Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 05:48 AM

15,209 posts, read 10,238,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
There's a good book about this: https://www.amazon.com/Gift-Fear-Sur.../dp/0440226198

Basically, it's about the under appreciated human ability for instinct. Our brains evolved that for a reason, but in modern industrial society we tend to ignore that part of our brain, which is very much not a good thing.

The Gift of Fear is one of my favorite books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 06:53 AM

15,701 posts, read 17,001,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
Oh, yes. This reminds me of Joan Crawford and Bette Davis. No one believed what their daughters said about them. After all, they were talented and beautiful, how dare anyone mess up the flawless image in the eyes of their fans? Same with Bing Crosby, Gene Tierney, Henry Fonda, OJ Simpson, Bill Cosby ... couldn't possibly do bad things because people idolize them. Albert Fish looked harmless enough (unless you're like me and see the death behind the eyes). Ted Bundy was charming. And some of the most perverted people I've encountered have been little old men.

Gene Tierney?

What did she do, other than suffer from mental illness?

Old 09-24-2017, 06:57 AM

23,973 posts, read 32,289,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
The first that I actually articulated that way was about 20 years ago when I was working in home health care. We had a patient who was diagnosed with ALS, an elderly woman. I was at a meeting with the family and the county Adult Protective Services social worker at the local hospital. APS was involved because there was severe neglect to the point that the woman had to be hospitalized: malnutrition, dehydration, bedsores, filth, lice, etc.
The APS worker and I were trying to help the family work out the care issues or consider nursing home placement. Their interest was less than promising to say the least and the daughter was downright bizarre. She just did not want to be bothered and talked about her mother like she was a pet goldfish who dared to dirty up it's bowl. It just made my hair stand on end and I felt a strong impulse to leave the room. I was seasoned in my field, no stranger to abuse and neglect and family dysfunction, but this felt different, creepy.
The meeting ended with the daughter standing up and telling us that she was leaving her at the hospital and didn't care what happened to her and then they all got up and left.
The next day I was talking with the APS worker on the phone and out of nowhere she blurted out, ''You know, I actually felt evil in that room.'' I told her I did too. That was just what it was. This was many years ago. I ran into that worker at the grocery last year, both of us now retired. Immediately we brought that memory up and talked about it. I never felt that again in a professional role and I do believe that people can be possessed or oppressed by evil forces.
Ok, spill Shelia! LOL
I can relate. Having been an RN a child protective services worker, and case manager, I have been involved in really similar situations, unfortunately, more than one time.

Each time it was confirmed by another professional. One just asked if I felt something "off". I replied that I did. Another memorable time, a social worker asked me, "do these people seem evil - or it just me?" I confirmed that he was not alone.

Other times -

1. In the presence of a White Supremacist father and son.

2. Around a seven year old girl who was superficially charming, but had periods of violent and unprovoked aggression against her elderly grandmother, other children and pets.
The thought of this child, still makes me shudder.

3. Inside of a house where a murder had taken place. The murder of a 3 year old child by his mother's boyfriend. It was my friend's investment property, and she wanted to know if she should divest herself of the house after the murder.

4. A man who hissed at me on the subway in NYC.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The Gift of Fear is one of my favorite books.
I will add "People of the Lie", by the late M.Scott Peck. MD.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:29 AM

1,257 posts, read 884,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Gene Tierney?

What did she do, other than suffer from mental illness?
Some accounts say she was an alcoholic and horrifically abusive.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Neither make her "evil". Alcoholism is a disease that can cause people to act in ways that hey normally would not.

Famous celebrity people who seem "evil" - Bing Crosby, Joan Crawford, Mel Gibson. and Madonna.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:01 AM

15,701 posts, read 17,001,975 times
Quote:

I have never read anything like that, in fact, I looked her up after you mentioned it and read several pieces on her and never saw it mentioned.

IF it is true, I wouldn't put her in the same category as the rest you mentioned because of her obvious mental illness......that is not something she could help, especially in those days.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:42 AM

382 posts, read 509,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Max, that is so creepy! That dude was some kind of psychopath, and apparently he is raising his own bad seeds.
Believe me, I only told you guys about the tip of the iceberg with that dude (including several stories he told me that stopped short of him confessing that he's likely a rapist, particularly of very young women.. my suspicion is that he simply just "stopped short" of the end of those stores). I've met plenty of other people that were absolute psychos, but he does stand out as strongly "a potential tool of the devil" if you're inclined to believe such things.

I'm not strongly spiritual in any sense of the word, but I'm dead convinced that there is good and evil out there and I'm dead positive I encountered evil with him. Whether it was psychosis or supernatural is anyone's guess, but he was beyond a garden variety psycho. The nearest parallel to the feeling he imparted on me was Anthony Hopkin's portrayal of Hannibal Lecter in Silence of The Lambs, but without the smooth style or even passing understanding of right and wrong, which made it much worse. He also bares a slight physical resemblance to that character, so that didn't help either.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:02 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,206,334 times
I have two instances.

The first was when I was a child. I grew up in Kansas City suburbs. My first real friend, and still friends with to this day, was a girl. She lived across the street and up two houses. We used to play all over the neighborhood. This is long before the days of helicopter parenting... we were out of the house before lunch, came back to eat, and then would be out until dinner, then back out again, with very little adult supervision.

We had a neighbor who lived a street or two over. An older man, not married, no kids. Kept to himself as I remember, though what a kid realizes at the age of 6-7 should generally be taken with a grain of salt. Just past his house was a small lake, and we would go out there to play sometimes. One day he was near the lake too, and he called us over. We walked over, we knew he lived in the neighborhood so didn't feel afraid to approach him. I don't remember what exactly was said. But he was trying to separate us and get me to leave while my friend stayed behind. Something about he had heard my mom calling me or something.

To this day I really don't know what it was, but it was one of my first childhood memories where I REALIZED something was not right, in the way an adult would rationalize a situation. He was looking at my friend in some way that made me feel scared and I knew I couldn't leave her.

I grabbed her hand and we both ran off. Now, this was long before the days of sex registry lists and all that. But about 5-6 years later, (by then we had moved to TX) we heard from a neighbor/family friend that he had been arrested, charged with rape and assault of a minor, and a host of other things. He made bail and then killed himself. I think that day he might have targeted my friend at the lake but wasn't able to get her alone.

The second instance was a place. My uncle was a land developed in Chicago during the time when Cabrini Green still existed. His firm was one of the ones chosen to demolish and develop a new segment.

Anyway, after the residents had been vacated, I was with him on the job site and just wanted to check out the infamous area myself. I walked through one of the buildings and could see how miserable it was. Walked up a couple floors, went into a few rooms, etc. The further I went, the more the echoes and everything started to weigh in on me. It was downright creepy. The place was a cesspool of crime in its day, murders, rapes, robberies, you name it. You got a sense that you weren't safe anywhere, that literally where you were standing, someone had probably died violently. I've never felt anything quite like it. The fact that the residents spent years fighting against its destruction is just beyond my understanding. No one should want to live like that.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:49 AM

103 posts, read 75,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Another classic is Scott Peck's ''The People of the Lie''. An interesting combination of theology and psychology in examining behaviors and mentalities in a definition of evil.
Yep. EXCELLENT book. Interestingly, Peck concludes the book by saying two of the 'possessed' people he treated had been in churches when it happened. Creepy. And, true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal