Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 06:53 PM

463 posts, read 559,322 times

Advertisements

Big thanks to the Spelling and Proper Word Usage Brigade for making this thread largely about my misuse of the word "brakes." I figured we were going to discuss the topic at hand but this forum has the worlds finest nitpickers on standby to point out every little grammatical mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 09:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go-getta-J View Post
Big thanks to the Spelling and Proper Word Usage Brigade for making this thread largely about my misuse of the word "brakes." I figured we were going to discuss the topic at hand but this forum has the worlds finest nitpickers on standby to point out every little grammatical mistake.
The brigade continues to stomp-out illiteracy one post at a time. To give a break on the use of "break" for "brake" would put the brakes on breaking the "break" for "brake" confusion.

I think you subconsciously knew the brakes were getting worse, so you had a dream of them failing, which they ultimately did.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:32 AM

37,090 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
The brigade continues to stomp-out illiteracy one post at a time. To give a break on the use of "break" for "brake" would put the brakes on breaking the "break" for "brake" confusion.

I think you subconsciously knew the brakes were getting worse, so you had a dream of them failing, which they ultimately did.
OK, guys, break it up and put the brakes on the bickering.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:39 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,122 times
Quote:
Been there-- one oddity about cd as enriching and informative as it can be, is that there are some who will reply to a thread only to correct spelling or grammar, completely ignoring the question in the thread.
Unnecessary overkill- if one person already has felt the need to correct the spelling, there isn't any productive reason for half a dozen more people to jump in only for the purpose of repeating the spelling mistake.

Anyways fwiw, last spring I had a vivid and disturbing dream one night, in which I was in my car driving up the hill towards my home about 10 pm when I lost control of my car and heard the horrible sound of glass breaking and metal twisting and I woke up. I was a little worried about driving up that hill after that dream. The next night I was driving home up that hill about 10:30 pm and saw a section of the road sectioned off by police, with a mangled car and ambulance. Found out soon after a teenage boy was killed that night driving up the same hill that my nightmare about a car accident was.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:58 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
OK, guys, break it up and put the brakes on the bickering...
Yeah... ooooookay...

Old 10-23-2017, 04:48 AM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
We can still discuss that.

I have had many prophetic dreams. I believe yours was one.

Dreaming about future events that come to pass, is actually quite common among intuitive people.
It happens to me regularly, but usually about less serious events. I will dream about a person who I haven't spoken to in years, and they will call, for example.

Sometimes I'll dream about a place, and I will hear about it the next day.

Once in a while I've dreamed of someone, and I will find out that they have passed.

I'd begin keeping a dream journal.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:38 AM

17,253 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Difference between brakes failing and hydroplaning. Hydroplaning usually implies the brakes locked up and you are sliding on a wet surface, cause you don't know how to control the vehicle and pump the brakes or allow the ABS to do the job for you.
Brakes may or may not be involved at all.

The term hydroplaning is commonly used to refer to the skidding or sliding of a cars tires across a wet surface. Hydroplaning occurs when a tire encounters more water than it can scatter. Water pressure in the front of the wheel pushes water under the tire, and the tire is then separated from the road surface by a thin film of water and loses traction. The result is loss of steering, braking and power control.

Rubber tires have tread (grooves) that are designed to channel water from beneath the tire. This creates higher friction with the road surface and can help prevent or minimize instances of hydroplaning.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:49 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,745,177 times
I believe you dreamed about it as a "premonition." It was something you knew was going to happen. Just like the guy who dreamed the airliner was going to crash. He dreamt it 7 nights in a row. He actually called the airlines. He was hoping they could help him, preventing it in some way. They actually asked him to describe the plane.

Sadly the plane did crash and he stopped dreaming about it.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:39 AM

995 posts, read 509,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We can still discuss that.

I have had many prophetic dreams. I believe yours was one.

Dreaming about future events that come to pass, is actually quite common among intuitive people.
It happens to me regularly, but usually about less serious events. I will dream about a person who I haven't spoken to in years, and they will call, for example.

Sometimes I'll dream about a place, and I will hear about it the next day.

Once in a while I've dreamed of someone, and I will find out that they have passed.

I'd begin keeping a dream journal.
That's me - lots of prophetic dreams.

Another odd thing about my dreams is that I have effortless conversations with people despite me being profoundly hard-of-hearing in real life. It's so nice to able able to talk to people without having to ask them to repeat themselves every 5 seconds.

Is this common among disabled people? Like wheelchair users having dreams of running, etc?

Old 10-24-2017, 10:45 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,156,553 times
Brakes do not fail catastrophically and instantly.

It is more likely that you have been hearing or feeling some problem with the brakes for the past weeks or months as most early warning are easily heard or felt through the pedal and motion of the car - and you had been ignoring those sensory warnings.

When you went to sleep your sub-conscience started working on the problem and produced a dream that said "Fix the brakes!"

Any accident where you rear end someone is chalked up to either following too close for conditions or not paying attention - or both.

There is nothing "mystical" happening here.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 10-24-2017 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal