Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:44 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,906,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Actually doing a skeptics thread sounds good. Any anyone would be welcome no matter their opinion or input.
Here's the problem I have with a skeptics thread: it will become a place where everyone who questions anything in this forum is directed to, a place of banishment for the unbelievers. I like the forum the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 10:13 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,259,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I did not say you are a phony. You seem sincere.

I am not doubting that the six people heard something on your tape. I am doubting that it came from a dead person. And you cannot prove that it did come from a dead person. There is no proof that a dead person has ever communicated with anyone. Despite that there are people like you that believe it has happened. And there are countless individuals in this field who prey on people suffering a loss and take advantage of them. I will not keep that to myself. Not saying that is you but you are surrounded by them.

Before Houdini died he gave a code word that only his wife knew. After his death his wife proceeded to have so called paranormal experts try and talk with Houdini. Many claimed to be speaking to him but not one could say the word.

I am a skeptic. Spent years studying the paranormal, I have always found it fascinating and listening to experts like James Randi who has spent over 70 years studying these things. Looking at the point of view of science I am not going to believe something until its proven without a doubt in a controlled environment. EVP and other so called means of communicating with the dead has not been proven. And the problem with most who study the paranormal do it from a viewpoint of trying to prove it to be true and are way too biased to look at the information objectively. I get the impression that is where you are coming from.

Project Alpha is a perfect example of this. You might be aware of it. Two men who were trained illusionists fooled paranormal researchers for four years with all sorts of impossible physic skills. About two years into it James Randi disclosed the two guys were fake but the researchers did not believe him and kept studying the men for two more years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Alpha

After 40 years of myself studying unexplained phenomenon I have found nothing that falls outside the understanding of science that is proven. There are things that can't be explained but that does not prove anything. Not expecting to change your mind but hoping to open it up just a little bit.

Maybe you should read my thread about a ghost haunting me. When you wake up to furniture handles flipping up in the middle of night you might be more open minded.

And it's interesting that you claim that other people beliefs are just opinions but you act like your opinion is a fact. Unless you've died and come back to life you cannot prove either way.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:16 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,373,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

Here's the problem I have with a skeptics thread: it will become a place where everyone who questions anything in this forum is directed to, a place of banishment for the unbelievers. I like the forum the way it is.
If he had merely questioned, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

He flat out told the OP that dead people don't contact the living. That is not "questioning".

Old 08-24-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post

Maybe you should read my thread about a ghost haunting me. When you wake up to furniture handles flipping up in the middle of night you might be more open minded.

And it's interesting that you claim that other people beliefs are just opinions but you act like your opinion is a fact. Unless you've died and come back to life you cannot prove either way.
I've seen two separate ghosts at my house, appearing as solid and detailed as any human and in broad daylight. I did not even know they were ghosts until they disappeared.

People like you and me don't care what Jack thinks!

Something else happened in my house a few days ago, but for once I'm reluctant to talk about it. I don't know why this time is different, but it feels too personal and too close to my heart to talk about on the Internet right now. I will just say that my deceased relatives made their presence known.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:38 PM

Well I have two stories:

When I was 9 thru 11 years old we lived in England. My father said he woke up to see my aunt (my mothers sister) standing at the foot of the bed. She told him good bye and to take good care of my mom, then disappeared. They found out the next morning that she had passed away. Sad because she was in her early twenties and so passionate about life. Her death was very sudden and odd.

When I was in High School we would have these long road trips to visit my grandparents. We would always leave at night so after a couple of hours my brother and I would pass out in the back seat. One road trip we were all asleep except my mom who was driving. She said she distinctly heard my aunts voice tell her to back off from the truck in front of her. So she backed off and after a few minutes a car pulled in between us and the truck. Within seconds the truck's tire came off the truck, bounced off the top of the middle car and off to the side. I'm pretty sure that tire would have gone through our windshield if my aunt had not warned us!

Old 08-24-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Beef View Post

Was not sure if anyone had any experience similar to this, or if you had any input. I woke up around 1am 5 1/2 yrs ago, and was immediately thinking about how i had to turn my phone on in case something happened(have a habit of turning volume down on phone). I went down stairs and did a couple things, and that thought of turning my phone on was heavy on my mind. I went back up stairs, fell back asleep, couple hours later my ex wife was waking me saying my mom was in the hospital. She eventually passed. We were very close. It all seemed too much of a coincidence. Thoughts?
OP, I do know of a couple of people with similar stories.

One was a girl who was in medical school. Her class was studying suicide and she was at home reading the material. She had a strong urge to text her younger brother a message that she loved him, but she didn't because her phone was in another room and she didn't feel like getting up. A few hours later, she got a frantic phone call from her mother that her brother had committed suicide. At the moment she had to urge to text him, he still hadn't done it yet. She said it's her biggest regret.

Many people believe we can get prompts from the spirit world. We can take heed and act on the prompt or ignore the message.

I worked with a lady who had an unsettling experience. Her father was in the hospital and the family was taking turns sitting with him. She was supposed to sit with her father that day, but she came down with the flu and couldn't go. Her brother was supposed to take her place.

That night, she was lying sick in bed and her deceased mother appeared in her room, looking distraught and wringing her hands. She was so scared by it, that sick as she was, she got up and went into the living room where other family members were watching TV. After a while, she went back to her bed, and her mother appeared a second time, still looking distraught, like she wanted her to do something.

It turned out that her father was dying right at that time, and her brother had never made it to the hospital to be with him. He was dying alone. She thinks that her mother didn't want him to be alone.

This same lady lost her grown daughter in a car accident. The daughter left a baby daughter behind and the lady was taking care of her. She said one time she went into the baby's nursery, and her daughter's favorite pair of earrings were placed under the baby's crib. Those earrings had been kept in a box hidden away, and there was no logical explanation why they suddenly appeared under the baby's crib.

When the baby got older, she used to read stories to her while she was in bed, and she could feel someone invisible come and sit on the edge of the bed with her.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post

When I was 9 thru 11 years old we lived in England. My father said he woke up to see my aunt (my mothers sister) standing at the foot of the bed. She told him good bye and to take good care of my mom, then disappeared. They found out the next morning that she had passed away. Sad because she was in her early twenties and so passionate about life. Her death was very sudden and odd.
I am convinced that spirits know how to wake people up, from personal experience.

My grandmother always told me growing up, that when my great grandmother was dying of melanoma cancer that had spread, she kept telling everyone that my deceased great grandfather was standing at the foot of her bed waiting for her.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:19 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,032,582 times
Just yesterday my dad called & asked if I could stop by & of course I said yes. He is 76 yrs old & we just lost my mom in March.

They had been married 50 years after meeting while attending CU. He was an Irish Catholic kid who attended private boarding schools for HS; son of a well known doctor who was a WWII hero. She was the daughter of Greek immigrants & grew up on the south side of Chicago & the Denver Greek community. She was disowned for 10 years by her family for marrying him & they left 2 days after the wedding due to his orders to be stationed in Japan.

On Saturday we had a big family get-together in honor of what had been my mom's "name day" (August 15th). Name days, meaning the "saint you were named after"; are a big deal in the Greek culture & Orthodox church. Bigger than birthdays even.

It was a casual event with pizza & beer. Yellow helium balloons as yellow was her favorite color. grandbabies playing in the yard ... weather held up with a few gusts of wind but the balloons & tablecloth were secured with table clamps.

After a couple hours, Dad called for everyones attention out on the back porch. He said he thought it was the right time for something & hoped mom would approve.

He explained that 45 yrs ago when the Air Force was getting ready to send him back to the States from Japan (where my sister & I were born) that my mom had a request:

"Find something special for the girls. Something unique from Japan that we will keep safe until they are grown & we can give to them when the time is right".

He said something had been telling him that it was "the right" time & he hoped she would approve.

My sister & I about fell over when we opened our velvet boxes to find custom made Mikimoto Pearl brooches. In addition we were each given live potted Mums. I was in shock & my sister was in tears; we feel very lucky to have had them as parents. And it felt like mom was ...there.

A few more hours later & I was on my way home with my younger kids & the older ones were heading out along with my sister & her family leaving for Denver.

Then I get the call from dad yesterday & stopped by. He said "please go look in my room & tell me what you see".

So I did & everything looked pretty typical. I did notice the 3 yellow helium balloons from the party; still full but only a few inches off the ground. I said "Well; just the balloons ... you want me to bring them down?" He said "Oh no. Just leave them there. I just wanted someone else to see them too. They have stayed right there since Saturday ..." And then he told me the whole story.

My 21 yr old daughter helped him clean up after the party & she asked him "what about the balloons? Do you want to keep them?" He said he had forgot about them; that he meant to pass them out to the grandbabies (his great-grands) & maybe she could just clip them by the front door. So she did; clamped them to a bookshelf with the tablecloth clip that they were tied to.

He said he was anxious that night & didn't go to bed until around 2am, after pacing around for a bit & double checking the windows & doors. Then he went upstairs to his bedroom, shut his door & went to bed.

A few hours later he woke to use the restroom & noticed that his door was open. And hovering above him & the bed, in the dark; were the 3 yellow balloons, still tied securely to the springloaded clamp that had held the table just fine while outside in the wind

My dad: Ret. Air Force Colonol turned city administrator. Was based in Intelligence with top security clearance & worked at the Pentagon. Not a guy given to "woo". People used to bug him all the time about what he might "really know" about Roswell or paranormal stuff & his answer was always the same:"Nothing to know."

It's kind of funny but I remember my mom telling me "Your dad is a very smart man ... but he's a little closed minded!"

He just wanted me to see them & he wanted to know what my thoughts were. My thoughts ... were simply that mom was telling him "Well done".

Old 08-25-2017, 12:35 AM

Wow that was an amazing story!!! Gave me goosebumps.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:09 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,906,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
If he had merely questioned, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

He flat out told the OP that dead people don't contact the living. That is not "questioning".
That has nothing at all to do with the point I was making about the wisdom of having a skeptics "corner". Just so it's clear, my point was: I like the forum the way that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal