Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 01:18 PM

370 posts, read 501,947 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have always been in awe of graveyards. I love history, the stone headings - and I try to go to different ones (the older the better) I decided to go this past week since I had it off to one that was very old. It was a beautiful day. There wasn't one person there in this enormous graveyard. I wandered around looking at the different graves (some of them very old and some not) I got around the corner and was standing there when I heard a woman talking..I turned around and no one there. It sounded like she was in a tunnel - faint but I can hear her...it wasn't scary but she was almost telling a story (younger woman - maybe in her 30's)

Now I do believe in ghost..and I stood there for about 40 seconds I realized what I was probably hearing..there are no houses around this HUGE graveyard and not a soul there. I then thought a woman was behind a monument as I took three steps to see.... her voice was gone. I walked back to where I was standing but the voice disappeared.

I knew right away what I heard..I knew it was a woman talking...I knew I heard was on the other side. I wasn't scared - more in awe. I couldn't understand what she was saying - but the minute I started to hear her talk I knew what it was but the logical side of me needed to verify my surroundings (no people, houses, radio..anything)

I continued on my walk looking but there was this relief because I realized when I die..I hope to continue on telling stories, laughing, and just talking...and YES..those ghost still love to talk

Merry Christmas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 02:01 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,863,718 times
I also love visiting cemeteries for their architecture and yes also the history.

It's amazing that you had this experience and certainly significant that this young woman from the other side wanted you to hear her

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-26-2017, 03:59 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,901,936 times
Only time I was creeped out in a graveyard was in an old abandoned one in the woods somewhere on Prince Edwards Island. It was nearing sunset and I was hiking through the woods, when I came across this graveyard. I took a couple of photos (links below) and started feeling like someone was watching me. Uneasy, I continued the hike and the feeling I was being followed continued until I got back to my car.

IMG_0222 by Vasily Ingogly, on Flickr

IMG_0221 by Vasily Ingogly, on Flickr

Old 12-27-2017, 04:02 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,308,426 times
Sometimes sounds can carry a long way, but then maybe it was a ghost. when I was a teenager 3 of us went to a cemetery and soon a car pulled up with soldiers in it, drinking. my friend walked down a roll of trees that separated her from the car, and she began moaning him, My mother, my mother. the guys heard her and began cussing. she came back and they started up their car and put on the spotlight. we ran under a pine tree whose branches came to the ground and then we flattened ourselves on the group. the spotlight went over the top of us. we stayed there until they left. I imagine that they now believe in ghosts.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:13 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,437,598 times
Id like to know where cemeteries being associated with ghosts originated from in the first place? Im guessing people assumed they were the 'spirits' of people who had passed on, but what led them to this assumption?

Even in biblical times, they knew what a ghost was, as they had a term for it, so it was common knowledge even back then.

I have a feeling ghosts may be something entirely different, and all our assumptions about them are not even remotely accurate. I think what they truly are is probably something we cannot comprehend, even if it was explained to us, it wouldnt make any sense.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:08 AM

1,666 posts, read 960,403 times
My wife and I loves going to cemeteries as well. We never had anything happen to us on our excursions though. But we've had experiences in other places.

I'll tell you about one of mine.

Several years ago, I went fishing at a place just out of town. Hiked past a small channel, was dry. Usually have water when the water is high. The place is pretty far from everything. Traffic, houses, yet it makes a point on the north end of the area. Very quiet location.

Way long ago before the town was incorporated, there were tribes of the Attakapas in the area and some places we're named after them. Like Mermentau and Nezpique. They've even made mounds, very small in area. People even found arrowheads along the banks of the bayou.

Well, like I said, I went fishing at the place. I started to hear a woman talking. I looked around and there were nobody around, other than me. No boats on the bayou either. You could either hear the motor or the bumping around and splashing with oars. The hairs started standing on end. As I listened more, I noticed that the language was primitive. Something I've never heard before.

Needless to say, I left. The fish wasn't biting and I couldn't concentrate on fishing.

There's other people here that have similar and other experiences in the area. Thinking about this, I'm anxious to actually go back and investigate further. I'll bring a recorder and see if I can pick something up...

Old 01-01-2018, 01:15 PM

3,454 posts, read 4,901,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieLand09 View Post

I continued on my walk looking but there was this relief because I realized when I die..I hope to continue on telling stories, laughing, and just talking...and YES..those ghost still love to talk
Does that really make you feel relieved? I hope that when I die, I would be at peace and enjoy the complete cessation of all thoughts and feelings, as opposed to entering some new realm where there's more social interaction and all that crap.

Our thoughts and emotions are the ultimate prison. There is no happiness without grief. There is no excitement without boredom. True "heaven" if it exists, would feature the complete absence of thoughts and feelings.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:52 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,901,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Id like to know where cemeteries being associated with ghosts originated from in the first place? Im guessing people assumed they were the 'spirits' of people who had passed on, but what led them to this assumption?
I know that the association of ghosts with places of burial goes back at least to the ancient Romans:

An Ancient Roman Ghost Story (ca. 61-115 AD) - Ancient History Blog

It would be interesting to see if there are even older stories of ghosts in graveyards in other traditions.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:55 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,710,538 times
I love old cemeteries, too, especially old overgrown ones. Very neatly tended newer cemeteries don't intrigue me.

I feel so strongly, when I'm in an older cemetery especially one that's quiet where it still looks the same as it did 75 years ago - you can't see any development or hear traffic noises - I can feel the love. I can stand there, at a grave that says "gone but not forgotten" and feel the family assembled there. "Here lies his mother's heart". I can feel it.

I don't know about the voice, but interesting experience.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:21 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,771,304 times
Textbook "Confirmation Bias". You hear a woman's voice in a graveyard. Must me from the dead. If you were on your outside sidewalk where would you think the sound came from?

Sound is a funny thing, given proper conditions in pressure and temperature, background noise, and physical obstructions, sound can travel for miles, a voice spoken at a normal level, or a TV, can be heard from thousands of feet away. I know - I'm a kill joy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal