Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 06:28 PM

22,325 posts, read 11,842,839 times

Advertisements

My husband went out to run an errand this morning. When he returned, he left the car in the driveway as we were planning to go out again in a while. When he got out of the car, he looked down and saw a key in the driveway. It wasn't like any keys we had and looked like an old one. Also, it had a small, cheap, thin key ring on it.

Since we had some surveyors on our property earlier in the day, I figured that one of them dropped it. We sold our house recently and before settlement, the buyer apparently arranged the survey. The surveyors left their business card so my husband called the number on the card. A woman who answered the phone told us that she would call the 2 surveyors and ask if it was their key. She called back shortly to say that neither of them lost a key.

When things like that happen, I try to think of all logical reasons for what occurred. If the key had been near the driveway apron, perhaps the mail carrier could have dropped it. Or when trash pickup happened, it fell out of a trash can. Except the key was in the middle of the driveway.

No one has been to our house lately in several days. I wondered if someone came along and door hanged us with a flyer trying to sell something. Yet that didn't happen.

Any thoughts? I'm open to hearing any possibilities. In other words, there could be a logical explanation or on the other hand, something that can't be explained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 07:25 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
Critter. Found it somewhere and was playing with it and dumped it on your property after it was done.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Critter. Found it somewhere and was playing with it and dumped it on your property after it was done.
Thank you for responding.

That's quite possible. We do have our share of critters around (raccoons, skunks, foxes).

Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 PM

14,690 posts, read 14,832,500 times
I often find metallic objects and other small shiny things outside that crows or squirrels drop or bury in the ground. If the key was in the middle of your driveway my guess is it was dropped from above by a crow hoping it would break when it hit the hard driveway.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:49 PM

^^^^Thank you. I recall reading once that crows like shiny things. This key is a dull gold color and not shiny... Maybe they like small items like keys?

Old 10-14-2017, 03:23 PM

11,026 posts, read 9,659,351 times
I was going to say a crow too. We always find cracked nutshells on our drive, even though there are no overhanging nut trees. I think that's why they pick our driveway to drop them on, no trees blocking the cement. Crows are like packrats and are attracted to shiny things. They are also very intelligent birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal