Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 12:09 PM

23,916 posts, read 32,238,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am fascinated by unsolved mysteries of a paranormal (or even historical) nature such as Jack the Ripper, the Amelia Earhart, Anna Andersen (the Anastasia Romanov impostor), Roswell, etc. However in doing some casual research of many of the most well-known ghost or ESP stories, I cannot find any that have NOT been debunked -- or at least seriously questioned. (Usually because they are just hearsay, with no verifiable evidence that they actually happened.)

Does anyone know of any documented paranormal mystery that no expert has been able to prove is untrue -- or, in other words, does anyone know of any story that, so far as you know, no expert has been able to explain?
First, skeptics will and have, debunked anything and everything that can not be studied by scientific method or measured in a laboratory. They don't experience it themselves and they don't want to think that anything that does not conform to natural law could possibly be real.

The very essence of anything paranormal, it that it can seldom be controlled and it does not really respond to scientific method.

Professional Skeptics will be skeptical. Unless it happens to them.

WITH THAT SAID - here is what I believe falls in the realm of "Paranormal and Unexplained Phenomena" that I believe to be true, and at this point in time, irrefutable and documented, in as much as such things can be documented.

1. Poltergeist. While people differ about the cause and the essential nature of poltergeist activity, it has been observed and documented by people who are not interested in this subject or part of the "paranormal community" - eg. Police officers, journalists, and others.

A particularly well documented case is that of the Hermann family, of Seaford NY. It occurred in 1958, in a newer post war suburban house. It was observed by police and journalists, as well as neighbors and clergy.

2. Spontaneous Human Combustion. So many ghastly photographs and rigorous investigation has yet to debunk it. There are several theories, but disagreement about it's cause. There was a case in FL that was particularly well documented, and horrific.

3. Psychic ability.

4. Hauntings. Different types. Residual. Demonic. Conventional. These things do occur, however not to everyone. Three families may live in the same house, and one or two may experience phenomena, a third may not.

5. The ability of people to effect change in the physical world through thought and intention. This would include but not be limited to, prayer, affirmations, spells, chanting, affirmation, positive thought and healing.

I do not think that Jack the Ripper was paranormal in any way. He was just a serial killed who's identity is unknown. Same with Amelia Earhart. She was a real woman aviatrix who went missing. This happens occasionally. Had aviation not been so new, and had she not been a woman, I don't think we'd even be talking about it today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 01:37 PM

6,323 posts, read 4,811,272 times
Read any or all of Charles Fort's books about supernatural occurrences.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:01 PM

6,974 posts, read 4,832,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
How would they get in a closed garage with no way of access?

Plus, it would only happen to the SUV, but not the other car in the garage.

I was just throwing that out there. Maybe the raccoons were living in the garage after having chewed a hole through the roof. And maybe the color of one car would show the handprints more than the other.

I think that's a cool story, though. It's just that I've always said you need to have a 24 hour, consistent investigation (cameras, listening devices, etc) to either prove or disprove any paranormal happening. And even then, it mainly comes down to the integrity of the investigators.

I love a good paranormal story as much as anyone and I have a couple of my own. But as with anything, people who don't believe it can sit around and say maybe it was this, maybe it was that and without credible witnesses or prior investigation, who knows what really happened?

Here's something that's always stood out in my mind. Tom Brown is a tracker and you can read about this experience in his first book. Once when he was upset, he went out into the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. While he was out there, he scared some good old boys out driving around when he crashed out of the brush, naked and covered with branches. Now there are going to be a couple of men who, for the rest of their lives, will argue that they saw the Jersey devil and they were all witnesses to it. But there was a simple explanation by Tom Brown as to what they saw and who would have believed it if told?

What I'm saying is there are absolutely no explanations for some things and some very down to earth and reasonable explanations for other things and you never know when a paranormal experience will go from being unexplainable to explainable. That's part of the fun.

By the way, I forgot about the Roman soldiers. What explanation is there for this?

Famous ghost witness Harry Martindale dies (From York Press)

Old 09-03-2017, 06:46 PM

278 posts, read 340,789 times
Quote:
First, skeptics will and have, debunked anything and everything that can not be studied by scientific method or measured in a laboratory. They don't experience it themselves and they don't want to think that anything that does not conform to natural law could possibly be real.

Professional Skeptics will be skeptical. Unless it happens to them.
You seem to misunderstand what it means to be a skeptic. You don't go into anything assuming that what people are claiming is either true or false. And experiencing something doesn't mean you know what happened. If you call a personal experience that can't be explained "paranormal" or whatever you're not being skeptical.

Quote:
The very essence of anything paranormal, it that it can seldom be controlled and it does not really respond to scientific method.
This is just begging the question.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:11 PM

8,473 posts, read 10,886,509 times
This is a post I made about unexplained mysteries a while ago, and to date it remains a mystery.

I see things others do not.
Not every time, but If I hear of a person missing, many times I get a vision of that person, and where they will be found, with in seconds of hearing they are missing.

Most have ended in the death of the person,and I have been right, more than wrong.

When that Malaysian flight disappeared about a year and a half ago, I had an instant vision of it's fate.
Obviously many don't believe what I "saw", but evidence to date has not proven me wrong.

Only one supposed piece of the plane washed up on some deserted island, and I believe that was manufactured evidence by the Malaysian government.

Strange that a 300 lb piece floated to the surface, but bodies, papers, luggage, weighing far less, never surfaced, neither was any oil slick found, that would indicate it crashed into the ocean.
I know what I "saw", and this is exactly what I "saw" after hearing the plane disappeared.

I "saw" the plane,completely disabled, being sucked into a giant craft, and then the craft sped off at incredible speed.

Bob.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:28 PM

23,916 posts, read 32,238,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Watkins View Post
You seem to misunderstand what it means to be a skeptic. You don't go into anything assuming that what people are claiming is either true or false. And experiencing something doesn't mean you know what happened. If you call a personal experience that can't be explained "paranormal" or whatever you're not being skeptical.

you are applying scientific method. Or attempting to do that. It does not work.

This is just begging the question.
How so?

Old 09-04-2017, 12:46 AM

4,654 posts, read 4,095,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
There are some rather extreme examples of synchronicity that skeptics are not able to debunk to my satisfaction. The default and rather stuffy response is "well, coincidences are bound to happen" but some are just too insane for that boilerplate explanation to hold water.

Another that immediately comes to mind are the scientific studies of twins who were separated at birth who go on to lead bizarrely similar lives.
Actually, scientists feel that given the literally millions of "events" that occur in your day, some of them are bound to be improbable just by law of averages.

As for the twins- that is evidence that biology determines a lof of behavior. Nothing could be less paranormal and more scientific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Spontaneous human combustion comes to my mind.
People who are good and loaded falling asleep with cigarettes is not a paranormal mystery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It'd be haunted places for me. I don't believe in ghosts, but I do believe this: when a severe tragedy happens somewhere; it "imprints" on that specific place. Which sometimes, although not always, causes weird things to happen there in the future.

There's one place like that near me: Munger Road in Bartlett, IL (west suburb of Chicago). According to the story, a school bus once stalled on railroad tracks, and couldn't move. It got hit by a fast-moving train, killing everyone inside. Today, if you stop your car on those tracks and put it in neutral, you'll feel it slowly move off the tracks. And if you sprinkle talcum powder on your rear bumper, you'll sometimes see child-sized handprints afterwards. Allegedly, it's the spirits of the kids in the school bus pushing you to safety.
This is the site: https://goo.gl/maps/dYEUegW2q2K2.

I never tried it, because there's no way I'm stopping my car on train tracks, but just saying.
Infrasound. Fear of darkness and being alone. Pareidolia and other misinterpretation of data. Racoons in the attic. Hallucination. Drug use. Sleep paralysis. Hoax. Odd but natural accoustics. Wishful thinking. Imagination.

the kid's handprints is an old urgan legend and you can find dozens of varients from around the western world on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
There are a lot of UFO sightings (~30%) that fall into the unexplained category. The experts check aeronautical and NOAA records and rule out planes and weather balloons, analyze the photos and rule out photoshopping, interview a dozen witnesses +/- polygraphs and rule out deception or mass hysteria, look at astronomical charts and rule out the planet Venus, and so on, and then they're left with "unexplained." It doesn't mean the object was an alien spacecraft or time traveler, just that they can't find any alternative explanation.
Military craft that they can't report. Satellites. Insects. Birds. Drones. When I was a kid, my family and I trakced a UPO for an hour, only to find that it was an old bi-plane with flashing lights put on the bottom for a promotiom. The problem with this kind of thing is, one person cannot know what another saw. Unless there was some hard evidence that it was there in the first place, there is no phenomenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Telekinesis
Can you give a documented example performed under control conditions where this was proven to be a thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
My two obsessions growing up were:

Curse of Oak Island. What the hell was buried there and it must have been damn good for them to go through all the trouble. There's a TV show on it but not much has been found yet.

Coral Castle. For a tiny man with health issues to build all of that without machinery is just incredible. He claimed he knew the secrets of building the pyramids. Really fascinating story.
Oak island is a great mystery but not paranormal.

Ed Leekensen probably used an old truck motor and a come-along. A fantastic feat but not impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm not saying this happened, but maybe raccoons got in the garage at night? Their little paws are just like little grubby hands and they have a habit of "feeling" with them, over the ground, on doors and windows, etc, looking for food. And they are always looking for food, besides being incredibly curious about everything.
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Where do alien abductions fall in this discussion? All debunked? Some credible? Opinions?
Sleep paralysis coupled with cultural expectations, sometimes exacerbated by quack "doctors" using hypnosis to "recover" memories while actually implanting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
There will always be people who put a story down. Some dont need anything more than their beliefs to justify it either. (That applies to both sides, of course) Just look on this forum for examples.

I think if you look hard enough there will be many stories which have not been debunked and are more likely to be real. Depends if you are going for individual stories or phenomena in general like abductions. Travis Walton case is fairly well documented. Some of the alien implant stories perhaps - things can be analysed, etc Are you going to write a book?
Even some of Walton's most ardent followers came to think he was a fraud after the movie came out. I have seen his story debunked but don't have details at my fingertips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Daniel Dunglas Home - A medium who lived during the 19th Century
and who levitated during presentations.

The Cheltenham Haunting - An apparition of a woman appeared to a family
who lived in a house in a rural area of England. The ghost made several
appearances over a rather short period of time and the haunting has the
distinction of being one of the first cases of the newly formed Society
of Psychical Research.
Anything from the 19th century is automatic bunk. If they can do it then, then someone can do it now. So let's see footage.

People were more credible then, and he probably just used wires.

Don't know anything about the "haunting." But again, why no credible footage of modern day ghosts? Did they go away when people got camera phones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Btw, don't forget the research Patricia Cornwall, best-selling crime writer, did solving who Jack the Ripper was. (Famous for using all her own money...)

What is that ''humming'' all about? Coast to Coast would be a good source for this kind if stuff.
That 'twin thing' is a good one, Bluefox.

Where's Jimmy Hoffa's body?
The hum is a good one, but not neccesarily one thing. Different people are capable of hearing different frequencies, so each "hum" might have its one logical explanation.

Last edited by cachibatches; 09-04-2017 at 01:18 AM..

Old 09-04-2017, 01:28 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,043,377 times
I've been snarked at for my thoughts here on CD before, regarding this mystery but I'll throw it out there anyway:

A consistency found in comparative mythology for the occurence of an actual "great flood". Which I personally find very curious due to the geological discovery of flood stratums found within the layers of the earths crust; that are being found to be similar in age.

These are not traditional oral history "stories" of "A flood"; because it would be expected that many cultures & peoples have experienced many floods over the ages. And this is not to be confused with the known occurence of rising water levels following the last ice age.

Instead; this phenomena involves cultures from every continent (including those that are not known to have been in contact) who have a "story" about "The flood"; that was so massive that it did not just destroy an island, a tribe, a village or a valley ... but submerged all land; including vast mountain ranges. A global flood; that wiped out humanity with the exception of one man & his family; who saved the Earth's species by taking them aboard a boat.

These specifically similar stories of a single flood survivor appear in Irish, Hindu, Chinese, Greek, Norse and Aztec mythology.

The Inuit & Hopi tribes of Native Americans in North America, the Muisca, Inca & Tupi in South America.

The Aboriginal tribes in southern Australia.

The Kwaya, Mbuti, Maasai, Mandin, & Yoruba peoples of Africa.

Again; not your typical historical narratives of "that flood" "the other flood" or "another flood" but instead "THE flood" involving a deity-caused act of divine retribution.

There are the flood stratum being found in all regions as well; the latest being a huge stratum confirmed in China in 2016 & before that in Iraq. Most are thought to have originated around 3,000 BC.

I know this isn't a typical topic such as the much more recent stories submitted on this thread. But it's still "mysterious"(at least to those such as myself who lack absolute faith).

I do have to wonder, with so many that see the Bible as invalid; have mysterious biblical accounts ever actually been debunked?

Old 09-04-2017, 05:05 AM

278 posts, read 340,789 times
To sheena12:

If the scientific method doesn't work, what does?

"The very essence of anything paranormal, it that it can seldom be controlled and it does not really respond to scientific method" is begging the question because it gives attributes to something that hasn't been shown to exist. IOW, you're assuming the conclusion in your premise.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:34 AM

166 posts, read 168,745 times
I'm quite interested in D.B.Cooper's case... Want to know who really was he and what really happened with him..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal