Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 07:16 AM

370 posts, read 502,233 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Someday I would love to write my story how I grew up in a house that was haunted. I love ghost stories, old cities tied to hauntings and so on...but lately when I turn on the TV to watch a show on ghost adventures I see these men yelling and running around a house trying to lure the ghost out.
It's almost like they are ready to fight them live on TV. What is that one that is so bad it's not even bad good...the one on the travel channel?

What happened to the art of really trying to study hauntings? It's an industry that has turned into a freak circus shows? Also, why is it the one on the travel channel - with those three men - always have something caught on camera...a knocking on a wall (by the producer on the other side) or a recording of a ghost (by an actor they hired)

Anyone else get tired of what these phonies ruining the art of ghosting hunting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 08:05 AM

296 posts, read 188,284 times
Paranormal television shows are for entertainment, and not educational purposes. Ghost hunting in itself is very boring, usually waiting for hours and hours for something to happen. These shows are in competition with each other, and will very often take the most meager of evidence and overstate it as something incredible. Being that I investigate the paranormal full time now, I will often throw out better evps than they present to the audience.

In the early days of Ghost Hunters, half of their episodes ended with no evidence, and them debunking the haunting. Ghost Adventures changed all of that, and suddenly everywhere GH went was "Hollywood Haunted".

Now, every show has to have a gimmick to stand out from the others.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:41 PM

22,854 posts, read 28,097,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Guy View Post
Paranormal television shows are for entertainment, and not educational purposes.
That's true, but I get the OP's point and totally agree. We've had show after show after show of ridiculousness, with people wandering around dark basements shouting into the darkness and hoping to catch some static that might kinda/sorta sound like a distorted voice if you really use your imagination. Yawn.

I would love to see a show that took a more objective and scientific approach, that explored the history of supposed hauntings, investigated them, and found some level-headed experts to interview rather than the nuttiest nuts they can get on camera.

I would love to see a show on exorcism that interviewed actual exorcists rather than the fruit loops they usually have on these shows.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:57 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,550,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Guy View Post
Paranormal television shows are for entertainment, and not educational purposes. Ghost hunting in itself is very boring, usually waiting for hours and hours for something to happen. These shows are in competition with each other, and will very often take the most meager of evidence and overstate it as something incredible. Being that I investigate the paranormal full time now, I will often throw out better evps than they present to the audience.

In the early days of Ghost Hunters, half of their episodes ended with no evidence, and them debunking the haunting. Ghost Adventures changed all of that, and suddenly everywhere GH went was "Hollywood Haunted".

Now, every show has to have a gimmick to stand out from the others.
I agree and find that the ones I enjoy more involve individuals telling a story of something that happened to them:

My Haunted House
Paranormal Witness
The Haunted
Ghostly Encounters
The Dead Files
A Haunting
Celebrity Ghost Stories
The Haunting Of...

Some of these are old but still seen on Destination America, FYI, Travel Channel.

A new one, "Evil Things" is pretty good.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:59 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,550,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
Hello,

Someday I would love to write my story how I grew up in a house that was haunted. I love ghost stories, old cities tied to hauntings and so on...but lately when I turn on the TV to watch a show on ghost adventures I see these men yelling and running around a house trying to lure the ghost out.
It's almost like they are ready to fight them live on TV. What is that one that is so bad it's not even bad good...the one on the travel channel?

What happened to the art of really trying to study hauntings? It's an industry that has turned into a freak circus shows? Also, why is it the one on the travel channel - with those three men - always have something caught on camera...a knocking on a wall (by the producer on the other side) or a recording of a ghost (by an actor they hired)

Anyone else get tired of what these phonies ruining the art of ghosting hunting?
Would love to hear some of your stories.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:43 PM

947 posts, read 1,245,982 times
I like the Dead Files with Amy Allen. She visists a location, and goes through the house talking about the ghosts or in some cases other enities in the place. Meanwhile Steve Di Shavoni, her partner talks to the home owners or business owners and does research on the place.It's interesting how much of what each uncovers jives together. In otherwords, they match up.
By the way a few of the places they have been to, well Ghost Adventures has also been at, like Leslie's Family Tree Restaurant in Utah. Amy came in and told them what to do about the ghosts. They didn't take her advice. Then these same owners were doing haunted tours, and called in Zak and the guys from Ghost Adventures crying about the activity. It was becoming a problem. Well they brought it on themselves. IF they had just listened to Amy, the situation would be much better.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:23 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,138,905 times
It goes hand in hand with the Hollywood perception that all hauntings are demonic. Way creepier and much easier to write for.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:53 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,949,360 times
Interesting topic! I'm a person who kinda WANTS to believe in ghosts...but can't really say anything like a haunting has ever happened to me.

I live in the St. Louis area, and every year, around Halloween, a local radio station picks someplace 'haunted' to do a radio show. They are almost always interesting, but for ME, I sometimes think "Well, the people got themselves all worked up, and freaked out."

But one time, I was listening to their show, and they were at a place called Milton School, in Alton, IL. Alton is supposedly a very haunted place. So...I'm listening, and I hear, plain as day, in a small child's voice "He's coming. Daddy's coming. He said he would."

I'm one of those people who NEVER understands the supposed EVDs and always think "I guess...if you say so..." but they never are understandable to me...but THIS...this wasn't even anyone TRYING to play an EVP...it was just audio set up somewhere in the school. And like I said, I heard it plain as day.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:27 PM

102,075 posts, read 107,068,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
Hello,

I think a lot of TV shows today are too hyped-up. Like some of the archaeology shows, instead of feeling like documentaries, they're more like reality adventures, collapsed in time, so that too much happens too fast, in the allotted time. It's hard to swallow. I've given up.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:08 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,906,050 times
Just found a link to this article on The Anomalist site on the phoniness of the ghost hunter shows:

Why those TV ghost-hunting shows are fake

Last edited by Vasily; 10-06-2017 at 06:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal