Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 11:59 PM

6,905 posts, read 6,794,183 times

Advertisements

Wikipedia Project Magnet
Quote:
Project Magnet was an unidentified flying object (UFO) study programme established by Transport Canada on December 2, 1950, under the direction of Wilbert B. Smith, senior radio engineer for the Transport Canada's Broadcast and Measurements Section. It was formally active until mid-1954, and informally active without government funding until Smith's death in 1962. Smith eventually concluded that UFOs were probably extraterrestrial in origin and likely operated by manipulation of magnetism.
Quote:
Smith made a request to use the facilities of the Department of Transport to study UFOs. The project was formally approved on December 2, 1950 with the intention to collect data about UFOs and apply any recovered data to practical engineering and technology. The ultimate goal of the project was to apply any findings on the subject of geomagnetism to the possibility of exploiting Earth's magnetic field as a source of propulsion for vehicles. Smith and his colleagues in government believed that UFOs, if real, might hold the key to this new source of power. A small-scale undertaking, the project used DOT facilities, with some assistance from personnel at the Defence Research Board (DRB) and the National Research Council. In June 1952 Smith issued a preliminary report arguing that UFOs likely came from intelligent, extraterrestrial sources and almost certainly manipulated magnetism for flight. A 1953 report reiterated these conclusions. Also in April 1952 the Canadian government established Project Second Storey, a parallel UFO research project, with Smith also involved.
Wilbert B Smith

It is not much of a stretch of the imagination to believe that governments have "UFO technology" developed by back-engineering crashed craft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 08:52 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,455,447 times
It is a huge stretch of the imagination to make the jump from alien space craft are not visiting this planet to we are back engineering alien spacecraft.

Here is his memo which all of this is based on:

Quote:
TOP SECRET -------------- (downgraded to CONFIDENTIAL 15/9/69)
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
D E P A R T M E N T O F T R A N S P O RT
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Intra-departmental Correspondence OTTAWA, Ontario, November 21, 1950 Place date
File Subject Our file Geo-Magnetics (R.ST.)[/CENTER]
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]
[CENTER]MEMORANDUM TO THE CONTROLLER OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS:[/CENTER]

[LEFT]For the past several years we have been engaged in the study of various aspects of radio wave propagation. The vagaries of this phenomenon have led us into the fields of aurora, cosmic radiation, atmospheric radio-activity and geo-magnetism. In the case of geo-magnetics our investigations have contributed little to our knowledge of radio wave propagation as yet, but nevertheless have indicated several avenues of investigation which may well be explored with profit. For example, we are on the track of a means whereby the potential energy of the earth's magnetic field may be abstracted and used.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]On the basis of theoretical considerations a small and very crude experimental unit was constructed approximately a year ago and tested in our Standards Laboratory. The tests were essentially successful in that sufficient energy was abstracted from the earth's field to operate a voltmeter, approximately 50 milliwatts. Although this unit was far from being self-sustaining, it nevertheless demonstrated the soundness of the basic principles in a qualitative manner and provided useful data for the design of a better unit.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]The design has now been completed for a unit which should be self- sustaining and in addition provide a small surplus of power. Such a unit, in addition to functioning as a 'pilot power plant' should be large enough to permit the study of the various reaction forces which are expected to develop.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]We believe that we are on the track of something which may well prove to be the introduction to a new technology. The existence of a different technology is borne out by the investigations which are being carried on at the present time in relation to flying saucers.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]While in Washington attending the NARB Conference, two books were released one titled "Behind the Flying Saucer" by Frank Scully, and the other "The Flying Saucers are Real" by Donald Keyhoe. Both books dealt mostly with the sightings of unidentified objects and both books claim that flying objects were of extra-terrestrial origin and might well be space ships from another planet. Scully claimed that the preliminary studies of one saucer which fell into the hands of the United States Government indicated that they operated on some hitherto unknown magnetic pinciples. It appeared to me that our own work in geo-magnetics might well be the linkage between our technology and the technology by which the saucers are designed and operated. If it is assumed that our geo-magnetic investigations are in the right direction, the theory of operation of the saucers becomes quite straightforward, with all observed features explained qualitatively and quantitatively.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]I made discreet enquiries through the Canadian Embassy staff in Washington who were able to obtain for me the following information:

a. The matter is the most highly classified subject in the United States Government, rating higher even than the H-bomb.

b. Flying saucers exist.[/LEFT]
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]c. Their modus operandi is unknown but concentrated effort is being made by a small group headed by Doctor Vannevar Bush.

d. The entire matter is considered by the United States authorities to be of tremendous significance.

I was further informed that the United States authorities are investigating along quite a number of lines which might possibly be related to the saucers such as mental phenomena and I gather that they are not doing too well since they indicated that if Canada is doing anything at all in geo-magnetics they would welcome a discussion with suitably accredited Canadians.

While I am not yet in a position to say that we have solved even the first problems in geo-magnetic energy release, I feel that the correlation between our basic theory and the available information on saucers checks too closely to be mere coincidence. It is my honest opinion that we are on the right track and are fairly close to at least some of the answers.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Mr. Wright, Defence Research Board liaison officer at the Canadian Embassy in Washington, was extremely anxious for me to get in touch with Doctor Solandt, Chairman of the Defence Research Board, to discuss with him future investigations along the line of geo-magnetic energy release.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]I do not feel that we have as yet sufficient data to place before Defence Research Board which would enable a program to be initiated within that organization, but I do feel that further research is necessary and I would prefer to see it done within the frame work of our own organization with, of course, full co-operation and exchange of information with other interested bodies.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]I discussed this matter fully with Doctor Solandt, Chairman of Defence Research Board, on November 20th and placed before him as much information as I have been able to gather to date. Doctor Solandt agreed that work on geo-magnetic energy should go forward as rapidly as possible and offered full co-operation of his Board inproviding laboratory facilities. Acquisition of necessary items of equipment, and specialized personnel for incidental work in the project. I indicated to Doctor Solandt that we would prefer to keep the project within the Department of Transport for the time being until we have obtained sufficient information to permit a complete assessment of the value of the work.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]It is therefore recommended that a PROJECT be set up within the frame work of this Section to study this problem and that the work be carried on a part time basis until such time as sufficient tangible results can be seen to warrant more definitive action. Cost of the program in its initial stages are expected to be less than a few hundred dollars and can be carried by our Radio Standards Lab appropriation. Attached hereto is a draft of terms of reference for such a project which, if authorized, will enable us to proceed with this research work within our own organization.[/LEFT]

[CENTER](signed) W B S M I T H
(W.B. Smith) Senior Radio Engineer[/CENTER]
There is no firsthand information, it is all second hand at best and you would have to trust this guy. This was in 1950 and I have seen nothing to verify this at all.

It is a nice story though and would be an interesting movie.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:00 AM

ocpaul20,

The picture NASA doesn't want you to see:

Old 08-19-2017, 01:54 AM

I think you will see this guy was really quite clever. There are some more letters and articles on his page on rexresearch.com which talk of discovery of 1% weight changes. Also pages on Project Magnet , the Caduceus Coil and New Science ideas he had. If you bother to read them it seems he was definitely on the trail of gravity control and its use. This was back in the 1950s.

More on Wilbert B Smith

Last edited by ocpaul20; 08-19-2017 at 03:07 AM..

Old 08-20-2017, 09:30 AM

Exactly, this was back in the 50's. Where is it now? 67 years later?

Old 08-20-2017, 10:42 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Exactly, this was back in the 50's. Where is it now? 67 years later?
Do you actually think they would allow the public to know this exists, or even have access to such technology?

What would happen to the worlds economy if no one had to buy fuel or oil for their cars anymore...it would crumble overnight.

Nikola Tesla had planned to power vehicles with his Waycliffe towers, but he was told electro magnetic power could not be metered to the public like other fuels and power sources could be, so it was classified and kept from the public.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:30 AM

So, Old Guard... because we cannot see this technology, we dont have it, right?

Actually, we do see it in the sky all the time. There are many people reporting strange craft every day to the police and to the military. Also reporting their sightings to MUFON and similar organisations.

OK, so YOU dont accept it as real, we know that. You have told us so many times. Just because you do not believe it is true does not make it so.

There are many people like you who dont accept what is seen every day as real. In some circles it is called denial.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
So, Old Guard... because we cannot see this technology, we dont have it, right?
I am not saying that but if this guy published papers in the 50's that you are reading why is this not being used to make money if it is viable? I mean he published the blueprints so it was not top secret and 70 years later there is no fruit from this tree?

We even have enthusiasts who could do much more than he could for a hobby and still nothing.

Color me skeptical.
Quote:
Actually, we do see it in the sky all the time. There are many people reporting strange craft every day to the police and to the military. Also reporting their sightings to MUFON and similar organisations.
Even if these are alien or top secret you have no way of knowing if they are using this technology. It is that unsupported jump that you always make that makes it easy to dismiss everything you say.
Quote:
OK, so YOU dont accept it as real, we know that. You have told us so many times. Just because you do not believe it is true does not make it so.
The inverse could be said about your belief. Difference is I will openly discuss with people my beliefs, you will not even answer simple questions. To me this is intellectually dishonest to say the least.
Quote:
There are many people like you who dont accept what is seen every day as real. In some circles it is called denial.
I am interested but when I ask questions people who "know" will not answer them. In some circles this is called sketchy.

Last edited by Old Guard; 08-21-2017 at 07:03 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 03:55 AM

Quote:
I am not saying that but if this guy published papers in the 50's that you are reading why is this not being used to make money if it is viable? I mean he published the blueprints so it was not top secret and 70 years later there is no fruit from this tree?

We even have enthusiasts who could do much more than he could for a hobby and still nothing.
Not heard about the inventors who suddenly died? The Segway chap who 'fell' off a cliff? Free energy people who were 'visited' and gave it all up? Patents which get placed on the restricted list and are not processed? Energy technology which is bought up and left on a shelf somewhere?

Old 08-23-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Not heard about the inventors who suddenly died? The Segway chap who 'fell' off a cliff? Free energy people who were 'visited' and gave it all up? Patents which get placed on the restricted list and are not processed? Energy technology which is bought up and left on a shelf somewhere?
I have heard of White Walkers, Vampires and Pinocchio but that does not mean they are real. A person dying is not a mystery to me, show me the person who does not die and we will have a legit mystery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal