Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 02:52 PM

100 posts, read 67,586 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have been reading a lot of posts in this forum but never actually introduced myself or posted anything. I have had very little experiences with the Paranormal, maybe 2 or 3, but i do believe there is something out there!

There is something that I have been trying to find an explanation, but nothing comes to mind.

Back in 2002/2003 when my grandmother died I dreamt of her almost every night, but there was this specific dream that i remember every detail, because it was SO vivid! My parents and I were at my aunt/uncle's house, we were having a little family get together, and we were sitting out on the porch, when i see my grandmother approaching the house, she was wearing all white, she says hello to everyone, everyone acts normal, as if she was still alive, but in my dream i could see myself histerically crying, very, very afraid of her, and nobody could understood why i was acting that way, then she approached me to give me a kiss, and i just could smell a rotten/dead smell, but i could not only smell it in my dream, i could smell it in real life.

I don't really know how to explain it, all I know is that it's been more than 10 years since i had that dream and I still remember EVERY detail. I was 11/12 when my grandmother died.

Any thoughts on what could have happened to me? Why was i able to smell if i was dreaming and asleep in my bed?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 02:59 PM

6,403 posts, read 7,602,342 times
Maybe it was the death itself, not the person, that upset you so much. Dreams are often just unprocessed thoughts and information from our waking hours so it could be some unresolved issues surrounding her.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:42 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,896,576 times
When I was very young, I would sometimes experience bits and pieces of dream visuals lingering on briefly after I awoke. There are a lot of different states of consciousness, and the boundaries between them aren't always as clear-cut as one might think. It might be that your dream smell lingered on briefly during the transition between sleep and waking. It sounds to me, as Heidi60 says, that the reason why the dream was vivid and important was related to some unresolved issues or fears you had at that age surrounding her death.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:02 PM

10,979 posts, read 9,613,733 times
Smells are one of our senses that is most connected with memory. When we smell a smell that we associate with something in our past, that smell can trigger very evocative memories in which you almost feel transported back to that time when you smelled it previously. The smell of death/decay is not something easily forgotten (trust me on this one!), once you associate that smell with death and then your grandma died, it seems like a very vivid dream in which your brain might have connected the concept of the smell of death and grandma's death, and then when you woke up the very vivid memory of that smell lingered. That's what it would seem to me anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal