Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:52 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I thought Anna Anderson was debunked with dna tests?
Yes, that's what I read, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 09:59 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Actually, there are a lot of those, and the Ghost Adventurers debunked them. Essentially, given the surrounding landscape you appear to roll up hill. In reality, there is a down slope to the road, and your car rolls with it.

They proved it with a ball, and then with a surveyor...

Here's the other thing....there's no evidence of a school bus accident. That would be in the newspapers probably everywhere. My evidence for that? The small town where my dad grew up, and met my mom was nearly burned down from a Christmas tree fire in 1949. You can google Hyndman PA Christmas tree fire. It was even on the cover of Life magazine! It was also just in the news from a massive train derailment and evacuation.

One other point, there are tons of "gravity hills" where this phenomena takes place. At every single one where there are train tracks, "the legend says" (very key words denoting this never really happened) there was a school bus....
The 1972 school bus/train accident in Nyack, NY, is what came to my mind when I read this, but I don't know if there are similar stories about hauntings associated with it.

I was in high school at the time in NJ, just a few miles over the border from where that accident occurred. It was horrifying.

Gilchrest Road School Bus Accident... 30 Years Lat - School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums

Old 09-02-2017, 11:07 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'm wondering at this point if the proliferation of urban legends in North America is because of its short history; unlike Europe, Middle East, or even South America.
There are urban legends all over the world - it's not a North American phenomenon.

The truth about Urban Myths | The Independent

Old 09-02-2017, 11:23 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post

My dad told us of a lake nearby that the waves form when there's no wind and if you put talcum powder on the front of the car and let it roll up, you'll see hand prints on your car!
I have a couple of family members who bought a house that had been foreclosed on. They lived in it for a few years and then got transferred out of state.

They had two vehicles they kept in the garage of that house. One of the vehicles would get tiny child-sized hand prints all over it while it was sitting in the garage overnight. They would wash the vehicle, put it in the garage, and by morning the tiny hand prints would show up all over again.

Not only were the hand prints on the body of the vehicle, they were also on the top of the vehicle where no small child could reach. It was an SUV, so the roof was pretty high.

I think this went on a couple of years and gradually stopped.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:25 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am fascinated by unsolved mysteries of a paranormal (or even historical) nature such as Jack the Ripper, the Amelia Earhart, Anna Andersen (the Anastasia Romanov impostor), Roswell, etc. However in doing some casual research of many of the most well-known ghost or ESP stories, I cannot find any that have NOT been debunked -- or at least seriously questioned. (Usually because they are just hearsay, with no verifiable evidence that they actually happened.)

Does anyone know of any documented paranormal mystery that no expert has been able to prove is untrue -- or, in other words, does anyone know of any story that, so far as you know, no expert has been able to explain?
What does Earhart have to do with anything paranormal? I'm not sure any of your examples fit the bill.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:35 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What does Earhart have to do with anything paranormal? I'm not sure any of your examples fit the bill.
He also included historical mysteries, like Earhart. Missed Judge Crater, though.

And although we tend to focus on the paranormal, the forum is "unsolved mysteries and paranormal"...

Old 09-02-2017, 04:00 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I have a couple of family members who bought a house that had been foreclosed on. They lived in it for a few years and then got transferred out of state.

They had two vehicles they kept in the garage of that house. One of the vehicles would get tiny child-sized hand prints all over it while it was sitting in the garage overnight. They would wash the vehicle, put it in the garage, and by morning the tiny hand prints would show up all over again.

Not only were the hand prints on the body of the vehicle, they were also on the top of the vehicle where no small child could reach. It was an SUV, so the roof was pretty high.

I think this went on a couple of years and gradually stopped.
I'm not saying this happened, but maybe raccoons got in the garage at night? Their little paws are just like little grubby hands and they have a habit of "feeling" with them, over the ground, on doors and windows, etc, looking for food. And they are always looking for food, besides being incredibly curious about everything.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:10 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
There's a lot of things that come to my mind, but most of them fall under the category of "well, this could have happened" and "It was probably this".

I think the mysteries in the UK of the haunted airfields have never been solved and also the ones of the phantom planes people see all the time.

Then there's the book Martin Caiden wrote about "Ghosts of the Air". One of his stories was about a group of bombers that went off to Germany. Only a few planes came back and when the crews had signed in, the commander gave them the rest of the night off. Then when they were gone, the commander found out all the planes had been shot down and none of them had returned. Yet the signatures of the crews that showed up were still there.

Then there's the mystery of Flt 401:

Ghosts of Flight 401

And of course, Deke Slayton's final flight:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ys/repcY1N7-aw

And those are just the aviation mysteries.

There's plenty of time slip stories that haven't been solved yet, not to mention all the ghosts people claim to have seen in hospitals and nursing homes.

Those are all faves of mine.

Old 09-02-2017, 07:14 PM
KCZ

4,674 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Where do alien abductions fall in this discussion? All debunked? Some credible? Opinions?

Old 09-02-2017, 08:16 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
There's a lot of things that come to my mind, but most of them fall under the category of "well, this could have happened" and "It was probably this".

I think the mysteries in the UK of the haunted airfields have never been solved and also the ones of the phantom planes people see all the time.

Then there's the book Martin Caiden wrote about "Ghosts of the Air". One of his stories was about a group of bombers that went off to Germany. Only a few planes came back and when the crews had signed in, the commander gave them the rest of the night off. Then when they were gone, the commander found out all the planes had been shot down and none of them had returned. Yet the signatures of the crews that showed up were still there.

Then there's the mystery of Flt 401:

Ghosts of Flight 401

And of course, Deke Slayton's final flight:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ys/repcY1N7-aw

And those are just the aviation mysteries.

There's plenty of time slip stories that haven't been solved yet, not to mention all the ghosts people claim to have seen in hospitals and nursing homes.

Those are all faves of mine.
As a kid I read literally hundreds of books on the subject of paranormal activity,it was fascinating stuff to me. I've never heard the Deke Slayton story, though, and that is just...awesome, weird, and downright eerie. Thanks for posting that, never knew about it and my mind is thoroughly blown. And I'm not necessarily a believer in the paranormal, it's just interesting reading, but again, that story is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal