Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:01 PM

7,113 posts, read 4,951,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolochs View Post
I began researching the Bigfoot phenomenon on a totally different path, info for a kid's story I was working on where a BF plays a minor role. I was researching to become familiar with known or familiar behaviors, regions of habitation, vernacular associated with BF, etc. so I wouldn't come off sounding like a big dummy about the critter. Wull, 8 books, joining two BF research organizations, seeing scientific evidence, and several BF forums LATER......I'm simply astounded by how much I DIDN'T know before about BF!

I can only speak for myself, but I've learned too much for it to all be a big hoax. Impossible. If you don't believe, do the research yourself, there's PLENTY for the reading/seeing! I'm certainly not going to hand it to anyone on a silver platter. Do the work like I did and discover. Most people who make up their minds to not believe, won't believe evidence even when it is handed to them on a silver platter...so why waste time on them? I've got way better things to do than try to convince total strangers online, who are really usually just looking for arguments to pick, given the amount of time they apparently spend online doing just that.
The problem is that there is no definitive evidence of their existence. There is merely circumstantial evidence: things that could be caused by their existence, but alternate explanations also exist. And then there's the problem of so many proven hoaxes.

I like to point out that the huge footprints found in relative abundance could be caused by a larger than human primate, but they could also be left by a mere human: the foot spreads out as it bears weight and squishes things out to a larger size, particularly in mud &/or by a runner or jumper. I've been frightened more than once by huge canine prints in the mud or snow around my barn, thinking wolves have been around. Then I realize it's only from my 50 lb Australian Shepard as I see it leave bigger than I'd think tracks as it walks near me.

By definition, their existence is very, very improbable, but that's not to say impossible. It's difficult to prove a negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:13 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,158,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I didn't say there wasn't enough food. I said there wasn't enough contiguous forest habitat east of the Miss. R. with a sparse human population in order for them to avoid detection. BTW- foraging in row crops would be easily detected, so they're not doing that.

You are so wrong.Until you Quit assuming about something you know nothing about. Then you can learn.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:21 AM

22,830 posts, read 28,052,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You are so wrong.Until you Quit assuming about something you know nothing about. Then you can learn.
Teach us, O Wise One. Please show us some evidence of crop-raiding Bigfeet.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:39 AM

723 posts, read 996,546 times
Default I believe in Sasquatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Old hairy is known to lay up alongside road and highways in patches of brush that you would never think they would be in.

Remember they always follow the creeks.
What are their hollers called again?
Can you post some?

Are they more like a WHOOP!

Old 08-25-2017, 07:58 AM

509 posts, read 480,475 times
I would just like to know why we have been able to count all the endangered gorillas and tigers left in the wild for decades, many of whom exist in remote areas not easily reached by man, and are able to tell when their numbers decrease or their habitat shrinks, and yet we can't even locate one single bigfoot after nearly a century of supposed sightings? GPS, satellites, and aerial photography work just fine on gorillas but not on bigfeet?

Old 08-25-2017, 11:05 AM

437 posts, read 432,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
There's way too much confirmation bias among the Bigfoot experts. Looking for signs of Bigfoot rather than just examining evidence. For instance if they come across an odd tree break they immediately jump to the conclusion that Bigfoot must have made it rather than just looking at it as an odd tree break and examining all possible causes.

Could there be something like Bigfoot out there? Sure, but unlikely. Nothing really compelling to say that it is some giant undiscovered ape rather than some really hairy mountain man/hipster out for a hike.

Seems if they were out there in a breeding population a simple sweep with a thermal camera from a helicopter would find them by the dozens. But instead we've got guys hooting out into the darkness and knocking on trees and jumping to conclusions whenever they hear some sound after that.
Hi Notnamed....

I think those shows are ridiculous.....and I fancy that BF's are no doubt laughing at those guys.

I also think about thermal sweeps a lot as well, and perfect evidence point. However how do you know these have not been done, obtained, but the evidence squelched? There have been numerous "leaks" of incidences where BF's were witnessed by several people, but their livelihoods and benefits threatened by the govt. if they went public. Just one such example was an anonymous leak of an individual who admitted only to being part of a fire or medic crew battling a blaze so bad, a BF came out of the forest badly burned, acting as though it was actually seeking help and allowed fire crews and medics to help it. It (a male) was treated, taken to a treatment facility, and presumed later re-released into the wild. All witnesses were threatened by authorities who swooped in with termination of their jobs, benefits, and retirement if they went public.

Lots of ways to look at this. The anonymous factor already makes it *suspect*, right? You can poke holes galore with this accounting. And just the very fact that so many don't/refuse to believe BF exists makes even saying it out loud pins a big "HAHAHA!" sign on this person's back. But what's to be gained for this "leaker" by saying it? He/she wouldn't provide their name, so no fame attached. And the risk of losing a lot. Look these incidences up, and tell me, if after you've read 100's of them, you don't start wondering "How can this many people be lying or fabricating this, and to WHAT end?"

There are countless similar accountings by completely normal, law-abiding, non-fame-seeking people. Too, the more people actually DO believe, they are able to see the down-the-road predictable result of crazy-arce gun-toters fanning forests in hopes of being The One to bag a squatch for proof. That kind of activity will only create more aggression in BF's, which in turn creates more gun-toters going after them. I don't think anyone wants that in our forests, and why the govt. and forestry work so diligently to discredit any claims. Some forestry workers readily admit "Yes, we know they'e out there." But what good does it do to admit this or promote the idea? You'll either be laughed out of your job, or encourage the idiots trying to kill BF for that holy grail *proof*.

And if all the sightings are about people in monkey suits, what idiot would run through the forest in a suit these days with so many shooting guns at them? Death wish much? And if it is monkey suits.....why isn't there a spike in monkey suit shops springing up? Cuz there sure are a lot of monkey-suit-wearing folks buying/wearing them then!

I'm not going to get into a big for/against argument about it. I haven't seen one myself so I can't say. And even if I did, pretty sure no one would believe me. And that's OK. Another reason I became interested them at all is that we're anticipating relocating to a region known to have a high sighting numbers of BF's. I've spoken to people who claim to have had actual encounters there, and they were very cautious about not wanting to "go public" or have their name attached. They basically were scared chitless over the experience. If you look up where BF are most often spotted, or there's been encounters, or where *habituators* live (people who encourage encounters with them by leaving food out for them), it is most often in remote rural areas that back to DNR protected forest....which is precisely the type setting we have been looking to relocate to. For my own reasons, I'd like to know what we *may* conceivably be getting ourselves into by doing so! Whether it be possible BF encounters, or the crazy arces chasing them! Another thing that tipped me off as odd that caught my attention, was certain properties, in certain areas I've been watching for the last few years, that have been listed at way lower prices than you'd expect for the amount of house/land you're getting....yet still take forever, if ever to sell There could be *other* reasons for this, for sure...... but I started putting two-n-two together after I spoke to individuals I solicited on a forum to message me privately if they've had any personal BF encounters. And they occurred right in the same areas as these houses I noted as having exceptionally lower-than-expected property values.

Stuff that makes you go....Hmm. Do you ignore that totally as "No way, BF doesn't exist!"? Or do you file it away somewhere in the "What am I not seeing/believing here?" file?

Jus' saying...things aren't always what they seem, and there's lots of reason for many factions to try to squelch the idea of BF and go to great lengths to do so, or discredit proof. In the state our govt is in, especially now, Lord only knows what truth or proof are anymore. LOL! Do you believe everything you're told, especially by current powers that be? Or do you entertain alternative possibilities as at least possible?

For my own part, and I fully own this, I've read waaaaaaay too many accountings to believe this is all a big hoax. Sure, I've read some stuff that sounded like utter BS, and people just jumping on the BF Fame Wagon. But far more accountings that had no other explanation. If it takes a thermal scan image to prove it to anyone...WILL that actually prove it to you? Or will you then say, "I need to see, touch, smell a BODY?" And even then....will you be picking the body apart with a dissection knife, making sure it isn't just some big human with hypertrichosis? WHAT proof would actually prove it "enough"? And what repercussions would ensue? Instead of safaris to Africa for lion heads, our forests would be overrun with Squatch head hunters. There are actual groups seeking to petition the govt to make BF's endangered species and creating protected lands for them. It is already considered "homicide" to kill them in certain states.

Last edited by carolochs; 08-25-2017 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-25-2017, 02:33 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,750,605 times
Quote:
...There have been numerous "leaks" of incidences where BF's were witnessed by several people, but their livelihoods and benefits threatened by the govt...
Care to cite a source????

Old 08-25-2017, 03:55 PM

Google it yourself. ::eyeroll backatcha::

Old 08-25-2017, 04:25 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,750,605 times
Quote:
Google it yourself. ::eyeroll backatcha::
So, unsubstantiated.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:37 PM

Of course, Dirt. You're always right. There is nothing of value on the internet....or some forums. Not even scientific papers that have been posted.
Why are you even here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal