thinking. It's probably not legitimate, though it's fun to speculate.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:57 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
For those whose minds are still open, consider this site where much testimony and evidence is:

Reincarnation Research – A Comprehensive Source Site

Have not read this book, but Amazon reviews are pretty good:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...tion-and-karma
There's this, and there's also the sites that collect testimony from Near Death Experiencers, some of whom report that reincarnation is definitely part of life's Big Picture.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:23 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,574 times
I'm still mystified by this situation. Common sense requires a very carefully choreographed behavioral control, based entirely on kindness and intentional focus on the best outcome for this person, whom I see regularly. Without them having to do a single thing, aside from exist, as nearly as I can determine, this is a gift of sorts. Their role in my life has been nothing but positive, and they have inspired me to make all sorts of positive changes, and I mean big changes, which have turned my life completely around, for the better.

I don't know what to make of it and have stopped speculating. All I can say for certain is that I am grateful and feel like they came into my life for a reason (giving much needed direction).

ADDENDUM: On reflection, some probably rather obvious alternative explanations come to mind. Frequently, older people have lost the loved ones that provided direction in the past (parents, husbands, friends). Then you meet someone so smart and charming, and that person takes on more importance in your life than perhaps they should.

The paranormal explanation is not even necessary.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 09-12-2017 at 06:41 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 09:42 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Kara, if you're interested in learning more about reincarnation, you might see what you can find in a search like this one:

Universities with departments on reincarnation

You'll find very credible Professors of large universities who have studied reincarnation for years. I'm skeptical about a lot of things, but after doing a lot of reading on the topic, I'm convinced reincarnation is real.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:48 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk101 View Post
Personally l believe in near death in some cases but not reincarnation .
Reason being , that logically speaking , well to me anyway haha, is that we have close 7 billion people on the planet right.
But how many people did we start off with ?
l don't know unless we believe in Adam and Eve but whatever the case, it wasn't very many.
So in theory reincarnation is an impossibility because there's billions more people now than we started off with.
They say that new souls are created all the time. There isn't a finite number. We're not limited to the number there was in the beginning of creation, or however you want to look at it.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:45 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They say that new souls are created all the time. There isn't a finite number. We're not limited to the number there was in the beginning of creation, or however you want to look at it.

Who is THEY?

Old 09-16-2017, 02:19 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
How about those of us who aren't Buddhist and come from a different spiritual tradition that doesn't believe in reincarnation? In fact, we Eastern Orthodox probably share more in common in many ways with Hinduism and Buddhism than most other Christian groups -- but reincarnation can't be part of our beliefs primarily because it is incompatible with the Orthodox view of personhood -- that the person is a unity of body and soul, not a spirit "trapped" in the body; that creation is good, and not an illusion. That's why we rejected that doctrine 1600 years ago or so.

By the way, an Orthodox monk who came from Mt. Athos who I know well told me that Buddhist monasticism was closer to Orthodox monasticism in praxis than western Christian monasticism. He told me a story of a Buddhist monk whose body had been found to be incorrupt -- then said, "He was a holy man". We recognize truth wherever it may be found -- but belief in reincarnation isn't part of that. He also had many strange stories about paranormal things on Mt Athos -- bilocation,

Closest thing to it is probably our belief in theosis (divinization) -- that our job over time (and into infinity) is growing ever closer to a God who is infinitely beyond us, cloaked in impenetrable darkness. Because He is infinitely far away, we'll never get there. As St Athanasius wrote, "God became man so that man might become a god." But the end goal is an endless journey, not a dissolution into the One. It's a different set of truth claims springing from the Judeao-Christian tradition's understanding of reality and humankind.

Quote:
...While we don't agree with Buddhists or Hindus on what "illumination" or "deification" means (because our metaphysics are different) we agree on the basic diagnosis of the fallen human condition. As I once said to a practicing Tibetan Buddhist: "We agree on the sickness (of the human condition). Where we disagree is on the cure"...
-- Kevin Allen, convert to Eastern Orthodoxy from Hinduism (source link)

Old 09-16-2017, 02:30 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,027,721 times
Vasily,

I plainly was addressing those whose minds were not settled upon accepting rebirth. For those who do not find it true or of value, like you, so be it.

I value goodness, wisdom, virtue and holiness in whomever may live so.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:16 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Vasily,

I plainly was addressing those whose minds were not settled upon accepting rebirth. For those who do not find it true or of value, like you, so be it.

I value goodness, wisdom, virtue and holiness in whomever may live so.
I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal