Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 03:42 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,721,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
Sometimes (about 2-4 times a week) I smell a smokey scent in my space. I'm usually in the home office or my bedroom and usually alone. I try to pin down the scent and it's never in any objects near me. Just kind of lingering in the air. I've checked outside my windows and doors and nothing. The smell is always just in my space. There have been a few times when someone is home with me and I will call them into the room and see if they smell it and they never do.

It has been occurring pretty regularly, but I can't pin down any specific patterns. My family is somewhat superstitious and I totally am not. But it's been occurring so frequently that I thought I would ask what you all think on this forum.

If I had to describe it, it feels and smells like someone is smoking a pleasant-smelling cigarette or cigar right to the left or in front of me.
See your physician. Phantom odors can indicate nasal polyps, or possibly a brain tumor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 04:01 PM

17,351 posts, read 13,084,517 times
Sounds like a sinus infection to me

Old 11-15-2017, 05:30 PM

450 posts, read 589,982 times
Maybe there is a fire smoldering deep within your walls. You never know. You should try staying awake to be sure. I don't think I'd be able to sleep with something like thst going on.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:15 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,463,820 times
Sounds like The story of the old woman who went to the clinic for a strange smell she experienced that, "can't be gas because I don't hear anything!" Doctor said, "Take these gas ex pills, and the secretary will make an appointment for you with our audiologist."

Old 11-15-2017, 11:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,145,769 times
I "smell" smoke now and then, very faintly, and I have NO sense of smell. (One olfactory nerve was necessarily cut during a craniotomy, the other was apparently damaged beyond use by the huge tumor that necessitated the craniotomy.) Sometimes I "smell" a skunk, coffee, or some other distinctive smell. It's my brain remembering a smell from the good ol' days.

For well more than a year after my brain surgery, 28 years ago, I constantly smelled a strong petroleum/chemical odor. I tried to describe the smell to several doctors, nurses, etc., but nobody had an explanation for it. It's hard to describe a smell. At times I thought it was going to drive me insane, that horrible, strong odor. Finally, after a few years, I realized what it was -- the general anesthetic used to put me under before the craniotomy, the last thing I smelled before my remaining olfactory nerve was sliced. I still smell it at times, but it's never strong and never lasts long.

I'd suspect your smell of smoke could be something similar. We don't fully understand all the things our brains do, but that anesthetic smell I fought for years seemed very real. Of course it was my brain playing tricks on me. Other odors I encounter are the same thing.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:30 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,965,127 times
Okay this is going to sound crazy but did any of your relative pass away some time ago and they smoked cigarettes ? the reason I say this is because my dad swore before he died he smelled smoke and no one would be smoking in his vicinity at all . I think sometimes our relatives spirits come back and you can smell them . Say cigarettes , certain perfumes . I don't laugh at all when people tell me this . Just a thought , but I do hope there is not a cause in your home such as bad wiring or something else to end up hurting you or your loved ones or your home .

Old 11-16-2017, 06:34 AM

6,615 posts, read 6,491,757 times
Do you have troubles with your sinuses? I used to smell smoke and it ended up that I had a sinus infection on one side. Just a thought...

Old 11-16-2017, 07:11 AM

649 posts, read 809,446 times
I am an ex-smoker and I routinely smell cigarette smoke in my house that my HVAC sucks in from somewhere outside. We only have one smoker on my entire street but when I stick my head out the outside air does not smell of cigarette smoke at all. It is weird and never happened elsewhere I lived. I have also multiple times been woken from a sound sleep by the smell of something burning in my home only to find nothing. One time it was clearly toast burning and other times wood smoke.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:17 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,168,742 times
I had the thought this morning that you might need to clean your furnace duct work.Or too save money just tape it off for awhile.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:46 AM

13,636 posts, read 12,269,500 times
How old is the dwelling? I would periodically get a whiff of smoke smell and could never pin it down til I was reaching for something and found evidence of a small fire, long long ago; it was a cabinet and I assume a kitchen fire. It could be something like that.

It also could be a neighbor smoking a cigar and just a whiff permeates the window or HVAC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal