Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 03:24 PM

437 posts, read 433,036 times

Advertisements

Saw the show, TheShadow, and for the first time, my husband, who watched it with me, entertained the idea that Sasquatch does possibly exist. Nothing absolutely (dead body, or live capture) conclusive, but all that the show did demonstrate piqued his willingness enough to consider it possible. THAT was a milestone in our household! LOL! So I consider the program a score, for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 03:30 PM

437 posts, read 433,036 times
Re: DNA, DNA can only be "confirmed" if they have a DNA sample on-file to compare the markers to, and thus far there supposedly is no such "sasquatch" file to compare to, or at least none being admitted to. Every time they examine sasquatch DNA in these shows they come up with "unidentified".

Old 11-01-2017, 07:46 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,898,290 times
I watched it quite a while back -- it was a rerun of a show from a few years ago, I think -- as I recall, the conclusion seemed to be: probably some kind of bear. There was a video I hadn't seen before and a few eye witness reports, but nothing earth shattering.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:33 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,617,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolochs View Post
Re: DNA, DNA can only be "confirmed" if they have a DNA sample on-file to compare the markers to, and thus far there supposedly is no such "sasquatch" file to compare to, or at least none being admitted to. Every time they examine sasquatch DNA in these shows they come up with "unidentified".
From the National Geographic website, it looks like this might have originally aired in 2014.

This wasn't some goofy chasing Sasquatch show. It was a three episode show about a well-known Oxford geneticist who did DNA testing of hair and tissue samples of alleged Bigfoot, Yeti, and Almasty, and compared them to the DNA of known species, living or extinct. Developments in DNA sequencing and computer analysis allow a much more in depth study of the DNA of very small amounts of hair and the many thousands of comparisons that must be done to find a match. If any of you had seen the show you would see that the second episode, which investigated the North American samples of alleged BF hair obtained from the Pacific Northwest, were all proven to be from other animals...horse, cow, raccoon, bear, porcupine, etc. The BF believers in North America were all very depressed about those results.

The first episode was about the Yeti of the Himalaya, and the findings were very surprising. Not only was one sample found to be not from any living species of animal, but it WAS from an animal that was the believed to be a long extinct species that gave rise to both the brown (AKA grizzly) bear and the polar bear. This species was the common ancestor of these two bears before they split into two distinct populations. How it's fur was found in the Himalayas within this century is unknown since all fossils of the species are from 40,000 years ago. The DNA for comparison to this species came from that of brown bears, and polar bears.

The last episode was about the Russian version called Almasty. This was pretty much left unsolved except for the very interesting riddle of the so called "Wild Woman", Zana, found in this former Russian territory in the 1800's. She was captured, beaten, and apparently raped by her captors who held her for many years. Her descendants, are the product of her four pregnancies from these rapes. Many believed that she might have been the last remnant of a Neanderthal, or a Neanderthal / human cross. The DNA of her son (exhumed from his grave) and that of living descendants was analyzed and found to contain DNA, not from Neanderthals, but from sub-Saharan African humans that would have put her into the group that migrated from southern Africa thousands of years ago. This homo sapien DNA puts her 100% into a sub-group of humans that were previously believed to not have existed for many thousands of years.

It's worth a look if you can find it and if you have any real interest in actual analysis of evidence about such things, and not sensationalist stories, or woo-woo stuff.

Last edited by TheShadow; 11-02-2017 at 11:11 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 07:01 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,555,196 times
Default Hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt grinder View Post
everyone is cashing-in on the bigfoot frenzy, and they all rely on the same lack of evidence.
"listen, there's something over there."
"here's a sample of what we were told is bigfoot hair."
"there are just too many witnesses for it to be a hoax."
"i wuz own mah back porch when a dark, hairy figure came outta them woods. I knowed it wuz a bigfoot cuz it was too tawl ta be a mayun."
lolllll!!

Old 11-04-2017, 12:37 PM

5,619 posts, read 5,758,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I watched it quite a while back -- it was a rerun of a show from a few years ago, I think -- as I recall, the conclusion seemed to be: probably some kind of bear. There was a video I hadn't seen before and a few eye witness reports, but nothing earth shattering.
I do believe you are correct. 2 were bear, one, the Yeti one was undetermined.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:22 PM

19,642 posts, read 9,965,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
From the National Geographic website, it looks like this might have originally aired in 2014.

This wasn't some goofy chasing Sasquatch show. It was a three episode show about a well-known Oxford geneticist who did DNA testing of hair and tissue samples of alleged Bigfoot, Yeti, and Almasty, and compared them to the DNA of known species, living or extinct. Developments in DNA sequencing and computer analysis allow a much more in depth study of the DNA of very small amounts of hair and the many thousands of comparisons that must be done to find a match. If any of you had seen the show you would see that the second episode, which investigated the North American samples of alleged BF hair obtained from the Pacific Northwest, were all proven to be from other animals...horse, cow, raccoon, bear, porcupine, etc. The BF believers in North America were all very depressed about those results.

The first episode was about the Yeti of the Himalaya, and the findings were very surprising. Not only was one sample found to be not from any living species of animal, but it WAS from an animal that was the believed to be a long extinct species that gave rise to both the brown (AKA grizzly) bear and the polar bear. This species was the common ancestor of these two bears before they split into two distinct populations. How it's fur was found in the Himalayas within this century is unknown since all fossils of the species are from 40,000 years ago. The DNA for comparison to this species came from that of brown bears, and polar bears.

The last episode was about the Russian version called Almasty. This was pretty much left unsolved except for the very interesting riddle of the so called "Wild Woman", Zana, found in this former Russian territory in the 1800's. She was captured, beaten, and apparently raped by her captors who held her for many years. Her descendants, are the product of her four pregnancies from these rapes. Many believed that she might have been the last remnant of a Neanderthal, or a Neanderthal / human cross. The DNA of her son (exhumed from his grave) and that of living descendants was analyzed and found to contain DNA, not from Neanderthals, but from sub-Saharan African humans that would have put her into the group that migrated from southern Africa thousands of years ago. This homo sapien DNA puts her 100% into a sub-group of humans that were previously believed to not have existed for many thousands of years.

It's worth a look if you can find it and if you have any real interest in actual analysis of evidence about such things, and not sensationalist stories, or woo-woo stuff.
Looked up Zana. DNA proved that she was 100% human and African according to the expert who tested it.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:18 PM

24,341 posts, read 22,895,035 times
That could be a decent scam, get access to ape fur in a major city zoo and then claim you see a bigfoot and had a tuft of fur it left on a tree. There was just a Coast To Coast AM show that had a guest talking about dog men and bigfoot. She thought bigfoot were extra dimensional beings. I guess that's possible, some think we have reptilian shapsehifters that are extra dimensional. But they supposedly have risen to control our highest levels of government and business and the bigfoot run around in the forest..... Where did they go wrong?
IF Bigfoot exists and I enjoy reading stories about them even if 90+% are obviously faked, I believe they are the offspring of the Nephilim, the giants of the bible, the union of man and fallen angels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal