Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 06:09 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,553,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanah View Post
There was a period in my life when i was so into everything Qabalah. I think there were some passages about Archangel Metatron and how to summon it.
I am a believer, yet I do not think that a prayer itself would act as a summoning.
There is no doubt in my experience that our prayers can summon help. If that weren't true I would have been dead several times. 1988 and 2011, twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 11:38 PM

48 posts, read 34,370 times
Interesting book about divine creatures is by Iamblichus.

http://www.universaltheosophy.com/pd...-Assyrians.pdf

Adepts of ancient mysteries evoced supernatural beings. This book is theoretic only, praxis is in translantions Egyptian and Greece magical papyri. Are free on net in pdf too.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:08 AM

166 posts, read 168,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpino View Post
Interesting book about divine creatures is by Iamblichus.

http://www.universaltheosophy.com/pd...-Assyrians.pdf

Adepts of ancient mysteries evoced supernatural beings. This book is theoretic only, praxis is in translantions Egyptian and Greece magical papyri. Are free on net in pdf too.
Interesting. Must take a look at it.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:04 AM

7,623 posts, read 4,534,990 times
Angels take orders from God. They belong to God. They may act on our behalf, but that doesn't mean God will be happy if we start trying to use them in ways God has not asked of them, especially if time we spend with them is prioritized above something God has asked them to do by the being's judgement.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:11 PM

923 posts, read 1,497,589 times
Today (September 29th) is Michaelmas.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:06 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,911,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
Interesting. The only Orthodox jurisdiction that celebrates the feast of Michaelmas today AFAIK are the Serbs; some other jurisdictions celebrate on Nov. 8th. I have no idea why the date difference between west and east. It's really celebrating all the archangels, not just Michael.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Interesting. The only Orthodox jurisdiction that celebrates the feast of Michaelmas today AFAIK are the Serbs; some other jurisdictions celebrate on Nov. 8th. I have no idea why the date difference between west and east.
There are quite a few date differences between west and east, including Easter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
It's really celebrating all the archangels, not just Michael.
Yes, that is correct.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:51 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,911,440 times
Quote:
There are quite a few date differences between west and east, including Easter.
The difference with Easter (Pascha, meaning Passover, in Orthodoxy) is related to the Gregorian calendar reform. But that's not the case for the synaxis of the archangels. Curious, I did some digging and found that the Orthodox celebration on November 8th goes back to the 4th century and that date was chosen for theological reasons:

Quote:
In the fourth century, during the time of Sylvester, Pope of Rome, and Alexander, Patriarch of Alexandria, the present Feast of Archangel Michael and all the other heavenly powers was instituted for celebration in the month of November. Why precisely in November? Because November is the ninth month after March, and March is considered to be the month in which the world was created. Also, as the ninth month after March, November was chosen for the nine orders of angels who were created first.
Link to source

The date of Michaelmas in the west, on the other hand, was apparently chosen since September 29 is near the equinox:

Quote:
There are traditionally four “quarter days” in a year (Lady Day (25th March), Midsummer (24th June), Michaelmas (29th September) and Christmas (25th December)). They are spaced three months apart, on religious festivals, usually close to the solstices or equinoxes. They were the four dates on which servants were hired, rents due or leases begun. It used to be said that harvest had to be completed by Michaelmas, almost like the marking of the end of the productive season and the beginning of the new cycle of farming. It was the time at which new servants were hired or land was exchanged and debts were paid. This is how it came to be for Michaelmas to be the time for electing magistrates and also the beginning of legal and university terms.
Link to source

Old 10-02-2017, 07:09 AM

166 posts, read 168,745 times
Quote:
My great-grandma celebrated it in November

Old 10-02-2017, 10:12 AM

Today October 2nd is the memorial of the Guardian Angels (in the west).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal