Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 10:20 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,162,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Here's a photo of a hyena skeleton:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0

Looks like we have a match. I don't know where in the U.S. the publisher of the "hissing critter" found this skeleton, but perhaps a hyena could have escaped a zoo or something and been living wild???
I think you nailed it. Several have been seen crossing roads etc.I sent him a photo of a Rhodesian Hyena and he said that was very very close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 02:55 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,594,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I think you nailed it. Several have been seen crossing roads etc.I sent him a photo of a Rhodesian Hyena and he said that was very very close.
What is a Rhodesian Hyena?

Old 10-05-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
What is a Rhodesian Hyena?
Looking for the photo.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Looking for the photo.
I tried to do a search for it and came up with nothing. There's a Rhodesian ridgeback, but that's a hound dog, not a hyena. Do you think your friend could give an estimate about the approximate size of the skeleton?

Old 10-06-2017, 09:07 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,617,516 times
So many people like to have exotic pets, and import them illegally, that maybe someone had a pet hyena and turned it loose. There are a lot of strange private zoos, or animal collections, in some states that allow that. And we've all heard of people having wolves as pets. I don't think a pet hyena gone feral is unbelievable. Think about it. if your illegal pet hyena goes missing, are you gonna call the cops? That's like calling to report that someone stole your weed!

Last edited by TheShadow; 10-06-2017 at 09:16 AM..

Old 10-06-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
So many people like to have exotic pets, and import them illegally, that maybe someone had a pet hyena and turned it loose. There are a lot of strange private zoos, or animal collections, in some states that allow that. And we've all heard of people having wolves as pets. I don't think a pet hyena gone feral is unbelievable. Think about it. if your illegal pet hyena goes missing, are you gonna call the cops? That's like calling to report that someone stole your weed!
When the law comes around they just let them go. Plus the guy that let's them go for no good reason.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Keeping a hyena as a pet would be insane. They're fairly large, very powerful, and dangerous animals. Turning one loose would be worse, especially for the hyena. A pet hyena wouldn't go feral because they're already feral. If a hyena has been raised by humans as a cub, it would have a hard time surviving on its own in the wilds. Apparently, hyena cubs need to learn from other hyenas how to hunt for food. And speaking of food, hyenas eat a lot of meat each day, about 33 pounds a day (990 pounds per month). That would amount to a pretty hefty grocery bill. If a person raising a hyena turned it loose for any reason, then that person has no business owning one in the first place. It would be more compassionate to have it put down.

It's possible a hyena may have escaped captivity or had been released. But it's hard to say how well it would survive. If the alleged "Hissin' Critter" is in fact a hyena, and it was unable to survive, that might explain the skeleton. It may have starved to death. But then that would assume the skeleton is that of a hyena. We need more information about that skeleton, preferably an identification from a professional zoologist.

https://www.quora.com/Can-you-keep-a-hyena-as-a-pet

Hyena facts: is this a cowardly scavenger or an efficient hunter?

Are there Hyenas in North American wilderness (Page 1) - Mammals - Ask a Biologist Q&A

Old 10-07-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Keeping a hyena as a pet would be insane. They're fairly large, very powerful, and dangerous animals. Turning one loose would be worse, especially for the hyena. A pet hyena wouldn't go feral because they're already feral. If a hyena has been raised by humans as a cub, it would have a hard time surviving on its own in the wilds. Apparently, hyena cubs need to learn from other hyenas how to hunt for food. And speaking of food, hyenas eat a lot of meat each day, about 33 pounds a day (990 pounds per month). That would amount to a pretty hefty grocery bill. If a person raising a hyena turned it loose for any reason, then that person has no business owning one in the first place. It would be more compassionate to have it put down.

It's possible a hyena may have escaped captivity or had been released. But it's hard to say how well it would survive. If the alleged "Hissin' Critter" is in fact a hyena, and it was unable to survive, that might explain the skeleton. It may have starved to death. But then that would assume the skeleton is that of a hyena. We need more information about that skeleton, preferably an identification from a professional zoologist.

https://www.quora.com/Can-you-keep-a-hyena-as-a-pet

Hyena facts: is this a cowardly scavenger or an efficient hunter?

Are there Hyenas in North American wilderness (Page 1) - Mammals - Ask a Biologist Q&A
Crossbred? Insane? The countryside is inhabited by the strange.

They have seen several live ones,

Old 10-07-2017, 07:25 PM

Jaguars have no love for us either. i SAW A PAIR THAT WENT BALLISTIC PISSED ON JUST MY SIgHT FROM 200 FT AWAY. darn caps. sorry.

I would want anything that wanted to kill me let alone clean up it's crap every day.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Crossbred?
Not sure what you mean by "crossbred". Do you mean a crossbreed that's part hyena?

Quote:
Insane?
I meant keeping a hyena as a pet is not the greatest idea for good reasons which I pointed out.

Quote:
The countryside is inhabited by the strange.
So you're saying Oklahoma's countryside has strange things living there? All over the state? Or just the area where the skeleton were found?

Quote:
They have seen several live ones,
Who saw several live whats? Hissin' Critters? Hyenas? Or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal