Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 04:09 PM

23 posts, read 21,264 times

Advertisements

My mother was a 2 pack a day smoker, even while suffering for COPD and on oxygen...lol. God I miss that crazy lady. I have had a few occasions of strong cigarette odor in my smoke free home, when I am alone, usually just relaxing on the couch or such. It catches me off guard when it happens. I don't know if its my mom or not but its comforting to think it could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,585 times
My house was built in mid 1700's and it was the home of a couple of blacksmiths. I frequently smell cigarette smoke at night when all windows are closed. We live on a country road and no close neighbors. My collie will bark late at night. When I check on him, he sometimes wants to go out, but usually will settle when I tell him to go to bed. My husband never smells the smoke.
Many years ago I lived in a rented historical house built in 1768. The first 4 mornings there, I smelled coffee. My husband did not smell it. The smell would wake us in the morning, so no one had made coffee in our kitchen. After 4 days, I never smelled it again. Then my mom came to visit when our son was born. The first morning she was there, she got up early (my husband and I were still asleep) and told me that afternoon that she smelled the perked coffee. That house was also in the woods and it was winter, so no windows were open. After those incidents, we never smelled the coffee again. I said it was a welcoming ghost.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:42 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
This has happened to me twice recently. One morning I left my bedroom and went into the den and it smelled like smoke around the window unit ac area. I just assumed someone had been burning something outside and the wind blew the smell threw the vents. I went back into the bedroom and came back an hour later, the smell was gone.

A couple weeks ago, I smelled smoke in the living room. I looked around everything was okay. I shrugged it off and came back less than 30 minutes later and the smell was gone. Weird.

Maybe it was the spirit of my uncle. He used to smoke like crazy. LOL

Old 11-01-2018, 04:03 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
Yeah, check on all of the above. It is very strange. No one else smells it...ever. Even told the doctor about it. Doc is into the paranormal and told me that an ancestor was reaching out. So I've got two for possible paranormal activity and two for occam's razor.

Thanks for the responses guys.
Consult another doctor! If you smell something no one else does, you may have a sinus infection or some sort of ENT problem.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 857 times
Thirteen years ago me and my girlfriend smelled a distinct pipe/cigar smoke smell in her living room. We would smell it at the same time or when we were alone as individuals. Neither of us smoked and we were curious were the smell was coming from. We lived on an acre of land bordering 55 acres of woods and the windows were closed. We both found the smell somewhat pleasing and not offensive. Later that year we went through many life changing challenges that I will not detail. After over coming these challenges the smell stopped showing up as frequently. Now married we still get the "whiff" every once in a while and when we do, we know, someone is there to help and support us. No brain cancer, no hallucinations just acceptance of something we cannot explain.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:51 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Is your house an older home or do you have any older furniture in it? I've seen instances of this investigated and it turned out a previous homeowner was a smoker or used perfume, etc, and the odor of it absorbed into the wood in the walls, shelves, furniture, floors, etc., and would sometimes come out and be smellable again years and decades later when temperature/humidity conditions were right.
This is definitely a possibility, and one I was going to mention. Often we do not realise how much smoke gets into things, funiture, fabrics, carpets, etc. If you have ever decorated a house which has been lived in by a smoker, you will know that any white paint on the walls has turned off-white due to the smoke, so even paint can collect the smells in the room. Then when the conditions are right, the humidity and temperature is at that sweet spot, it will be (or can be) released again into the environment.

Having said that, it is said that those on the other side have to use whatever they can to get through to us and some people are more open to smells, or hearing voices or seeing things, or feeling things than others. If your 'thing' is smelling things, then that's what they'll use to get through to you.

My advice is to firstly make sure it is not a health issue, then check out the furniture, fabrics, sofas, etc in the rooms, then when you smell the next unexpected smell, to start talking in your head to whoever may be sending you these smells to remind you they are there.

We are like a giant receiving station, our brain is tuned to different frequencies and it is the brains job to translate the energy of the signal into sensations it can interpret as feelings, smells, sights, sounds, etc which we are familiar and comfortable in receiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal