Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:23 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,593,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I get it that it was your uncle who created the video. My bad. I am not saying you or your uncle are liars. But without something better than some noises and no clear video of this bigfoot its not a very convincing story. I think the guy with the other youtube video is correct. Its a gator that killed the deer. A gator would use the water as a tool to kill the deer, they have the advantage over land animals that way. It hides in the water, waits for the deer to approach and strikes. And you can see the snout of the gator in the video.

If there was a bigfoot how on earth would he catch a deer with his bare hands? Do bigfoots have shotguns? I have spent time in the woods all my life. You can't get that close to deer and they would be way faster than any 8 foot tall bigfoot.

If I did see bigfoot like your uncle claims. I would do whatever it took to video or photo it. It would be one of the biggest discoveries in history and probably be worth a fortune. If I could not get the camera to work. I would have a team with me scouring the whole area like you would do with a missing person and track it down. I would do it day and night until I found it.

But you all have not done that correct?

The deer didn't die. My uncle ran back to get his rifle and when he returned the deer was standing next to the waterfall (out of frame of the video to the right) shaken but with no signs of physical harm. He didn't see anything else and still spooked, he decided to leave. I can't tell you why... because I live at the northern end of the state while he lives in the southwest side of the state. 400 miles separate us. Again, keep in mind... what I am telling you all is what is being told to me. I have not been there, nor have I seen anything more than you all have. He and I had the discussion about going back and he refuses. That is what helps my belief, because my uncle is a big man and has never been afraid of anything. He will not set foot back on that property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Okay, let me put forth a question that should be very obvious: Why didn't anyone return to the site and film the aftermath? If the struggle actually took place, it should abound in footprints and hair samples. At the very least, it should show evidence of the struggle that allegedly took place.

Couple of reasons. He was replacing a door on a camp house on private property. When he left and the gate was locked he can no longer gain entrance. The owners are VERY strict about who is allowed to go in there. He did return right after he made it to his truck with his rifle, but he didn't want to venture down the bank to the creek for fear that whatever it was may still be there. I get that. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback with would've, should've, could've once it's over (I asked many of these same questions to him), but when you're shaken up that bad those things don't come to mind. I get that as well.

This camp house is 20 miles from town, and there is almost zero cell coverage. 5 years ago my dad was renovating the interior of the cabin and fell through the floor joists and broke his hip. He literally had to crawl from the house to the truck, drag himself in it, and drive himself to the hospital because he was alone and couldn't get help. Neither of them would risk getting injured that far in the middle of nowhere, so not knowing what might happen my uncle chose to get away from it instead of trying to interview it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
As the OP said, it's on private property, and is maintained as some kind of remote hunting preserve. No trespassing. And the only person who knew about the incident was spooked out of his gourd. The OP said he wanted to go and examine the site and photograph, but his uncle wouldn't tell him where it was, in part because the property owner would pitch a fit if he knew anyone had been there.

It really helps to read the thread.

I KNOW where it is.... that isn't the issue. I grew up literally 10 miles from the place. I have also hunted there before as a child with my grandfather. But, I cannot get access to the area without landowner permission, and they're going to want to know why I want to go there out of hunting season. Since my uncle refuses to tell them what he ran across (for fear of it getting into the local media and his name being thrown around) I cannot go.

Quote:
You are telling me these hunters with very keen hunting dogs have never seen anything? But somehow this one guy did?

Well if all of these issues are obstacles not excuses there is a solution. I am a very proactive person. Not one that would sit around and say oh darn I guess we will never know.

Regardless I would not suggest wandering around private deer lease property without permission however everyone likes money. A 500 acre property goes for about $3,000 a year. You offer them $500 to search the area for a month off season. I don't know the property size but you go up or down with the numbers to make it work. If you have the funds you say I will pay the next two years of the lease just to be there for 6 months. Whatever it takes. Everyone has a price.

Either the leaseholder or the lessee whoever would make the decision on it. Easy to look up property records and find out who the property owner is. Its free money for them and you are not messing up the land. I can't imagine they would turn down something like this.

You get a paralegal or an attorney sympathetic with what you are doing to write up a contract. You want to have the rights to whatever you discover.

If it was me and I believed my relative I would be on this ASAP. The gains that could be made by getting real photos and evidence would be well worth it.

I am expecting a whole new set of excuses for why you won't even try to do my suggestion.

If it were hunting season, then maybe a hunter would be there. In the summer there is no one there unless they are working on the cabin or cutting the grass around it. They don't begin going in there until late September/early October to begin planting food plots.

The landholder is not going to accept money to go scout the area. If you have ever heard of pulp mills, this landowner owned both of the ones about 20 miles from there. When they sold those the family retired. Money isn't an issue for them and getting rights to prowl around their property (without telling them why) would be next to impossible, or so expensive it wouldn't be worth it.

As I have said for the hundredth time now... I live 400 miles from there. My family has jobs and lives to live. I haven't had time to go home at all this year and likely won't get to until the holidays. I am not going down there to search for anything. However, I do hunt while at home and this land connects to my dad's land, so if I run across something there I will video it and share it.

I am merely passing along the story that was passed to me for conversation.

The only belief I have in this is that my uncle has never lied to me or my family and has no reason to. I also know how alligators behave, and what they and deer sound like so I know that whatever the sound is... is not any of those creatures. Beyond that I cannot tell you what it is.

That town doesn't want strangers turning up from every corner of the country to trespass and snoop around, and we all understand that. Going public with something like that would create a havoc that no one in town wants. The town is already inundated once per year for a play at the courthouse for a very well known book, and that is painful for the residents there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
That's absolutely right, this one guy did.

Oh, by the way--he turned off his camera at a pivotal moment, it would appear.

As I said before, I fully expect many not to believe it. I am fine with that and so is he. When you've never believed anything like this before and are used to running upon creatures in the woods would you really expect to run upon something like that and be ready with your camera?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:36 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,593,168 times
If you'd like to look it up on Google maps, feel free. I won't pinpoint the exact location ,but you can at least see the terrain.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ga...!4d-87.5346395

Old 08-18-2017, 08:08 AM

22,836 posts, read 28,056,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I am merely passing along the story that was passed to me for conversation.
And I appreciated it, even if I remain unconvinced. It's a great story and I'm glad you shared it.

But I don't know you and I don't know your uncle. But I know if this were any of my uncles, I would strongly suspect he was pulling my leg, because that is what uncles do --- at least in my family.

As for whether or not Bigfoot actually exists ...

Myself, I am very skeptical but try to keep an open mind. I have a very hard time believing that a sizeable enough population of primate-like creatures would be able to escape detection in the modern world. Not a single authenticated photograph or video or tuft of hair or bone or DNA sample. Not one in decades of searching. Add to that: Large mammals not only need a sizeable population to maintain a healthy breeding stock, but we take a lot of daily calories. North America doesn't offer the nutrient-rich foliage of places like equatorial Africa or Borneo. Any big primate out in our woods would have to supplement its diet with meat, which means we would need to have a large population of carnivorous mammals out there in the woods. And again, I just have a hard time believing that such a large population of large animals could escape detection for decades.

That said ...

Enough people have seen "something" over the years that isn't always explainable as bears, moose, or hoaxes.

So if Bigfoot is out there --- and I maintain it is still a big "IF" --- then the supernatural remains the most plausible explanation. There are more Feet in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in modern philosophies.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:54 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,343,879 times
Default I think it's a bear

Quote:
Amazing that in 2017 with all the high quality iPhones and other recording devices that the video quality is still in 1972 at least when we are looking for Bigfoot or UFO's or any of this kind of thing.

And I am confused. I thought Bigfoot was in N. California. I went by Happy Camp up there years ago and they have a tribute to Bigfoot. Now he is in Alabama.
MOMMA bear coaches her babies all the time. How big do the bears get in "Bama?? The first bears of the year just arrived...on my lawn. But this is a "bear nursery" of young'uns.

The big boys come through and keep going. Standing they're eight feet easy. And those are black bears.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:39 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,868,701 times
What are Sasquatch actually? Are they Hominid? Ursine? Feline? What? I wouldn't want to bet money about it but I doubt that any other First World culture continues to nurture legends into the 21st Century!!! Please stop it. It's embarassing. There is no "Bigfoot". There cannot be such a thing. After so long, undetected except grainy photographs taken under dubious conditions, there is no way a rational culture could continue to sustain belief in a Sasquatch or Bigfoot.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:10 PM

3,040 posts, read 4,975,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
What are Sasquatch actually? Are they Hominid? Ursine? Feline? What? I wouldn't want to bet money about it but I doubt that any other First World culture continues to nurture legends into the 21st Century!!! Please stop it. It's embarassing. There is no "Bigfoot". There cannot be such a thing. After so long, undetected except grainy photographs taken under dubious conditions, there is no way a rational culture could continue to sustain belief in a Sasquatch or Bigfoot.
You live in the Pacific Northwest, so you most likely know just how rugged the terrain is in the Cascade Mountains and just how much area is involved. Recently they found an animal called the Humboldt Marten in the Siskiyou Wilderness, what is important about this, they thought it to be extinct. What I am pointing to, is don't say something "can not" exist, for you can not be everywhere all the time.

Legends abound in the Pacific Northwest from the Indians that have inhabited this country for thousands of years about large hairy men-like creatures. The tribe I belong to, Modoc, have stories of them going back to before Mt. Mazama erupted, they called them Matah Kagmi. They were said to be the guardians of the scared mountains. From what we have found about "legends" there seems to be a hint of truth in these, so who is to say that they can not exist. Native Americans tribes from all over the Pacific Northwest have stories about these creatures and call them by different names. The Tsimshian called them Ba'wis, the Wenatchi called them Choanito, the Modoc called them Matah Kagmi, and so on. Just because we don't have one locked up in a zoo somewhere doesn't mean they don't exist.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,752,547 times
Quote:
The deer didn't die. My uncle ran back to get his rifle and when he returned the deer was standing next to the waterfall (out of frame of the video to the right) shaken but with no signs of physical harm...
So the deer won that round and sent the apex predator packing. This thing just gets sillier by the day.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:52 PM

29,813 posts, read 11,381,900 times
Quote:

I KNOW where it is.... that isn't the issue. I grew up literally 10 miles from the place. I have also hunted there before as a child with my grandfather. But, I cannot get access to the area without landowner permission, and they're going to want to know why I want to go there out of hunting season. Since my uncle refuses to tell them what he ran across (for fear of it getting into the local media and his name being thrown around) I cannot go.

The landholder is not going to accept money to go scout the area. If you have ever heard of pulp mills, this landowner owned both of the ones about 20 miles from there. When they sold those the family retired. Money isn't an issue for them and getting rights to prowl around their property (without telling them why) would be next to impossible, or so expensive it wouldn't be worth it.
Thanks for responding to my questions. You make some valid points. I live in a small town and I know how they can be in small towns. You are tying to work get some gigs and with something like this everyone thinks you are a kook and the work dries up. First priority is your family and survival not bigfoot.

I would imagine there are paranormal or bigfoot investigative groups out there that have perhaps resources to work something out with the landowner and not involve your family directly. They could say someone was flying a small plane over the area and saw something. Whatever use your imagination. They could work some deal out that if something is recovered or recorded as proof whatever proceeds might come from that would be shared with the property owner and the organization, and you could have a different deal only with the organization and the property owner would not know about it. If you don't care about money then just stay out of the loop. But you are talking millions here if you really have proof. I would want a share if I was your family.

Sure the landowner could just say no or say they will do their own research. Sounds like they are retired and have no experience with this kind of thing so it would make sense to work with a group who knows what they are doing.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:02 PM

29,813 posts, read 11,381,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
MOMMA bear coaches her babies all the time. How big do the bears get in "Bama?? The first bears of the year just arrived...on my lawn. But this is a "bear nursery" of young'uns.

The big boys come through and keep going. Standing they're eight feet easy. And those are black bears.
Its true Bigfoot could migrate anywhere like bears do. Only difference is we have more than enough evidence that bears exist. All over the country. No one questions the existence of bears.

But as far as bigfoot goes we don't have one substantiated photo or video or any DNA evidence that proves it. I can't prove bigfoot does not exist but neither can someone else prove that it does. The clearest video, the Patterson video was a admitted hoax. That is very damaging.

Either bigfoot is the most elusive mammal or whatever it is that has ever existed or its all fiction.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:34 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 10 days ago)

34,431 posts, read 16,517,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Entertaining but ultimately inconclusive. I saw something in the video. No idea what it was. Something moving in the water. But the video quality was too poor to see a deer, a sasquatch, or any glowing eyes.

But here is what I don't understand: If you're filming a sasquatch, why not zoom in? Why have the money shot up in the very top of your screen where no one can see it? And why turn the phone off???
At some level I believe that in extremely isolated areas there may be new mammal or other animal finds. But on the other side I always wonder why the videos now or pictures back in the day were always of poor quality or someone just happens to turn the camera off.

As Led Zeppelin said "oh it makes you wonder."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal