Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 10:21 AM

27,534 posts, read 15,977,809 times

Advertisements

I came across this video. I didn’t realize it was a thing, happening wide spread. I’ve heard “booms” a few times over a few years. Vibrates the house. I ruled out earthquakes and thunder since nothing appears on live maps. I came to the conclusion it is daytime meteors. It’s the only logical explanation I could come up with. Your thoughts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=196s&v=QQeBcrGa6Qw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 04:17 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,434,299 times
Used to sonic booms would rattle the house almost every day. I thought they banned them, but I'd bet that's what it is.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:54 PM

73 posts, read 119,427 times
Grew up in Charleston SC....well, across the harbor in Mt Pleasant.... sometimes you just hear these booms....no one ever seems to have an explanation....but they'll rattle your windows and shake the whole house.....and throw the nerves out a bit!

Old 11-23-2017, 07:12 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,975,901 times
It's just people shooting exploding Tannerite targets. They do it all the time around here, and it's legal. Some guy blew off 20lbs of it last week, and people heard it for 10 miles around.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannerite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwi_HU5VrFo

Old 11-24-2017, 05:55 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,603,536 times
More news about the booms. An incident in Colorado was was resolved as an over-pressurized oil tank that blew off the lid. A report was filed by the oil and gas company. It's possible one or two locations might have been sonic booms from jets.

Small meteors from the Leonid meteor shower have also been suggested, but dismissed because most of those particles are too small and the size of a sand grain to a small pebble, and occur each year. Those are what are seen as shooting stars. Still, in my opinion, it's possible, unrelated to the Leonid meteor shower, a group of bolides large enough to create a boom passed through. Typically there's only one that might do that, not several, but there's no reason it couldn't have been a group of several. The sounds were reported from the East Coast to the West Coast. If they were larger bolides, they wouldn't likely drop in at once, and there'd be a trail across the country. Nothing said about that though. While reports of the booms came in from different areas around the US, what about the time each incident occurred? Were they first heard in the US on the East Coast and later elsewhere and to California? Apparently, booms were also heard in other places around the world. It'd be interesting to know if these booms are related or not.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/my...try/ar-BBFAVkL

https://nypost.com/2017/11/23/nobody...ard-worldwide/

Mysterious loud booms heard in 64 locations, NASA can

Old 11-26-2017, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 8,618 times
I used to hear them when vacationing in Surf City/Topsail Island NC. Also saw a lot of strange flashes of light that were not lightening.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:12 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,909,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathrine22 View Post
I used to hear them when vacationing in Surf City/Topsail Island NC. Also saw a lot of strange flashes of light that were not lightening.
This article suggests the East coast booms (Charleston and elsewhere) are earthquakes too shallow to be otherwise recorded.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/booms.php

There's a fault zone around Charleston - I think the only one on the East coat. I wonder if the flashes you saw might have been earthquake lights:

https://www.livescience.com/56869-wh...ke-lights.html

Old 11-28-2017, 11:49 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,068,042 times
Meteors, atmospheric plasma charges that combust somehow probably the culprits in some. Others may be military hardware testing or fighter jets. I think there are military bases close to some of the areas where the sounds are heard.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:18 AM

14,988 posts, read 23,790,633 times
Yeah, no mystery - sonic booms by military aircraft on test maneuvers using supersonic flight, which almost all modern military jets are capable of. We used to hear them in Central Florida from Cape Kennedy. Usually they do these off shore in designated test areas and based on the right atmospheric conditions you may be able to hear the boom on land. If you are inland it's also possible a pilot doing training goes "cowboy" and also goes supersonic in a quick burst, lots of military air bases around.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:07 AM

32,804 posts, read 36,064,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathrine22 View Post
There are a few military airfields in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal