Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 11:36 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,912,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I've always wondered if our soul or spirit helps us with decision making as in what is right or wrong. Or is the soul just a witness on how we have lived our lives.
That implies your soul or spirit is not the same as you. If that's what you mean, what else is there? If your soul is a witness or helper to "you", what is that you if it's neither your spiritual part, your physical part, or both of them together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 12:18 PM

48 posts, read 34,370 times
Maybe it's a little bit more complicated. See ancient philosophies and seven bodies. Eastern, gnostics and some others.
Etheric, astral, mental, .....etc.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
In answer to your last sentence, we already have, it's called EVP.

Google it.

Bob.
Peace its me again you have the patience of a saint. I studied the history of religion for over 35yrs. If you do any research you will find that many references to reincarnation in the bible were removed by the popes and religious scholars to control people and keep them docile. The bible is not everyones yard stick for history certainly not mine. The bible was written by man and changed many times to suit himself. Thats why I'm a spiritual person organized religion does just what it is designed to do mind control. If the sun falls out of the sky some religious expert will find a passage in the bible that predicts it

Old 10-30-2017, 02:14 PM

2,520 posts, read 2,719,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
That implies your soul or spirit is not the same as you. If that's what you mean, what else is there? If your soul is a witness or helper to "you", what is that you if it's neither your spiritual part, your physical part, or both of them together?
I don't know. We are born and then raised by our parents to learn good and bad. Our brain does the reasoning and decision making. I just wonder how much the soul is involved or is supposed to be involved. Maybe God wants up to make our own decisions on whether we will be a good person or bad person. I would like to think that the soul guides us to a certain extent but sometimes I think it is just there as a witness.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellamae jackson View Post
Peace its me again you have the patience of a saint. I studied the history of religion for over 35yrs.
So have I, including graduate study in theology as a seminary student as well as a lot of study on my own reading church history and the church Fathers as well as comparative studies of religions other than Christianity back when I was trying to decide what I believed.

Quote:
If you do any research you will find that many references to reincarnation in the bible were removed by the popes and religious scholars to control people and keep them docile.
Give me a list of passages in the Bible that were redacted to remove references to reincarnation. There weren't any (and if they were supposedly removed, where's your proof these passages ever existed?). You can't be referring to the Old Testament, since there were plenty copies of the books in it extant outside the Church in Constantinople (where Ss. Constantine and Helen supposedly removed the references). And in the first centuries, there were plenty of copies of the New Testament's books floating around - you didn't have printing presses and individual churches would have varying collections of books, and no canonical "Bible" that was distributed to congregations. How did someone gather up all these documents and redact them, and why is there no historical record of this happening?

Origen who is often cited by those who want to superimpose a belief in reincarnation on the early Church did believe in the pre-existence of the soul, but by his own words did *not* believe in reincarnation - he wrote "the dogma of transmigration, which is foreign to the Church of God [was] not handed down by the Apostles, nor anywhere set forth in the Scriptures." He was not in any case declared anathema post mortem for a belief in reincarnation, but for his beliefs surrounding universal salvation. And as I recall not all of his writings were condemned - only those that were heretical.

The popular notion that early Christians believed in reincarnation but this was somehow suppressed appears to go back to the Theosophists, and later to the past life regression non-sense in "Many Lives, Many Masters". And MLMM is bogus because past life regression is the product of suggestion and the lability of memory. See, e.g.:

https://probe.org/was-reincarnation-ever-in-the-bible/

And also this on hypnosis and false memories:

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/10/us...-memories.html

Old 10-30-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I don't know. We are born and then raised by our parents to learn good and bad. Our brain does the reasoning and decision making. I just wonder how much the soul is involved or is supposed to be involved. Maybe God wants up to make our own decisions on whether we will be a good person or bad person. I would like to think that the soul guides us to a certain extent but sometimes I think it is just there as a witness.
I think the point of the myth of the Tree in the Garden of Eden is that we are indeed free to choose. Point being, God wants us to come to Him because we want to, not because He's ordered it. So yeah, we're supposed to make our own decisions - and the universe can do terrible things to us because in a sense it has free will, too, to do its worst.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:47 PM

16 posts, read 15,249 times
I am a firm believer that our irrational phobias stem from experiences of previous lives. For example, when I was 2 I almost drowned, so my fear of deep water is completely rational. My fear of fire is not. I also believe that we travel with circles of people, and that if you meet someone you have an instant connection with, you knew them in a previous life. But hey, that's just me.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellie Hardy View Post
For example, when I was 2 I almost drowned, so my fear of deep water is completely rational. My fear of fire is not.
Fear of fire is an instinct - and one we share with other animals. We also seem to have an instinctual fear of snakes, a fear we share with other primates. Go to youtube and search for "animals fleeing forest fire". Reason and reincarnation have nothing to do with it.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:44 AM

50 posts, read 37,314 times
I believe in reincarnation.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:04 PM

919 posts, read 604,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, Jains, neo-gnostics, members of certain tribal religions, Theosophists and their New Age offspring (like the Unity Church) are mostly going to say yes. Members of the Judeo-Christian traditions plus Zoroastrians, and other religions like Shinto are mostly going to say no.

Since you ask, I'm one of those closed-minded Eastern Orthodox Christian types. No, there's no such thing as reincarnation.
Reincarnation is a basic principle of Judaism (although the Jewish concept is a little different than mainstream)
The Rabbi known as Jesus, was a Jew who belonged to the Essenes. Reincarnation is also a basic principle of Essene belief.

Reincarnation was a basic tenet of Christian doctrine until it was declared anathema by the churches supreme authority, the immoral Emperor Justinian (His wife, who was a former prostitute to the rich, wanted him deified when he died)

According to Quora "The fact is that Zoroastrianism teaches a unique form of reincarnation very similar to the ancient Germanic tribes & different from the typical Eastern types."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal