Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2017, 06:37 PM

23,869 posts, read 32,134,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
Sometimes (about 2-4 times a week) I smell a smokey scent in my space. I'm usually in the home office or my bedroom and usually alone. I try to pin down the scent and it's never in any objects near me. Just kind of lingering in the air. I've checked outside my windows and doors and nothing. The smell is always just in my space. There have been a few times when someone is home with me and I will call them into the room and see if they smell it and they never do.

It has been occurring pretty regularly, but I can't pin down any specific patterns. My family is somewhat superstitious and I totally am not. But it's been occurring so frequently that I thought I would ask what you all think on this forum.

If I had to describe it, it feels and smells like someone is smoking a pleasant-smelling cigarette or cigar right to the left or in front of me.

I have. And I do not think you are crazy.

First, I want to say one thing - this is still a paranormal forum, right? There seem to be so many people who are not receptive to the idea of .....the paranormal here.
Several years ago, a few of us got together to ask for a forum where we could discuss this topic free of ridicule and tired jokes.

When most people post here, it is AFTER they have exhausted the usual natural explanations. This is a last resort. When I experienced the constant lights, turning on and off in my laundry room, my first thought was not "Oh, it must be a ghost"". We checked the circuit breaker. Changed types of light bulbs. We did the things normal people do.

Next, we called the first electrification. One of several. We consulted an electrical engineer. No one could find anything wrong.

Back to the smoking smells. When several people smell something acrid, and it smells like cigarettes, in a room of a house where no one smokes, there is more of a possibility of the paranormal, than there is a mass epidemic of brain tumors among your family and friends.

I currently live in a house that is, for the most part,quiet, and devoid of activity.

However, there have been a few paranormal incidents here. One of them is the smell of cigarette smoke in my living room. Only the living room. And not by one person, by many. And by visitors.

Cigarette smoke, and pipe smoke and cigar smoke do not smell like electrical fires. Nor do they smell like anything else. They are distinct.

Most adults know the smell.

In your case, I am inclined to think, that having checked natural explanations, that this event is outside of scientific explanation.

It could be a deceased loved one. Or, as in my case, it could be a residual haunting of sorts.

In my case, it is confined to one room, and has been smelled this, who are not all suffering from brain tumors.

That would be laughable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,039,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Take everything out of the room and try that for a few days. Could be just a hot mother board etc.

I’ve thought about that as I have experienced this over the past couple years. Occasionally. The smell, for me, is almost like singed hair. It typically lasts several seconds.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:35 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,271,554 times
Agree w the above. I do appreciate the concern, but I found myself checking several times that I'd posted in the right forum ... lol.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:31 AM

10,818 posts, read 7,191,344 times
I think the issue here is that the "Active threads from around the forum" shows thread titles from all the forums, so people who are not into the paranormal--or fashion, or Sacramento, or aircraft--may read and reply to threads from those forums.

If you want a private forum, you might have to take it somewhere other than City-Data.

I'm not trying to be mean, just saying that's how C-D is set up.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:47 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

First, I want to say one thing - this is still a paranormal forum, right? There seem to be so many people who are not receptive to the idea of .....the paranormal here.
Several years ago, a few of us got together to ask for a forum where we could discuss this topic free of ridicule and tired jokes.

When most people post here, it is AFTER they have exhausted the usual natural explanations. This is a last resort. When I experienced the constant lights, turning on and off in my laundry room, my first thought was not "Oh, it must be a ghost"". We checked the circuit breaker. Changed types of light bulbs. We did the things normal people do.

Next, we called the first electrification. One of several. We consulted an electrical engineer. No one could find anything wrong.

Back to the smoking smells. When several people smell something acrid, and it smells like cigarettes, in a room of a house where no one smokes, there is more of a possibility of the paranormal, than there is a mass epidemic of brain tumors among your family and friends.

I currently live in a house that is, for the most part,quiet, and devoid of activity.

However, there have been a few paranormal incidents here. One of them is the smell of cigarette smoke in my living room. Only the living room. And not by one person, by many. And by visitors.

Cigarette smoke, and pipe smoke and cigar smoke do not smell like electrical fires. Nor do they smell like anything else. They are distinct.

Most adults know the smell.

In your case, I am inclined to think, that having checked natural explanations, that this event is outside of scientific explanation.

It could be a deceased loved one. Or, as in my case, it could be a residual haunting of sorts.

In my case, it is confined to one room, and has been smelled this, who are not all suffering from brain tumors.

That would be laughable.

I agree with you and I know I don't have a brain tumor and I have smelled cigarettes and no one here smokes at all and I know I have seen visions of my late fiancé and I know he is checking on me to see if I am okay .For those who don't believe then why are you here on this forum ? it is the paranormal forum and when dealing with the other realm it is called paranormal .

Old 11-17-2017, 07:18 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,159,425 times
Ahh quit your whining. Try posting about Bigfoot and see how it goes. I have been through the same and that is why i won't even comment on a BF post let alone even start a thread about BF.This is just how city data does it.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:03 AM

22,836 posts, read 28,056,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Ahh quit your whining. Try posting about Bigfoot and see how it goes. I have been through the same and that is why i won't even comment on a BF post let alone even start a thread about BF.This is just how city data does it.
Stay on topic. Have you ever smelled a Bigfoot when there was not one around?

Old 11-17-2017, 09:10 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,159,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Stay on topic. Have you ever smelled a Bigfoot when there was not one around?
I am proven right again.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:55 AM

21,449 posts, read 12,568,166 times
How old are you? If late teens/early 20s, possibly schizophrenia (oflactory hallucinations). Otherwise, ghosts.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:56 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,896,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Most people in this thread have been providing non-paranormal explanations because the OP was looking for explanations, not confirmation that he/she was being haunted. The OP has been treated respectfully by most and has been grateful for our input.

Quote:
When most people post here, it is AFTER they have exhausted the usual natural explanations. This is a last resort. ... When several people smell something acrid, and it smells like cigarettes, in a room of a house where no one smokes, there is more of a possibility of the paranormal, than there is a mass epidemic of brain tumors among your family and friends.
That isn't the case with the OP (winterbird says other people don't get the smell), and brain tumor was presented as only one of many possible explanations. The Wikipedia article I linked on phantosmia says the following:

Quote:
Olfactory hallucinations can be caused by common medical conditions such as nasal infections, nasal polyps, or dental problems. It can result from neurological conditions such as migraines, head injuries, strokes, Parkinson's disease, seizures, or brain tumors. It can also be a symptom of certain mental disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, intoxication or withdrawal from drugs and alcohol, or psychotic disorders. Environmental exposures are sometimes the cause as well, such as smoking, exposure to certain types of chemicals (e.g., insecticides or solvents), or radiation treatment for head or neck cancer.
There are many physical explanations for phantom smells beyond "brain tumors". Being sensible about possible physical explanations is not being "unreceptive" to "the idea of ....the paranormal". The OP says he/she has a history of migraines and although the doctor hasn't found anything, doctors miss things and are sometimes wrong in their diagnoses - particularly GPs, who do not have in-depth training on all possible disorders. I would be looking for a second opinion from a doctor who specializes in treating migraines or a neurologist -- but that's me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal