U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:00 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,152,841 times

Advertisements

If any producer or film maker is reading this forum, I have always thought that a "show" about aliens might go down well. Particularly one which investigates abductions, since these are supposed to be very common and it is something which needs to be brought to the TV viewers attention more. Doing a TV program on this subject - even if it is faked - would at least bring the subject into public discussion and out of the closet.

Now ghost and Bigfoot hunting seems to be an entertainment, it is commonly talked about right? So lets move on to something which is not so acceptable and maybe we would get disclosure coming a little sooner or at least awareness moved in the right direction.

Ghost Adventures had an episode (Ghost Adventures S12E12 Stardust Ranch) where they kind of touched on this abduction phenomena but Zak did not go too close or in-depth. I feel he does not want to go in that direction but I think it would make GA different and they could easily scare themselves far more if they concentrated on that subject.

It is strange, ghost hunting folks now seem to think they are immune from harm and that ghosts are some kind of phenomena which are toothless and harmless. As you guys say, it is entertainment and they enjoy scaring themselves. If it were aliens, which probably do not play by the same rules (the ghost hunters might get probed !), then I think we would see a completely different and far more serious and maybe worthwhile approach.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 10:12 PM

13,851 posts, read 22,468,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
If any producer or film maker is reading this forum, I have always thought that a "show" about aliens might go down well. Particularly one which investigates abductions, since these are supposed to be very common and it is something which needs to be brought to the TV viewers attention more. Doing a TV program on this subject - even if it is faked - would at least bring the subject into public discussion and out of the closet.

Now ghost and Bigfoot hunting seems to be an entertainment, it is commonly talked about right? So lets move on to something which is not so acceptable and maybe we would get disclosure coming a little sooner or at least awareness moved in the right direction.

Ghost Adventures had an episode (Ghost Adventures S12E12 Stardust Ranch) where they kind of touched on this abduction phenomena but Zak did not go too close or in-depth. I feel he does not want to go in that direction but I think it would make GA different and they could easily scare themselves far more if they concentrated on that subject.

It is strange, ghost hunting folks now seem to think they are immune from harm and that ghosts are some kind of phenomena which are toothless and harmless. As you guys say, it is entertainment and they enjoy scaring themselves. If it were aliens, which probably do not play by the same rules (the ghost hunters might get probed !), then I think we would see a completely different and far more serious and maybe worthwhile approach.
No, it’s not commonly talked about. Most people think it’s stupid. Even if they might believe, the ghost shows are ridiculed. As well they should, they are pretty ridiculous.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
No, it’s not commonly talked about. Most people think it’s stupid.
Lets get some clarity here. What is stupid please? Being an individual yourself, how exactly do you know what "most people" think?

Old 10-07-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Lets get some clarity here. What is stupid please? Being an individual yourself, how exactly do you know what "most people" think?
Because I talk to people. A lot of the stuff on these shows are faked, because Hollywood has conditioned us to have tons of stuff happen all the time. In real life, it’s supposedly not that dramatic. But if these shows aren’t packed with “ evidence” they fail. So they give them what the viewers want. And a lot of people shake their heads at people who tout these shows as proof.

Also the ghost shows are on high numbered channels...which translates into not watched as much. So most people are probably not aware of these shows. And of those aware, most of them don’t watch.

So yes, a lot of people do think these shows are stupid. I watch a few of them, and I think they’re stupid. Pure silly entertainment.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:49 PM

3-25-2017 Ghost Adventures rating. 0.32, with a viewership of 784,000. Same night, House Hunter Renovations has the same rating, 0.32, with 1.4 million viewers...
So, with a population of 325 some million people in the US? 784,000 is pretty paltry

Old 10-08-2017, 06:22 PM

I agree the ghost shows are pretty silly, dramatised and often faked, but for some reason I thought you might be referring to the alien abduction phenomena which I think might well be happening in some form. If it is, then thats a serious problem for us all.

It may not be in the form which is more often talked about, but I think it does happen because of the number of people who say they have been abducted. Of course, that also assumes aliens are real and hanging around the Earth environment which many people dont accept anyway.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:21 AM

3,182 posts, read 3,936,736 times
That is why in another thread here I suggested that shows in which people share their story of a haunting or encounter are more authentic, though dramatised.
I myself and people I know have had experiences similar to these type. My fav is a Canadian show, Ghostly Encounters on DA.
The other ones where they are searching in the dark and calling out, etc. are tedious and boring and create responses to entertain.
I do know of paranormal investigators who have captured EVPs, seen shadow people, etc. but these experiences would not be a regular occurence, as shown on shows like Ghost Hunters or Ghost Adventures.
And there have been some segments on various UFO shows on abduction and with interviews of abductees. Saw one where a psychologist does hypnosis and regression therapy to help people recall experiences.
This stuff scares me more than anything and I don't think many would be forthcoming to be on such a show for fear of ridicule. And I do believe it happens. There are too many documented cases world wide with similarities before these types of case details were talked about openly in the media and in scientific circles.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:23 AM

16,081 posts, read 25,765,936 times
Believe it or not....according to statistics 42 - 45 % of the population believe in ghosts.

"It is strange, ghost hunting folks now seem to think they are immune from harm and that ghosts are some kind of phenomena which are toothless and harmless."

ocpaul20
Where did you get this impression? Serious ghost hunters know they're not immune. If I'm remembering correctly, even your guys from Ghost Adventures have had some issues.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:30 AM

Familiarity breeds contempt as they say. So many of them try to get a reaction by baiting and taunting the ghosts (or whatever). In reality, they have no idea what they are dealing with, just that many of the 'ghosts' are relatively intelligent and that they 'live' in another dimension or place.

It has become commonplace to call the ones which exhibit negative behaviour as 'demons' which has strong religious connotations, and they often bring in exorcists who use the power of a religious figure to 'bannish' the 'demon'. This whole thing is ridiculous and does not move us any further along in our understanding of the phenomena. In some circumstances the holy water/religious practices may have worked, but it is highly unlikely that the ghosts or whatever they are, believe in the same things we do.

The ghost hunter groups often involve members of the public too which is irresponsible at best, particularly if you are taunting and you dont know what reaction you will get.

There is obviously some kind of divide between those on that side and ourselves in this 3D world. Wouldn't it be better to try to understand how that side works and interacts with our dimension. In fact it is rather like witch hunts of old and just goes to show history repeats itself.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:06 AM

3,182 posts, read 3,936,736 times
When I see a site like the " ax murder house" in Iowa used for profit, that bothers me very much. There needs to be respect for the dead in some of these places where horrific acts of violence took place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal