Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 12:15 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,321 times

Advertisements

Black panthers are like UFO's. Some privileged people see them repeatedly, while scientists who would love to be the one to prove their existence can't come up with even a credible reported sighting of one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 01:04 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
More information on puma color variations and mutations in the Americas, and sightings of supposed black cougars in the U.S.:

MUTANT PUMAS

Old 10-20-2017, 01:58 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
More information on puma color variations and mutations in the Americas, and sightings of supposed black cougars in the U.S.:

MUTANT PUMAS
That's very interesting. If cougars do have the black gene, it will probably reappear sooner or later but so far it hasn't been proven. I think people back in the day and even now that claim to have seen a black cougar or mountain lion and call it a black panther are probably seeing a darker gray color which really isn't black but I guess it's dark enough to continue the mystery and folklore.

To avoid any confusion, this is what I think of when someone says "black panther". This picture show a black jaguar. It's truly black, not a darker shade of gray or dark brown with a white underside.

Last edited by marino760; 10-20-2017 at 03:19 PM..

Old 10-20-2017, 02:31 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
It just looks like a large house cat to me.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:53 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
They can get a relatively clear video of a "mystery cat" but not Bigfoot?
Okay, that literally made me laugh out loud! Thanks for that! That is a good point about not being able to get anything but an extremely blurry video (if that good) of Bigfoot, especially with almost everyone having a smart phone with a pretty decent camera nowadays.

As for the cat, I couldn't begin to identify it - it does look bigger than a bobcat and the build is wrong. I'm going to guess a dark gray cougar (if that's possible) but I'm no biologist.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:55 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,704 times
Okay, so black panthers actually don't exist? How about that... I honestly didn't know that.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:04 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
Okay, so black panthers actually don't exist? How about that... I honestly didn't know that.
Actually, there's no *scientific* evidence that there are black specimens of the North America cougar and its subspecies - but plenty of stories about sightings. Which isn't enough for a mammalogist to say yep, black cougars exist.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
"Panther" is a relative term and not specific to any cat. Some people consider leopards, cougars and jaguars panthers. If that's the case then there are black panthers because leopards and jaguars come in black but they are not common. Cougars / mountain lions, as we've discussed have never been documented as existing in black which is what the video and the conversation has been about.
So technically, there is such a thing as a black panther, but not a black cougar. Neither the leopard nor jaguar could be what people are looking at unless it was kept as an exotic pet and escaped.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:37 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
You would think that if someone ran over a black panther (or jaguar) and waited for DNR to come look at it, they would take a pic of this big cat. But maybe that's just me...

For all the claims of black panthers (or jaguars), you might think that there would be pics somewhere, but there never are. And no prints, either.

I have a neighbor who claims to have seen one. Somehow it avoided his game cam, but jumped the fence right at their yard. Okay.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:36 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
This kind of report and the folklore surrounding the continued existence of panthers outside their supposed range should I thought be of interest to those interested in cryptozoology -- but hey, that's just me. My apologies for posting something that isn't about ancient aliens, bigfoot, tarot, or ghosts.
Hey, you won’t get any complaints from me! Especially after all my rambling on & on about a big bird ... And I believe my very first post ever here on CD was about a Leprechaun, here in “Unexplained “.

I am intrigued by stories of these animals that could be defying not just “science” but man’s belief that we have dominated nature & the wild. And it gives me hope, that maybe we don’t have the power to ruin our environment & ecosystems.

It’s like these sightings are Nature’s way of saying “Silly humans, don’t you know who I am?” If that’s not “mysterious” I don’t know what is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal