Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 09:31 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,144 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the "fake moon landing business". I just think it's too much cynicism in popular culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 11:47 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I don't understand the "fake moon landing business". I just think it's too much cynicism in popular culture.
I don't know whether we did or didn't. And until someone finally goes back, it can never be proven or disproven.

But I will say that it's peaked my curiosity why we did it 5 times in a roughly 3 year period, but haven't been back yet. Especially with all the concerns on Mars recently with the rovers.

What I do know is that the Russians did beat us to space (Sputnik) and Yuri Gagarin beat us into orbit. Remember, most young people fail to remember that this was an immensely sensitive time. It was at the hight of the Cold War between the U.S. and the Soviet Union. The 1962-63 Cuban Missile Crisis was still fresh on the minds of many. The Soviets were demonstrating technological superiority by Sputnik and Gagarin's trip. If we didn't come up with something equal or superior quick, we were in potential hot seat.

Just then... miraculously, we are able to make a technological leap ... right when we needed it most... and start sending people to the moon. Quite a convenience.

Again, I don't know if it happened or not.. but it worked to start what I believe was the downfall of the Cold War.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:39 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Just then... miraculously, we are able to make a technological leap ... right when we needed it most... and start sending people to the moon. Quite a convenience.
It wasn't easy or convenient. Also, the Soviets had certain gaps in their expertise that were not conducive to getting to the moon quickly. The US OTOH had Werner von Braun and was willing and able to dump alot of money into the space program. The Soviet Union OTOH was still recovering from the effects of World War II.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Rathagos wrote:
Quote:
Again, I don't know if it happened or not.. but it worked to start what I believe was the downfall of the Cold War.
The end of the Soviet Union was due to the fact that communism is not an efficient economic system and alot of credit needs to go to Mikhail Gorbachev for having the insight to understand that fact. The moon landings were many years before the fall of the Soviet Union and I don't see any connection between those events. The moon landings actually happened, even the Russians admitted we did it, and the moon landing conspiracy stuff falls into the realm of Elvis sightings.
Today we're not competing with any other nation in our exploration of other planets and beyond and we've slowed down the pace and the price tag which I think is too bad.
Actually the Soviet Union had accumulated a vast amount of experience in space exploration but they were also less concerned with the safety of their cosmonauts and the secrecy that surrounded their space program allowed them to do things the Americans would never have attempted.
I think in another generation that we're going to see new nations such as China become involved in space exploration as they become major economic powers and that will probably stimulate American projects to be much more ambitious.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:26 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Rathagos wrote:

The end of the Soviet Union was due to the fact that communism is not an efficient economic system and alot of credit needs to go to Mikhail Gorbachev for having the insight to understand that fact. The moon landings were many years before the fall of the Soviet Union and I don't see any connection between those events.
I agree, MontanaGuy, that our space race was not the sole reason for the downfall of the Soviet Union. And I don't believe I said that. What I said was that it was the start of the downfall. Because the system of communism doesn't inherently breed good financial gains through the system, the space race was a demonstration of capitalism versus communism. The fact that we could "dump" the money we did into the race could be transferred to other programs (read: military) as well.

I think when the Soviets realized the cost of going head to head against American capitalism, they knew it couldn't be done, and they tapered way back on their space program and focused primarily on military build up. But even if you look at it, compared to the U.S. from about early-mid 1970s, the Russians didn't come up with as many new platforms. The KRIVAK FFG that they produced lasted well until the NEUSTRASHIMMYY came on to replace it. And their nuclear sub program was being hit. FOXTROTs and ROMEOs became the norm... CHARLIE and OSCARs were more pierside. The TYPHOON was one of their greatest accomplishments, but even those sat pierside way too often. Their aircraft, however, did keep in competition with the FLANKERs, FOXBATs, and FOXHOUNDs.

So, although the space race wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back.. it did show that the camel's back was vulnerable.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:50 AM

Rathagos wrote:
Quote:
So, although the space race wasn't the straw that broke the camel's back.. it did show that the camel's back was vulnerable.
Yeah, I'd have to agree with that. I also think that an arms race is an incredible waste of money for both sides. I'd much rather see us advance our space program. As interesting as some of the Mars missions have been lately they're still very low budget projects. I'd really like to see a manned mission to Mars.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:03 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,581,229 times
It is very curious that we went to the moon several times then suddenly stopped. The reason wasnt lack of funding either. There could be two theories. One, we didnt go in the first place and all the moon missions were a hoax or Two, we went but we discovered some artifical "artifacts" there or encountered UFOs. According to some former high ranks in NASA and a few astronauts we were "warned off the moon" by extraterrestrials. Again you have to question why we never went back especially since technology has inproved over the past several decades. You would think that NASA would have had a moon base by now instead of the international space station. Those numerous anomolies in the Apollo moon photographs either indicate it was a hoax or that NASA was trying to cover up things in the photos. There were clear cases of photos that had "cloned terrain". In other words, back ground landscape in one photo matches the background landscape exacty in another photo in an entirly different perspective shot. Its also suspect that the origional Apollo film is missing. So its clear there is some kind of cover-up. Then add to the fact that NASA keeps Neil Armstrong tucked away and he rarely gives interviews. A former NASA communications director said Armstrong saw two UFOs on the edge of a crater when he walked on the moon. Something else is strange. All of the origional Apollo astronauts retired shortly after the moon landings. These guys werent old and they could have continued their careers as astronauts. They experienced something that has shaken them up.

Last edited by gsoboi; 08-28-2008 at 06:16 AM..

Old 08-28-2008, 04:12 PM

Gsoboi wrote:
Quote:
It is very curious that we went to the moon several times then suddenly stopped. The reason wasnt lack of funding either. There could be two theories. One, we didnt go in the first place and all the moon missions were a hoax or Two, we went but we discovered some artifical "artifacts" there or encountered UFOs.
Do you realize that the entire world was watching those Apollo missions lift off and head into outer space? This was an event that could be observed by every nation in the world and it was very obvious that we were sending spacecraft into outer space. So what in the world could someone be thinking to even suggest that it was a hoax? Did the spacecraft go up and few miles and then hide someplace while we somehow caused radio transmissions to be sent to earth and they only appeared to be getting closer to the moon while we switched over to our phony moon landing setup? I believe it would have been much more difficult to set up a moon landing hoax than it would be to actually go to the moon.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:40 PM

884 posts, read 716,294 times
Default Space Junkies Ask 'Who Owns the Moon?'

Within the next 10 years, the U.S., China, Israel, and a host of private companies plan to set up camp on the moon. So if and when they plant a flag, does that give them property rights?

Space Junkies Ask 'Who Owns the Moon?' - Page1 -Â* MSN Tech & Gadgets - News and Features

Old 08-30-2008, 08:36 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
From the same site you supplied above;

"In fact, the strongest rampart of Bush's Nazi imperial America is indeed 9-11; it and it alone are the strongest link in the chain of events that bind Americans to the new Nazi Amerika. It is increasingly being shown that 9-11 was an inside job, perpetrated by the secret and deadly cabal of the JFK-killing and drug running CIA, the controlled demolition-savvy Israeli Mossad, and the Israeli-dominated and controlled Pentagon. The latter provided for "drills" as cover to disable our radar defense systems."

Do you actively seek out these weird sites?

I'm afraid you've blown your veracity yet again.
I cannot speak for all of this, but most people agree that the Kennedy assassinations were coverups.
Mussolini defined fascism as corporatism, which is what the US has turned into, a rule by the mega corporations.

I have a problem with our government being controlled by Israelis and also Nazi. How do they manage that one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal