Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 08:35 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times

Advertisements

There will always be people who put a story down. Some dont need anything more than their beliefs to justify it either. (That applies to both sides, of course) Just look on this forum for examples.

I think if you look hard enough there will be many stories which have not been debunked and are more likely to be real. Depends if you are going for individual stories or phenomena in general like abductions. Travis Walton case is fairly well documented. Some of the alien implant stories perhaps - things can be analysed, etc Are you going to write a book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 10:32 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
As a kid I read literally hundreds of books on the subject of paranormal activity,it was fascinating stuff to me. I've never heard the Deke Slayton story, though, and that is just...awesome, weird, and downright eerie. Thanks for posting that, never knew about it and my mind is thoroughly blown. And I'm not necessarily a believer in the paranormal, it's just interesting reading, but again, that story is great.
No way, met too! Well, sort of. I read "Goosebumps" books as a kid. They were all the rage among boys, and a few girls, in my middle school classes. (The girls' counterpart was the "Babysitters' Club".) The books didn't imprint in my memory, for some reason. I vaguely remember one set in some underground cave-like place, one about a possessed doll, and a few others. But they were good.

In high school, I "graduated" to urban horror books by obscure authors. They weren't anything paranormal, but rather about human horror, all set in inner cities: street crime, gangs, and the mob. (Mind you, that before before gentrification took hold, and city neighborhoods were still bad places to be.) One book was even set in a high school, which made for an intriguing read.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 09-02-2017 at 10:40 PM..

Old 09-02-2017, 11:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
He also included historical mysteries, like Earhart. Missed Judge Crater, though.

And although we tend to focus on the paranormal, the forum is "unsolved mysteries and paranormal"...
Oh, thank you. So he's including "regular" mysteries, too. I wasn't sure; I thought that maybe someone had come up with a theory for her disappearance that involved the paranormal. You know, like the suggestion that the Malaysian flight got intercepted by extraterrestrials, or something. Seems that almost anything can be given a paranormal spin...

Old 09-03-2017, 12:55 AM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
There will always be people who put a story down. Some dont need anything more than their beliefs to justify it either. (That applies to both sides, of course) Just look on this forum for examples.

I think if you look hard enough there will be many stories which have not been debunked and are more likely to be real. Depends if you are going for individual stories or phenomena in general like abductions. Travis Walton case is fairly well documented. Some of the alien implant stories perhaps - things can be analysed, etc Are you going to write a book?
I believe the Travis Walton case has been debunked as being a hoax.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:24 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, thank you. So he's including "regular" mysteries, too. I wasn't sure; I thought that maybe someone had come up with a theory for her disappearance that involved the paranormal. You know, like the suggestion that the Malaysian flight got intercepted by extraterrestrials, or something. Seems that almost anything can be given a paranormal spin...
"...Some have suggested that Earhart might - either unwitingly [sic] or in collusion with the US government - have made contact with alien spacecraft. Depending on the nature of the proposed aliens, Earhart was either blown out of the sky or abducted..." Source

Old 09-03-2017, 09:38 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It'd be haunted places for me. I don't believe in ghosts, but I do believe this: when a severe tragedy happens somewhere; it "imprints" on that specific place. Which sometimes, although not always, causes weird things to happen there in the future.

There's one place like that near me: Munger Road in Bartlett, IL (west suburb of Chicago). According to the story, a school bus once stalled on railroad tracks, and couldn't move. It got hit by a fast-moving train, killing everyone inside. Today, if you stop your car on those tracks and put it in neutral, you'll feel it slowly move off the tracks. And if you sprinkle talcum powder on your rear bumper, you'll sometimes see child-sized handprints afterwards. Allegedly, it's the spirits of the kids in the school bus pushing you to safety.
This is the site: https://goo.gl/maps/dYEUegW2q2K2.

I never tried it, because there's no way I'm stopping my car on train tracks, but just saying.

I know where that is and was driving on it recently. It's changed a lot since my high school days. I'll take the kids there around Halloween and we'll see if it works.

I don't believe in life after death either, but, there there is something in our house that's a tad off. I've heard the foot steps and so have the kids that have been here in the house. Last year a couple were hiding up in the attic and they heard foot steps coming up to the door, and the door knob rattle leading to the attic. One texted her boyfriend and asked why we didn't come in to look for them. (hide and seek in the dark is spooky fun!) He texted back that we were all downstairs and so were the dogs, which was true. The two of them came running down and we haven't had a good game of hide and seek since.

This is the second time the door knob rattled like some one was trying to get in. It happened during the day many years back when I was hiding in the attic with some kids for hide and seek.

There was another occasion about three years ago when the teenagers (same ones hiding in the attic) and I were up there and I was telling a newbie about the house and strange hospital experiences. It was as if it was right on cue when a black light that had been up there for years without incidence fell off of a support beam and crashed into a scene setter I had up for Halloween. It sounded as if someone had crumpled it all the way down to the end of the plastic. That sent us all running out of the attic, but we went back up and took pictures. A glowing green orb showed up on one picture and it moved from one place to another in a consecutive picture.

Is it a ghost? A poltergeist or some other form of energy we just don't understand? Whatever it is has followed me to two jobs and was witnessed by other people as well on three different occasions.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:34 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

I'm not saying this happened, but maybe raccoons got in the garage at night? Their little paws are just like little grubby hands and they have a habit of "feeling" with them, over the ground, on doors and windows, etc, looking for food. And they are always looking for food, besides being incredibly curious about everything.
How would they get in a closed garage with no way of access?

Plus, it would only happen to the SUV, but not the other car in the garage.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:41 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
"...Some have suggested that Earhart might - either unwitingly [sic] or in collusion with the US government - have made contact with alien spacecraft. Depending on the nature of the proposed aliens, Earhart was either blown out of the sky or abducted..." Source

Old 09-03-2017, 10:50 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
How would they get in a closed garage with no way of access?

Plus, it would only happen to the SUV, but not the other car in the garage.
You have to really look for holes. Raccoons chew through wood and insulation.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:04 AM

281 posts, read 345,265 times
Answers from skeptics can be unsatisfying but it doesn't mean that the paranormal explanation is automatically correct. Maybe it wasn't a meteor shower or noisy pipes, etc. but it's nowhere near as far off the mark as aliens, ghosts or whatever suits your fancy. "Unexplained" isn't a synonym for "paranormal", "supernatural", and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal