Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 11:42 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,903,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
All the cougars/pumas/mountain lions in North and South America are the same species and there has never in history been a confirmed case of a black one. The animal in this video is in a shaded area most of the time but when the sunlight hits him directly he is a dark tan like the typical mountain lion.
Yeah, I see what you mean - that could be the case. I think saltine has a good point: the cat seems completely unconcerned that there are humans nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 09:06 PM

6,924 posts, read 11,181,214 times
Quote:
All the cougars/pumas/mountain lions in North and South America are the same species and there has never in history been a confirmed case of a black one. The animal in this video is in a shaded area most of the time but when the sunlight hits him directly he is a dark tan like the typical mountain lion.
This. There has never been a confirmed report of a melanized mountain lion, and when the animal comes into the light at the end of the footage, it looks dark tan.

So neat though. I am convinced these guys live in my neck of the woods in Western Maryland too, but it is a kind of an "open secret."

Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,775,922 times
Panther sightings are extremely rare but nothing new and certainly nothing unexplained or mysterious. There is a small population in the mid-south and south.

The MS forum is way ahead of you (note the original thread was started in 2011):

Panther sigthings in Mississippi

Sorry guys - no monster and no mystery.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:12 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,310,670 times
Not a monster cat, just a cougar. You would be surprised how big house cats look from far away, and so a cougar would look bigger as well.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Panther sightings are extremely rare but nothing new and certainly nothing unexplained or mysterious. There is a small population in the mid-south and south.

The MS forum is way ahead of you (note the original thread was started in 2011):

Panther sigthings in Mississippi

Sorry guys - no monster and no mystery.
I wasn't claiming it was a monster or a mystery - and I don't think anyone else was either. It's of interest because the Florida panther is thought to be restricted to the southern tip of FL with occasional excursions north:

Quote:
Now, the breeding population of Florida panthers is found only in the southern tip of Florida, south of the Caloosahatchee River. In recent years, young male panthers have traveled north into central and northeast Florida, and one even dispersed to west-central Georgia near the Alabama border.
Source

When I lived in Charlottesville VA in the 1970s all the locals believed panthers were still to be found in the Blue Ridge mountains, and would claim they had heard their calls -- in spite of biologists saying they were extinct north of Florida. These are people whose families had been roaming the woods for two centuries or more. There is a Panther Falls along the Blue Ridge Parkway which testifies to the past presence of panthers (or "painters") along the southern Appalachians (and elsewhere in the country).

This kind of report and the folklore surrounding the continued existence of panthers outside their supposed range should I thought be of interest to those interested in cryptozoology -- but hey, that's just me. My apologies for posting something that isn't about ancient aliens, bigfoot, tarot, or ghosts.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:44 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,002,838 times
Why are people assuming it is a Florida panther? Western cougars have been expanding their range eastward for years, with many verified sightings as far east as this one.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:03 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,775,922 times
Quote:
Why are people assuming it is a Florida panther? Western cougars have been expanding their range eastward for years, with many verified sightings as far east as this one.
The Florida Panther is unique to south florida. These terms are pretty much interchangeable at least in common usage - mountain lion, panther, puma, cougar. I guess the proper term is Eastern Cougar.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The Florida Panther is unique to south florida. These terms are pretty much interchangeable at least in common usage - mountain lion, panther, puma, cougar. I guess the proper term is Eastern Cougar.
From what I've read, I think the Florida Panther and Eastern Cougar are subspecies. I've heard reports from here in the Midwest of cougar sightings (presumably the western variety) - this article says they're coming back and could establish breeding populations in the Midwest in the next 25 years:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...est-180957263/

It says "tracking the wily creatures is far from easy" -- apparently they haven't met the cougar in the video.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:10 PM

17,265 posts, read 11,114,522 times
Quote:
Agreed. Many states east of the Mississippi have sightings of cougars even in New England. They are making a slow comeback. Government agencies in many cases refuse to acknowledge their existence. There is more than enough wildlife for them to live long happy lives without being a threat to people at this point.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,443,956 times
Quote:
I remember this girl I was dating when i was in my late teens, her uncles family had a mobile home way out in the sticks in Demossville, KY, we went there once for some kind of family get together and they talked about all the wild life they saw out there, black mountain lion was one they saw from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal