Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 10:27 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,587 times

Advertisements

Anyone here ever had an out of body experience on purpose or accident, if so, can you explain it. This is more of a curiosity question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 11:15 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
Anyone here ever had an out of body experience on purpose or accident, if so, can you explain it. This is more of a curiosity question.
As I posted in another thread:

>>
I had another weird experience once. In grad school, I took a nap one afternoon and between a waking and sleeping state I looked down at my body and there was like a spirit body, attached at an angle to my head. I nearly woke up at the moment when this other part of me was about to fly off. And the hinge was at my head. I even played with it a little, making my "feet" go up and down.

I'm not given to hallucinations and no drugs or alcohol were involved. This was an indication, to me, that there is, indeed, a spirit body, and one which may travel about when one sleeps. And by extension, if there is a spirit body then all kinds of other things may be true.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:54 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
I believe I have had an out of body experience. And I think I did some astral travel.

The short version is, I was young...14ish I think, and I was trying to practice meditation, as I had read how to do so in a magazine.

The first time I had 'out of body', it felt like the heavy part of me was sinking down into my bed, leaving the lighter part of me. (Understand...at the time, I didn't realize I was having an out of body experience, so how I explain what was happening...is how it seemed at the time.) Eventually, the lighter part and the heavier part of me came back together.

The second time, it was the same sensation...the heavy part of me sinking down, leaving the lighter part.

The third time, the lighter part of me actually lifted up, and then the next thing I knew, I was walking down a dirt path, toward a big gate with runes carved in it. The path went through heavy woods on both sides of the path. The closer to the gate I got, I heard whisperings and murmurings in the woods. It seemed like the voices were just out of sight, because the woods were so heavy. As I got closer to the gate, the voices got more and more agitated and excited, but I still couldn't see anyone.

When I got to the gate, the voices were saying "DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!" really urging me to go through the gate. But the voices creeped me out and scared me, so I turned around to leave.

The next thing I know, I am in my bed, and the bed is shaking violently. I honestly wondered if the whole household could hear the commotion.

Upon reading about astral travel, I believe that my astral self was making a rather rocky landing back into my physical self.

And that's my story.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:28 PM

48 posts, read 34,475 times
Default Out of body..

There is a procedure that everyone can easily try. You could every evening before bedtime done meditation about a journey. But journey with watching the steps, to observe the surroundings ....
best known plaaces for verification.
After some period of regular repetition you will see ....

Old 10-11-2017, 12:54 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
It happened to me at age 14, while camping with my family at Mesa Verde, CO.

Regarding Mesa Verde: An unusual place. Inhabited by the Anasazi Indians since about 7500 BCE, who built intricate cliff dwellings with tunnels and passageways. By 1300 CE, the population is thought to have been around 22,000. By the turn of the 14th century, it was uninhabited. The pottery & baskets left behind, the people gone without a trace; it remained abandoned until the late 1880's when two ranchers discovered it while riding horseback searching for lost cattle.

It is a known location of an electromagnetic energy vortex. In fact, the walls containing cave paintings include spiral petroglyphs drawn by its former inhabitants. Apparently, Mesa Verde is now thought by modern day shamans to be a dimensional portal.

Not that any of that was known to me back then; that was during my mom's "off-grid experience" phase & Mesa Verde was only a few hours drive away & was a National Park that allowed for backpacking & primitive camping & we would be able to participate in some cliff dwelling tours.

Our first day, after taking a couple of tours, we hiked 3 miles into the middle of nowhere & made camp. Nighttime was freezing cold but we were well equipped & comfortable. I was strategically placed at the back of the tent, as I have a bizarre history of sleep walking but only when camping (Once at age 10, I was found in the forest in the middle of the night, standing on the edge of a cliff overlooking a river). I didn't mind, as that allowed me to have access to a little zippered window & I could see the moon & stars.

I don't remember getting sleepy, or being aware that I had been asleep & woke up. But I was suddenly aware that some time had passed & that everybody else was asleep. The moon was full & had moved to being directly above my little window. It took up the whole window with barely some jagged edges of pine tree shillouets on the sides.

I blinked my eyes & something was different ... the moon looked bigger. And brighter. And the treetops vs the sides were now shilloutted against it. That's when I realized that I wasn't looking out of the window anymore & I thought " There's a hole in the tent?" When I looked to the side I was looking at the tops of the trees & I knew; I wasn't in the tent anymore. Something was supporting me & lifting me slowly up & I could see my families tent on the dark ground. I started screaming for my parents saying "Help I'm outside! I'm in the trees!"

And I heard my mom saying " You're right here. What's wrong." The moon suddenly went dark & I was again looking at the inside of the tent. I looked to my right & there was the moon back behind the sides of the trees.

I know, without a doubt; that I had just seconds before been looking at the night sky ... from the night sky but I never told my parents what had happened. They thought I was just over-anxious about sleep-walking again & I let it go at that.

I'm not a dreamer; my dreams never mean anything. I'm not a visionary & I don't "do" the metaphysical thing. But I "feel" things. And the whole time I was there I felt ... many. I don't know how else to say it but I was never alone there.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:41 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
The Monroe Institute has done tons of research into OOBEs and the book series by Robert Monroe is useful and gives details how etc.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
The Monroe Institute has done tons of research into OOBEs and the book series by Robert Monroe is useful and gives details how etc.
Thank you for posting this. Numerous books, the Institute, all kinds of information online. This is amazing. And not the work of a con artist.

Now I know the experience I had was not a product of my imagination.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:58 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Once, as a child.

I don't know if it had anything to do with the haircut, but I remember it has happening the day after a haircut. I had long, thick, curly hair that would tangle easily, and my mother was always very impatient trying to brush our hair and get us out of the house in the morning, and it HURT when she brushed my hair and I would cry.

So one day she said she was taking me for a haircut, and she took me to a man's barber shop and had them chop off all my hair like a boy's. I had no idea that this was going to happen, and I was horrified when I saw myself in the mirror. This was second grade, so I was 7.

The next morning, I left to walk to school, and I would stop at a friend's on the way who walked to school with me. On the way to her house, I somehow was outside of myself and up in the trees across the street watching myself walking around the corner toward my friend's house. I can still see it in my mind. I am wearing a white raincoat and have that short hair and I am watching myself walk from up high. It was only a matter of seconds and then I was back down inside myself.

I think that because I associate this event with the "traumatic haircut", being upset about my hair but having to pretend I wasn't upset (which I had to learned to do by then) may have been the catalyst for my briefly leaving myself for a moment. Perhaps the squashed emotion was too much to bear and caused the break.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-15-2017 at 02:06 PM..

Old 10-16-2017, 10:20 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
So, although this question is from curiosity, have you had an OBE and is this what has prompted the question? If so, tell us about your experience.

I think OBEs are due to what the shrinks call disassociation and may well be caused by several factors. I believe I have read that trauma can cause it, as can heightened emotions. I suspect that some of us have a very strong attachment to our physical bodies and so find it extremely difficult to get out of body. I have been trying various techniques for ages. Others of us may have a loose attachment and find it easy or easier to separate.

Once there, from what I have read, it seems we can go travelling in other realities. Maybe this is what the old stories of witches were referring to when they said witches could place their body into a black cat and see what was going on in other places. I am not sure that it is possible to actually take over an animal, but I have heard that it is possible to change the shape of the other body to make it appear (to others who can see such ghostie things) as you want it to appear. Basically, it seems that once out, your body becomes a less-dense cloud of loose particles and you can mould it into the mental form you want but the 'default' form is as yourself here. I should think this is rather cool.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:05 AM

540 posts, read 1,910,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
So, although this question is from curiosity, have you had an OBE and is this what has prompted the question?

No experience whatsoever, I was just reading a story online and it made me think that a person could possibly achieve an OBE with experience of getting there, which prompted my question to those who had one, if they could share their details.

I do dream very deeply though and when I pop out of my dream state, I feel exhausted mentally and physically, it's like an adventure each time and feels so real but I just rule it a dream and nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal