U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2017, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Huntsville
5,467 posts, read 5,002,913 times
Reputation: 6284

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
MOMMA bear coaches her babies all the time. How big do the bears get in "Bama?? The first bears of the year just arrived...on my lawn. But this is a "bear nursery" of young'uns.

The big boys come through and keep going. Standing they're eight feet easy. And those are black bears.



There are very few bears in Alabama and there haven't been black bears spotted in South Alabama in that area in my lifetime. Is it possible? Probably. But my uncle would have known that it was a bear since he camps in Tennessee regularly and sees them frequently. That is what has me scratching my head the most.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
What are Sasquatch actually? Are they Hominid? Ursine? Feline? What? I wouldn't want to bet money about it but I doubt that any other First World culture continues to nurture legends into the 21st Century!!! Please stop it. It's embarassing. There is no "Bigfoot". There cannot be such a thing. After so long, undetected except grainy photographs taken under dubious conditions, there is no way a rational culture could continue to sustain belief in a Sasquatch or Bigfoot.
I would like to agree with you, however species of animal are still found that we don't know about. I think it's rational to say that humans cannot cover every square inch of ground enough to know that every species of creature has been identified. We just don't know.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
So the deer won that round and sent the apex predator packing. This thing just gets sillier by the day.
If you read what I posted previously.... he said that he scared whatever it was off. I didn't say anywhere that a deer got the better of whatever this was. It stands to say that the deer would have met its end had he not come along.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Thanks for responding to my questions. You make some valid points. I live in a small town and I know how they can be in small towns. You are tying to work get some gigs and with something like this everyone thinks you are a kook and the work dries up. First priority is your family and survival not bigfoot.

I would imagine there are paranormal or bigfoot investigative groups out there that have perhaps resources to work something out with the landowner and not involve your family directly. They could say someone was flying a small plane over the area and saw something. Whatever use your imagination. They could work some deal out that if something is recovered or recorded as proof whatever proceeds might come from that would be shared with the property owner and the organization, and you could have a different deal only with the organization and the property owner would not know about it. If you don't care about money then just stay out of the loop. But you are talking millions here if you really have proof. I would want a share if I was your family.

Sure the landowner could just say no or say they will do their own research. Sounds like they are retired and have no experience with this kind of thing so it would make sense to work with a group who knows what they are doing.
This exactly..... it's just not safe to make those kind of claims and risk losing your revenue streams. Besides, you see the reactions on here. Imagine the reactions in person.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
You posted the video here.
And? I posted what was sent to me for others to look at and provide their opinion. I have nothing more to go on than anyone else other than trusting my family, who have never had a reason to lie before. They get no benefit from doing so since he wishes to remain anonymous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Same old blurry something-or-other based on hearsay. We don't know these people or their level of objectivity, except for what you're describing (hearsay in itself).

That growling could have been a bear, mutant hog, etc. My best theory on "Bigfoot" is bears on two legs, a known phenomenon. People get scared in the woods over various things as their imaginations run wild.
Growing up in the woods (and owning a logging company with my dad in the 80s where they LIVED in the woods working from daylight to past dark every week) I would think he would be able to tell the difference in an animal that he has seen before and one that he has not. We aren't talking about some city slicker who has never been in the woods. We are talking about someone who grew up in the woods. While I get that no one on her aside from me knows their level of objectivity, I see no reason to attempt to attack his (or my) character as a lot of folks on here are attempting to do. None of us have anything to gain from this. Especially me, since I still haven't been home yet this year. I merely find this intriguing so I thought I would share with others.


What I do find odd, is that people are very quick to dismiss any possibility of something not yet officially discovered simply because they haven't seen it themselves. I get that, as typically I am the same way and I didn't see this in person either. But over the years I have seen some things that have made me question my beliefs (unrelated to this) and question whether or not what I think I know is really true, so I have tried to learn to have an open mind when I can.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2017, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
5,170 posts, read 3,680,927 times
Reputation: 6321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
There are very few bears in Alabama and there haven't been black bears spotted in South Alabama in that area in my lifetime. Is it possible? Probably. But my uncle would have known that it was a bear since he camps in Tennessee regularly and sees them frequently. That is what has me scratching my head the most.
Black Bear Sightings Increase in South Alabama | Outdoor Alabama

Black bear sightings on the rise in Alabama; here's what to do if you see one | AL.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I would like to agree with you, however species of animal are still found that we don't know about. I think it's rational to say that humans cannot cover every square inch of ground enough to know that every species of creature has been identified. We just don't know.
This is true but you jump from unknown to bigfoot at light speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
If you read what I posted previously.... he said that he scared whatever it was off. I didn't say anywhere that a deer got the better of whatever this was. It stands to say that the deer would have met its end had he not come along.
REALLY? So you now know the deer would have met its end, this without even knowing what it was. This is a large, unsupported jump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
This exactly..... it's just not safe to make those kind of claims and risk losing your revenue streams. Besides, you see the reactions on here. Imagine the reactions in person.
If making revenue were the goal he could have made a lot of revenue if he would have been the first person to catch a live Bigfoot on camera...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
And? I posted what was sent to me for others to look at and provide their opinion. I have nothing more to go on than anyone else other than trusting my family, who have never had a reason to lie before. They get no benefit from doing so since he wishes to remain anonymous.
Well you say it is the deer would have met its end had your uncle not come along...

If you do not wish to be asked questions than perhaps a forum is not the place. A blog or YouTube with the comments turned off may be better. Here we thought that someone posted on a forum that we could discuss what they posted, not get shut down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Growing up in the woods (and owning a logging company with my dad in the 80s where they LIVED in the woods working from daylight to past dark every week) I would think he would be able to tell the difference in an animal that he has seen before and one that he has not.
This sounds like it means something but it really does not. The human mind and senses are not perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
We aren't talking about some city slicker who has never been in the woods.
Those city slickers! They are so stupid! The probably would have kept the camera rolling. Sheesh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
We are talking about someone who grew up in the woods. While I get that no one on her aside from me knows their level of objectivity, I see no reason to attempt to attack his (or my) character as a lot of folks on here are attempting to do. None of us have anything to gain from this. Especially me, since I still haven't been home yet this year. I merely find this intriguing so I thought I would share with others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Huntsville
5,467 posts, read 5,002,913 times
Reputation: 6284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Black Bear Sightings Increase in South Alabama | Outdoor Alabama

Black bear sightings on the rise in Alabama; here's what to do if you see one | AL.com

This is true but you jump from unknown to bigfoot at light speed.

REALLY? So you now know the deer would have met its end, this without even knowing what it was. This is a large, unsupported jump.

If making revenue were the goal he could have made a lot of revenue if he would have been the first person to catch a live Bigfoot on camera...

Well you say it is the deer would have met its end had your uncle not come along...

If you do not wish to be asked questions than perhaps a forum is not the place. A blog or YouTube with the comments turned off may be better. Here we thought that someone posted on a forum that we could discuss what they posted, not get shut down.

This sounds like it means something but it really does not. The human mind and senses are not perfect.

Those city slickers! They are so stupid! The probably would have kept the camera rolling. Sheesh!


You can choose to throw personal attacks until your heart is content. It doesn't change anything.


1. Again, black bears have not yet been sighted in THAT area in South Alabama. BUT....I also said it was possible that there could be some there. I also said that he would know the difference.
2. I never said that I knew the deer wouldn't have met its end. I said it probably would have if things were as my uncle said. What is a large jump it to assume that nothing is true. I don't know if it is, but I don't doubt a possibility of something we aren't aware of.
3. Aside from being unaware of what he was about to stumble upon, he doesn't want to risk losing his business. If you aren't from a small town, you wouldn't understand. Reputation is EVERYTHING with a small business. Word of mouth spreads like wildfire. The most reasonable thing to do is keep quiet and move on, which is what he has done.
4. See #2.
5. Questions are fine..... personal attacks are something else. There's really no reason to attempt to attack a person simply because you don't agree with their posts. I've made it VERY clear that I don't have all the answers. I don't think you can find where I've said otherwise.
6. Exactly. Sometimes people think they see one thing while seeing something else. Sometimes people cannot process what they see. And sometimes people try to rationalize away what they saw because it goes against their beliefs.
7. My point was that he isn't someone who has never been in the woods.


Any more attacks that you would care to throw out there? Ask any questions you want.... If I can answer them I'll tell you what I know and we can discuss. If you just intend to throw out attacks maybe a blog or YouTube where you can watch only what you agree with is for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
5,170 posts, read 3,680,927 times
Reputation: 6321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You can choose to throw personal attacks until your heart is content. It doesn't change anything.
Can you give me a specific personal attack since you are making the accusation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
1. Again, black bears have not yet been sighted in THAT area in South Alabama. BUT....I also said it was possible that there could be some there. I also said that he would know the difference.
A quick search shows that there are numerous articles on black bears in Southern Alabama increasing. Can you tell us the specific area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
2. I never said that I knew the deer wouldn't have met its end. I said it probably would have if things were as my uncle said. What is a large jump it to assume that nothing is true. I don't know if it is, but I don't doubt a possibility of something we aren't aware of.
To quote you directly:

"It stands to say that the deer would have met its end had he not come along."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
3. Aside from being unaware of what he was about to stumble upon, he doesn't want to risk losing his business. If you aren't from a small town, you wouldn't understand. Reputation is EVERYTHING with a small business. Word of mouth spreads like wildfire. The most reasonable thing to do is keep quiet and move on, which is what he has done.
Was it about revenue or reputation? Because it stands he could have made much more from the first video of a Bigfoot than in his business. If it was about reputation you believe him, I am sure others would as well.....ESPECIALLY WITH VIDEO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
4. See #2.
To quote you directly:

"It stands to say that the deer would have met its end had he not come along."

Also you posted this in a forum so people are going to ask questions and make points. If your uncle had posted this we would have asked him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
5. Questions are fine..... personal attacks are something else. There's really no reason to attempt to attack a person simply because you don't agree with their posts. I've made it VERY clear that I don't have all the answers. I don't think you can find where I've said otherwise.
Can you post what this personal attack was? Because accusing me of making a personal attack when I did not is in fact a personal attack. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
6. Exactly. Sometimes people think they see one thing while seeing something else. Sometimes people cannot process what they see. And sometimes people try to rationalize away what they saw because it goes against their beliefs.
But that did not happen in this case AND there is not clear video...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
7. My point was that he isn't someone who has never been in the woods.
To me this really does not matter. What matters is that there is a huge unsupported jump to a specific, in this case Bigfoot. I may not have spent as much time in the woods as he has but I know there are things that happen that I do not have the answer for. I see things that happen quick in the corner of my eye and when I look there is nothing, I hear things, I find things.

Once we were on a patrol at night. There was snow on the ground. We came to a stop, so you know what that means, prone facing out. So we are all in the prone position in a line facing out while the squad leader and team leader are ciphering things out. It is dark out, like pitch dark where you do not even mistake a tree for the guy in front of you dark.

Well we were prone for a few minutes and all of a sudden something is on the back of my legs. Apparently something ran down the squad on top of us. We all started laughing because we thought it was a rabbit, and that was odd. But maybe us city slickers were stoopid? Maybe it was a fairy or a dwarf?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Any more attacks that you would care to throw out there? Ask any questions you want.... If I can answer them I'll tell you what I know and we can discuss. If you just intend to throw out attacks maybe a blog or YouTube where you can watch only what you agree with is for you.
I have one question:

What was the personal attack I made?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:37 AM
 
Location: New York Area
22,958 posts, read 9,108,934 times
Reputation: 17952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I would like an answer to this as well.
Maybe he as a Sasquatch as a pet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 08:56 AM
 
12,216 posts, read 11,631,333 times
Reputation: 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks for the additional narrative, OP. It helps. I hear what you're saying, about your uncle being seriously freaked out. It's a good story, once you add the details, and explain a bit.

I wanted to believe B'foot was real. I looked at a lot of videos online. ALL of them have been debunked, and very credibly so. So I gave up. But something like what you describe--a "thing" wrestling with a deer in the water, couldn't have been faked by a guy in a giant gorilla suit. Not like the video from a cop car on its regularly-scheduled nightly patrol down rural roads, where suddenly a bigfoot runs across the road in front of the car. That's easy to fake. Your story isn't.

I guess we all need to take zoom-lens cameras with us, anytime we're going out into isolated areas, just in case.
ALL of them have been debunked, and very credibly so. So I gave up.

I say you are wrong. Show me where MK Davis is wrong!

What is this credibly so suff? You are just being a passive aggressive about this topic.

PROVE WHAT YOU SAY!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 AM
 
14,793 posts, read 3,969,050 times
Reputation: 9738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
This exactly..... it's just not safe to make those kind of claims and risk losing your revenue streams. Besides, you see the reactions on here. Imagine the reactions in person.
My issue here is you have if true is a million dollar story but a two bit explanation as to why you are not interested in pursuing any follow up on this.

A good example. You have a elderly relative who is on their deathbed. Your uncle is there. The elderly person confesses to your Uncle that they buried a million dollars in gold on this deer lease in Alabama. Tells him exactly where it is located. Then they pass away. Your uncle tells your father and you about this. But you uncle decides against looking for it because no one is allowed on the property and if they told the property owner the truth the owner would look for it themselves or they will think he has a crazy story and won't believe him. Sound familiar?

When finding the truth with someone and I did loss prevention work for a time, you look for the truth in what they are doing or going to do, not in what they are saying.

Your story is interesting. Your reasons for inaction makes no sense in the context of a huge payday. It does make sense if all you are trying to do is promote some videos and get a few bucks from google if they get popular.

How much do YouTubers make when each of their videos get 50k, 100k, 500k, 1m, and 1.5m views?

https://www.quora.com/How-much-do-Yo...and-1-5m-views
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 09:06 AM
 
12,216 posts, read 11,631,333 times
Reputation: 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It just doesn't make any sense to turn off your camera at the pivotal moment. You'll notice that history never recorded ...

"And lo! when the next day dawned, in the distance we saw the shores of India. So I threw the ships logs in the ocean, and we turned around and went home." (Christopher Columbus)

"Mr. Watson--come here--I want to see you." And so Alexander Graham Bell then cut the wires and tossed the telephone into the garbage. (wrote no historian ever)

"And just when I was about to be the first man to step on the moon, I thought: Nah. Maybe another time. So I climbed back into the module." (Neil Armstrong)

"I knew a chain of fast-food restaurants could make me millions, so I decided to go sell vacuum cleaners instead." (Ray Kroc)
I can accept the explanation. When something like this happens to a person about 99% of us get rattled. You see something that shakes you to your very soul and it happened where you have been the Apex predator all your life and then you see something that could kill you in seconds and suddenly all your past beliefs are contradicted right in front of your eyes. This is what hooks people.

I recently got a guy converted over after he saw two at about 100 ft away in a place you just couldn't imagine. He told me that his life will never be the same again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 09:33 AM
 
12,216 posts, read 11,631,333 times
Reputation: 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The deer didn't die. My uncle ran back to get his rifle and when he returned the deer was standing next to the waterfall (out of frame of the video to the right) shaken but with no signs of physical harm. He didn't see anything else and still spooked, he decided to leave. I can't tell you why... because I live at the northern end of the state while he lives in the southwest side of the state. 400 miles separate us. Again, keep in mind... what I am telling you all is what is being told to me. I have not been there, nor have I seen anything more than you all have. He and I had the discussion about going back and he refuses. That is what helps my belief, because my uncle is a big man and has never been afraid of anything. He will not set foot back on that property.







Couple of reasons. He was replacing a door on a camp house on private property. When he left and the gate was locked he can no longer gain entrance. The owners are VERY strict about who is allowed to go in there. He did return right after he made it to his truck with his rifle, but he didn't want to venture down the bank to the creek for fear that whatever it was may still be there. I get that. It's easy to be an armchair quarterback with would've, should've, could've once it's over (I asked many of these same questions to him), but when you're shaken up that bad those things don't come to mind. I get that as well.

This camp house is 20 miles from town, and there is almost zero cell coverage. 5 years ago my dad was renovating the interior of the cabin and fell through the floor joists and broke his hip. He literally had to crawl from the house to the truck, drag himself in it, and drive himself to the hospital because he was alone and couldn't get help. Neither of them would risk getting injured that far in the middle of nowhere, so not knowing what might happen my uncle chose to get away from it instead of trying to interview it.






I KNOW where it is.... that isn't the issue. I grew up literally 10 miles from the place. I have also hunted there before as a child with my grandfather. But, I cannot get access to the area without landowner permission, and they're going to want to know why I want to go there out of hunting season. Since my uncle refuses to tell them what he ran across (for fear of it getting into the local media and his name being thrown around) I cannot go.






If it were hunting season, then maybe a hunter would be there. In the summer there is no one there unless they are working on the cabin or cutting the grass around it. They don't begin going in there until late September/early October to begin planting food plots.


The landholder is not going to accept money to go scout the area. If you have ever heard of pulp mills, this landowner owned both of the ones about 20 miles from there. When they sold those the family retired. Money isn't an issue for them and getting rights to prowl around their property (without telling them why) would be next to impossible, or so expensive it wouldn't be worth it.


As I have said for the hundredth time now... I live 400 miles from there. My family has jobs and lives to live. I haven't had time to go home at all this year and likely won't get to until the holidays. I am not going down there to search for anything. However, I do hunt while at home and this land connects to my dad's land, so if I run across something there I will video it and share it.


I am merely passing along the story that was passed to me for conversation.


The only belief I have in this is that my uncle has never lied to me or my family and has no reason to. I also know how alligators behave, and what they and deer sound like so I know that whatever the sound is... is not any of those creatures. Beyond that I cannot tell you what it is.


That town doesn't want strangers turning up from every corner of the country to trespass and snoop around, and we all understand that. Going public with something like that would create a havoc that no one in town wants. The town is already inundated once per year for a play at the courthouse for a very well known book, and that is painful for the residents there.





As I said before, I fully expect many not to believe it. I am fine with that and so is he. When you've never believed anything like this before and are used to running upon creatures in the woods would you really expect to run upon something like that and be ready with your camera?
Just ignore these naysayer attacks. It is against the TOS to be attacking you. I pretty much just post on facebook forums where they cannot attack you and will help you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2017, 09:36 AM
 
12,216 posts, read 11,631,333 times
Reputation: 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And I appreciated it, even if I remain unconvinced. It's a great story and I'm glad you shared it.

But I don't know you and I don't know your uncle. But I know if this were any of my uncles, I would strongly suspect he was pulling my leg, because that is what uncles do --- at least in my family.

As for whether or not Bigfoot actually exists ...

Myself, I am very skeptical but try to keep an open mind. I have a very hard time believing that a sizeable enough population of primate-like creatures would be able to escape detection in the modern world. Not a single authenticated photograph or video or tuft of hair or bone or DNA sample. Not one in decades of searching. Add to that: Large mammals not only need a sizeable population to maintain a healthy breeding stock, but we take a lot of daily calories. North America doesn't offer the nutrient-rich foliage of places like equatorial Africa or Borneo. Any big primate out in our woods would have to supplement its diet with meat, which means we would need to have a large population of carnivorous mammals out there in the woods. And again, I just have a hard time believing that such a large population of large animals could escape detection for decades.

That said ...

Enough people have seen "something" over the years that isn't always explainable as bears, moose, or hoaxes.

So if Bigfoot is out there --- and I maintain it is still a big "IF" --- then the supernatural remains the most plausible explanation. There are more Feet in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in modern philosophies.
All you do is sit at you computer and try to anataganise people on there post. Get out there your self and you will see for yuorself if you have the guts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top