U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-05-2017, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,784 posts, read 4,499,383 times
Reputation: 10987

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolochs View Post
For someone who doesn't believe, you sure are familiar with the BF community... It's OK, SHHH! I won't tell anyone! ::wink-wink::
As I've said many times in this forum (and as other people believers like to label skeptics) I've had an interest in cryptozoology since the 1960s and have followed it since. It always amazes me that if anyone questions claims in this forum they're immediately labeled non-believers and even accused of being government plants (which has happened to me a few times).

And as I have said before multiple times, I would have given a better than 60% chance back in the 1970s that there was a real unknown animal behind the bigfoot sightings. Given what I've seen in the decades since, I now would give a 5-10% chance at best. The evidence just doesn't support a higher likelihood than that, in my opinion (and as I've said, I'd give a better than 60% chance that thylacines are not extinct on the Australian mainland based on the evidence -- which is what I go by rather than wishful thinking).

Pretty strange labeling that as non-belief -- thinking something is highly unlikely isn't defined as unbelief in my dictionary. A lot of the people here who are labeled non-believers would like nothing better than to have proof in hand that (say) a descendent of Gigantopithecus or whatever is roaming the North American continent -- but in our opinion, the solid evidence isn't there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2017, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Maine
19,182 posts, read 22,869,383 times
Reputation: 23455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
A lot of the people here who are labeled non-believers would like nothing better than to have proof in hand that (say) a descendent of Gigantopithecus or whatever is roaming the North American continent -- but in our opinion, the solid evidence isn't there.
Yep. I would gladly adopt one, and I promise you he would sit in the passenger seat everywhere I drove. There is not a boy born after 1970 that doesn't want his own Chewie.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,784 posts, read 4,499,383 times
Reputation: 10987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yep. I would gladly adopt one, and I promise you he would sit in the passenger seat everywhere I drove. There is not a boy born after 1970 that doesn't want his own Chewie.
Only if I had some really strong air freshener and BF was toilet trainable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Maine
19,182 posts, read 22,869,383 times
Reputation: 23455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Only if I had some really strong air freshener and BF was toilet trainable.
If clans of 8 ft primates have managed to escape undocumented for 300 years, they are obviously intelligent --- and obvious masters at hiding their poo.

The rest is easy to fix:

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 08:44 AM
 
20,992 posts, read 6,025,953 times
Reputation: 12070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
As I've said many times in this forum (and as other people believers like to label skeptics) I've had an interest in cryptozoology since the 1960s and have followed it since. It always amazes me that if anyone questions claims in this forum they're immediately labeled non-believers and even accused of being government plants (which has happened to me a few times).

And as I have said before multiple times, I would have given a better than 60% chance back in the 1970s that there was a real unknown animal behind the bigfoot sightings. Given what I've seen in the decades since, I now would give a 5-10% chance at best. The evidence just doesn't support a higher likelihood than that, in my opinion (and as I've said, I'd give a better than 60% chance that thylacines are not extinct on the Australian mainland based on the evidence -- which is what I go by rather than wishful thinking).

Pretty strange labeling that as non-belief -- thinking something is highly unlikely isn't defined as unbelief in my dictionary. A lot of the people here who are labeled non-believers would like nothing better than to have proof in hand that (say) a descendent of Gigantopithecus or whatever is roaming the North American continent -- but in our opinion, the solid evidence isn't there.
I disagree, there are just too many sightings and reports over the years.

As a civilization, mankind is not that advanced, only 5% of our oceans have been explored, we are still driving around in internal combustion powered vehicles, computer technology is fairly recent and still fairly primitive. People 100 years ago thought they had it all figured out too, and I guarantee, 100 yrs from now, they will think the same thing.

Im sure there are many many things we do not yet understand or recognize that are going on around us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,784 posts, read 4,499,383 times
Reputation: 10987
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I disagree, there are just too many sightings and reports over the years.
"Seeing Fairies: From the Lost Archives of the Fairy Investigation Society, Authentic Reports of Fairies in Modern Times", Marjorie T. Johnson and Simon Young (available on Amazon).

There are plenty of sightings and reports of fairies, too - as well as trolls, gnomes, leprechauns, and other paranormal creatures. Just because there's a lot of stories and reports doesn't mean something is true. Or if it does, you have to believe the world is full of fairies, trolls, gnomes, and so on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Maine
19,182 posts, read 22,869,383 times
Reputation: 23455
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
...only 5% of our oceans have been explored, we are still driving around in internal combustion powered vehicles, computer technology is fairly recent and still fairly primitive.
What does any of that have to do with Bigfoot??? Bigfin might be possible. Bigfoot? The case is not looking too strong.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
People 100 years ago thought they had it all figured out too, and I guarantee, 100 yrs from now, they will think the same thing.

Im sure there are many many things we do not yet understand or recognize that are going on around us.
Agreed. But that doesn't make Bigfoot any more plausible. Non-proof is not de facto proof.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 06:47 PM
 
12,201 posts, read 11,514,519 times
Reputation: 4915
Are you guys still poo pooing the existence? Give it up.Go out for yourself and spend a night in the woods with no fire and go down in some local to you river bottoms.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 06:57 PM
 
Location: New York Area
22,076 posts, read 8,707,107 times
Reputation: 17287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Are you guys still poo pooing the existence? Give it up.Go out for yourself and spend a night in the woods with no fire and go down in some local to you river bottoms.
Have you done that? How did it work out?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Maine
19,182 posts, read 22,869,383 times
Reputation: 23455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Are you guys still poo pooing the existence? Give it up.Go out for yourself and spend a night in the woods with no fire and go down in some local to you river bottoms.
That's called a snipe hunt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top