U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:11 PM

12,920 posts, read 14,359,812 times

Advertisements

What do you think of these "cold" psychic readings? (see clip below)

I feel like this is the only subforum to discuss this from a skeptical point of view. I consider myself both a believer and a skeptic. I believe that the medium is using real sensations and psychic feelings to get their information. The same way that a salesman can "read" his customer. But I don't think that they are necessarily communicating with the dead, at least not in real time.

I think they are very good at reading people. They can also read other people's subconscious thoughts. And there is also a reading of any thoughts which have been unconsciously "transmitted" to the subject from another person. (Think of it as an unread email in your inbox.) The receiver of the message is not able to read the message because it is stuck somewhere in the psychic connection between the two people. But the psychic medium has the ability to read into this "network" of communications between the subject and the other person they are close to.

In other words, they are using a unique and rare skill. The skilled medium probably doesn't understand where the information is coming from. But still, they are able to translate the information into a special message that they have assessed that the subject should hear. Like a salesman, they probably create a special message that they think the subject would most likely want to hear. But it's not intentional on the medium's part.

What do you think of this rational understanding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF7g0d4VSYQ
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 09:40 PM

33,550 posts, read 14,100,714 times
I'll tell you a little story about my psychic experiences. When I was teaching in Maryland back around 1980, I worked with a woman named Christine. After about 7 years working with her, I moved to Virginia and saw almost nothing of any friends who were connected. One day a friend in Virginia said, "I saw Christine last night". "Christine who?" And he told me, and I asked how he could possibly know her. He refused to answer. A few weeks later he brought it up again, and this time I insisted he explain how he knew Christine. He told me that regionally she was actually a fairly well known psychic, but never discussed that with colleagues at work. He suggested I go visit her.

After 5 years I saw Christine and she went over with me things about me since we had worked together. Not things that other friends knew. Things about how my thinking had evolved. It was amazing and very detailed. At the time, I was very close to the cushion, so I was thinking about having a roommate...something I had discussed with not one single person, except the roommate himself. Out the blue she said, "Well, he's dark-skinned, but not Black; probably Asian. He's a cook, but not in a regular restaurant; perhaps in a major D.C. hotel. Ultimately it won't work out in terms of being a good roommate situation, but your life will change for the better forever because of it. You should do it, though you will find it very rocky." Everything was exactly as she said.

A couple of years later I went to see her again and, by that time, because of the roommate I had fallen in love with the culture of Thailand, and had already visited over 2 summers. I asked her why I was so in love with the Thai culture. She told me that in a previous life I had lived in Thailand, and wondered if there was an association between Thai Buddhist temples and music; and generally speaking, there is not. Nevertheless she associated me with music in a Thai Buddhist temple in a past life.

A few months later I was on vacation about 200 miles away. A friend said, "Oh, I know of a psychic here. Why don't you go." So I did. Called and gave only a first name and no indication of where I was from or that I had ever seen a psychic before. Bottom line -- she also associated me with music in a Thai Buddhist temple in a past life.

A year later I went to another psychic. Same sort of situation. Exact same result.

Another year a Vietnamese psychic told me that in exactly 1 year a tragedy would strike my family and would split the family apart. One year later to the day, my nephew burned my grandmother's house down and, for some reason I never learned, my mother stopped talking with me for one full year and my grandmother and mother (who had lived together at that point) became estranged.

I haven't been back to a psychic in at least 20 years. But, at least sometimes, there is something there that I cannot explain logically.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:13 AM

8,691 posts, read 7,896,809 times
I`ve considered that it is familiar spirit which help the medium or wizard get the information about the person and than the plan for their future which these spirit will produce in their lives ..... Where the wizards do not even believe in familiar spirits as they believe in some gift they got from God or something ........ The difference is that the gifts of God comes free or for charity only , where the wizard will charge for their service for their pocket only

Old 10-13-2017, 05:19 AM

12,920 posts, read 14,359,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I`ve considered that it is familiar spirit which help the medium or wizard get the information about the person and than the plan for their future which these spirit will produce in their lives ..... Where the wizards do not even believe in familiar spirits as they believe in some gift they got from God or something ........ The difference is that the gifts of God comes free or for charity only , where the wizard will charge for their service for their pocket only
By "familiar spirit" I certainly hope that you are not talking about evil spirits or demons.

Please refrain from the discussion of demons or any Christian viewpoint. Thank you.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:18 AM

67,555 posts, read 63,034,910 times
Good thread.

I also consider myself a believer yet a skeptic. I am aware of how easily it would be to be fooled. I've gone for a couple of different readings and different types of readings this past year, with varying results. One hit a mark at the outset (telling me I spend a lot of time in summer at music events near water. I live near the ocean and take advantage of the free blues and jazz concerts held by the beach in summer. This reading was hundreds of miles from the ocean in another state. I am 59 years old--not at first glance someone you think goes to listen to bands. It was just odd.) But the rest of her reading was accurate but vague (you do something creative, have a project that you are working on, are in a period of transformation--yeah, but that all applies to most people.)

The second was a rune reader who asked me to ask three specific questions. For some reason, I trusted and clicked with her immediately, maybe because stones are the tools of her trade and I am partial to rocks and stones. The answer to the first question seems to have been accurate. The other two answers were specific and interesting, but it remains to be seen in the future if they were accurate or not.

The third reading was very interesting (tarot) and surprised me a bit with the reader's enthusiasm over what she considered a "great reading". I asked no questions and told her nothing about me, just that I wanted a general reading. Some things could apply to anyone, IMO, or rather that what I heard anyone could hear and fit into their own life. Other things made me go "hmmm".

I will probably do it again, but it would not become my source of decision-making.

I am on a train right now, so I will listen to the clip later.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:31 AM

11,937 posts, read 3,098,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What do you think of these "cold" psychic readings? (see clip below)

I feel like this is the only subforum to discuss this from a skeptical point of view. I consider myself both a believer and a skeptic. I believe that the medium is using real sensations and psychic feelings to get their information. The same way that a salesman can "read" his customer. But I don't think that they are necessarily communicating with the dead, at least not in real time.

I think they are very good at reading people. They can also read other people's subconscious thoughts. And there is also a reading of any thoughts which have been unconsciously "transmitted" to the subject from another person. (Think of it as an unread email in your inbox.) The receiver of the message is not able to read the message because it is stuck somewhere in the psychic connection between the two people. But the psychic medium has the ability to read into this "network" of communications between the subject and the other person they are close to.

In other words, they are using a unique and rare skill. The skilled medium probably doesn't understand where the information is coming from. But still, they are able to translate the information into a special message that they have assessed that the subject should hear. Like a salesman, they probably create a special message that they think the subject would most likely want to hear. But it's not intentional on the medium's part.

What do you think of this rational understanding?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF7g0d4VSYQ
Snake oil salesmen. Or hustlers...whatever you want to call them.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:56 AM

19,345 posts, read 14,802,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
In other words, they are using a unique and rare skill.
The skilled medium probably doesn't understand where the information is coming from.
Not so rare and they /we know exactly where it's coming from...not a medium, but psychic
where it freaks people out and I have to not blurt things out sometimes.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:09 AM

19,345 posts, read 14,802,143 times
Paying a medium for some insight is fine with me...it's their time and energy and gas
to get where you are, sorry hljc ..'I think I won't pay my dentist, cuz...
he should be doing this for free...
after all...it was a gift from God his parents sent him to school' ...with that reasoning.

If you have their number they will tell you for free, of course, where your
lost necklace is or whatever...actually 2 different times this happened to a friend..
she kept losing it 'forever', panicked...but nope, there is was both times.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:11 AM

67,555 posts, read 63,034,910 times
I have known a number of times when women were pregnant before they told me, and at least twice I knew before the woman did. I suppose I could be picking up unconsciously on some barely discernable physical change.

I once had to bite my tongue when a coworker confided that she'd had a miscarriage the previous year and that she and her husband were trying but had not yet been able to conceive. "You HAVE conceived, and it will be a girl" is what I wanted to blurt out, but who was I to say such a thing. But I was right.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:57 PM

87,854 posts, read 81,615,624 times
OP, the kid is the real deal. "Reading" people? No. Notice that they're sitting expressionless, especially the guy. He didn't change his expression through the whole session that pertained to him, except at the end, The woman remained expressionless, too, until halfway through her session. The info's coming too fast, and in too much detail for it to be anything but the real deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal