Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 02:13 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the missing 411 is scary the people just vanish and nothing we know of is "taking" them no screams/struggle/crime scene....no scent trail for hound dogs..
The son of a friend of mine went hiking alone in the Pacific Northwest while on leave from the military. It was a warmup hike, and he was meeting friends for a much longer hike the next day. He never showed up. They found the car, but the kid was gone. They searched; the military got involved; they ended up having hundreds of volunteers combing the areas around the trail for him, and professional searchers in the air and on foot with plenty of high tech equipment. Two of his brothers flew out to Washington to help with the search.

He was a very experienced hiker, and very wilderness savvy. A hiker eventually spotted a backpack far below on a trail - none of the searchers had seen it. It was my friend's son; he had slipped and fallen hundreds of feet to his death. There was no mystery involved, no bigfoot, no run in with a mountain lion (which was one of the things we were concerned about), no UFO aliens - just a foot hitting a slippery rock in a dense and very wild area. We buried him a few weeks ago. People disappear in the wilderness because it's, well, wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 05:37 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The son of a friend of mine went hiking alone in the Pacific Northwest while on leave from the military. It was a warmup hike, and he was meeting friends for a much longer hike the next day. He never showed up. They found the car, but the kid was gone. They searched; the military got involved; they ended up having hundreds of volunteers combing the areas around the trail for him, and professional searchers in the air and on foot with plenty of high tech equipment. Two of his brothers flew out to Washington to help with the search.

He was a very experienced hiker, and very wilderness savvy. A hiker eventually spotted a backpack far below on a trail - none of the searchers had seen it. It was my friend's son; he had slipped and fallen hundreds of feet to his death. There was no mystery involved, no bigfoot, no run in with a mountain lion (which was one of the things we were concerned about), no UFO aliens - just a foot hitting a slippery rock in a dense and very wild area. We buried him a few weeks ago. People disappear in the wilderness because it's, well, wild.
I am sorry for your loss.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:21 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
You know, there are Native Americans who know about Bigfoot and they say he is another race of human being NOT an animal like a bear or monkey at all. I think there is so much wisdom in people who live closer to the Earth. We who live largely in cities have lost that connection with the Earth and with Nature. It may seem like it to us that people who live close to Nature are backward and unscientific but thats just our arrogant viewpoint. If we ever get a catastrophic event then who will be the ones who survive the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily
This is the heart of the reason why these discussions invariably turn south
No, they turn south because there are some who continually ask for proof and evidence where, what does exist, is not accepted. Then these same people continue to ask for more. I was asking why bother if it is not forthcoming? It just wastes your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily
We keep asking for evidence or proof on the offchance that one of these days, someone will produce absolutely convincing evidence that this unlikely animal actually exists.
How much do you want this evidence? Not much I guess. What have you done to find evidence of Bigfoot except keep asking on here and hoping to come across him on your trips camping in the forest?

I suspect there are some who merely like to think of themselves as logical thinkers and science-types who wont accept anything without proof as announced by science. Even then they often question it - even if a scientist who has worked for the government for years says it is so.

If you are so logical, then it is not logical to keep banging your head against a brick wall when it has no effect. That is what you are doing.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
You know, there are Native Americans who know about Bigfoot and they say he is another race of human being NOT an animal like a bear or monkey at all. I think there is so much wisdom in people who live closer to the Earth. We who live largely in cities have lost that connection with the Earth and with Nature. It may seem like it to us that people who live close to Nature are backward and unscientific but thats just our arrogant viewpoint. If we ever get a catastrophic event then who will be the ones who survive the best?

No, they turn south because there are some who continually ask for proof and evidence where, what does exist, is not accepted. Then these same people continue to ask for more. I was asking why bother if it is not forthcoming? It just wastes your time.

How much do you want this evidence? Not much I guess. What have you done to find evidence of Bigfoot except keep asking on here and hoping to come across him on your trips camping in the forest?

I suspect there are some who merely like to think of themselves as logical thinkers and science-types who wont accept anything without proof as announced by science. Even then they often question it - even if a scientist who has worked for the government for years says it is so.

If you are so logical, then it is not logical to keep banging your head against a brick wall when it has no effect. That is what you are doing.
But so are you, by asking us to simply believe because you say to. It doesn’t work that way.

I enjoy baking. Baking is actually very scientific. If you deviate from the ingredients and the amounts of the ingredients, you'll bake a mess.

And I got into a discussion with a woman from Australia who stated, as a matter of fact, that American baked goods were horribly sweet. Some are, but. I said, in each recipe an ingredient does something. Sugar sweetens, yes, but sugar is also hydroscopic, so it adds moisture and prevents the product from drying out.

And sugar can make the outcome change. The basic recipe for a chocolate chip cookie calls for 1 1/2 cups of sugar, most often in the form of 3/4 cup packed brown, and 3/4 cup white granulated. But, if you want a crisper cookie, change the ratio to 1 cup white, 1/2 cup brown. Chewier cookie? 1 cup pack brown sugar, 1/2 cup white.

So I asked for an Australian chocolate chip cookie recipe. I wanted to know how they compensated for less sugar, because they had to, or the cookie wouldn’t turn out. And I would love a lower sugar cookie, that’s not filled with Frankenfood ingredients.

She refused to answer me. Because “American baked goods are simply too sweet.” Hm. Why aren’t you answering my question? There was this half hearted back and forth for a bit.

Then I changed tactics. I looked for a basic chocolate chip recipe from Australia, and put that up, converted it to US measure equivalents and proved that a home made chocolate chip cookie is pretty much the same the world around.

Even though I proved it? She still stuck by her belief. And that’s fine.

The reason I bring this up is this is a very similar state of affairs here.

Group A says you have to believe, Group B says we need proof. Then there’s the fighting.

At the end of it, I close the thread, get a bunch of rep points because everybody’s happy the insanity is over. And then someone starts another Bigfoot thread, and it starts again.

At this point, can’t we just agree to disagree? Group A says there is a Bigfoot and Group B says there’re no proof, so, okay, we’d like there to be one, but there probably isn’t. We truly can live in harmony over this. Truly.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:52 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
But so are you, by asking us to simply believe because you say to. It doesn’t work that way.

I enjoy baking. Baking is actually very scientific. If you deviate from the ingredients and the amounts of the ingredients, you'll bake a mess.

And I got into a discussion with a woman from Australia who stated, as a matter of fact, that American baked goods were horribly sweet. Some are, but. I said, in each recipe an ingredient does something. Sugar sweetens, yes, but sugar is also hydroscopic, so it adds moisture and prevents the product from drying out.

And sugar can make the outcome change. The basic recipe for a chocolate chip cookie calls for 1 1/2 cups of sugar, most often in the form of 3/4 cup packed brown, and 3/4 cup white granulated. But, if you want a crisper cookie, change the ratio to 1 cup white, 1/2 cup brown. Chewier cookie? 1 cup pack brown sugar, 1/2 cup white.

So I asked for an Australian chocolate chip cookie recipe. I wanted to know how they compensated for less sugar, because they had to, or the cookie wouldn’t turn out. And I would love a lower sugar cookie, that’s not filled with Frankenfood ingredients.

She refused to answer me. Because “American baked goods are simply too sweet.” Hm. Why aren’t you answering my question? There was this half hearted back and forth for a bit.

Then I changed tactics. I looked for a basic chocolate chip recipe from Australia, and put that up, converted it to US measure equivalents and proved that a home made chocolate chip cookie is pretty much the same the world around.

Group A says you have to believe, Group B says we need proof. Then there’s the fighting.

At the end of it, I close the thread, get a bunch of rep points because everybody’s happy the insanity is over. And then someone starts another Bigfoot thread, and it starts again.

At this point, can’t we just agree to disagree? Group A says there is a Bigfoot and Group B says there’re no proof, so, okay, we’d like there to be one, but there probably isn’t. We truly can live in harmony over this. Truly.

I agree with everything you said!

One of my problems with our forum is that we never know the true intentions of our members. I have pointed out this 'Snopes' article before: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bi...-san-antonio/? In that article there was one short paragraph that sums up what some of us suspect: "Serious scientific [Bigfoot] researchers are mostly a relic of the past. Today’s Bigfoot community is populated — many would say contaminated — by publicity-seeking promoters, hoaxers and self-styled Bigfoot buffs who offer perpetually fruitless weekend tours into the wilderness to look for the beast."

Without proof how can we determine if anybody here is truly telling the truth (like your Australian baker)? There is no way for us to know if our posters have a vested interest in the outcome of our quest for knowledge.

In the case of Big Foot it is not a matter of arguing over what evidence has been verified; it is a matter where there is no evidence and that makes it so much more aggravating. Instead of using scientific methods; believers have their own way to accumulate their evidence: They run around at night, screaming and making weird noise, or they hang shinny things, or they look for lettuce piles. Then, when they have sightings or even a body, they do not collect solid evidence!

The reason I have spent so much time on these threads is because my wife is dying. I am her primary caretaker right now during her final days. I officially retired the day I heard that she had cancer. She now sleeps most of the time and this is my escape from my reality. I wish that I did not have the time and that I was someplace else and my wife, of one month short of fifty years, was well - but it is too late to save her.

When I was younger I was a believer in Big Foot and Nessie. I always loved the notion that we would find a creature or creatures that we suspected lived - but was not confirmed. As the years went by and our scientific tools improved; hope of finding creatures like these faded - as the Snopes article points out. That does not mean that skeptics are not interested; we will always be interested in subjects like these.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:11 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Unfortunately Snopes is a place where skeptics hang out, just like Bigfoot believers probably hang out at the various Bigfoot websites. Both pander to the wishes of their audience and both sides attack the other. It is the same on the Religion forum and Politics but it is what makes the forum move forward - isn't it?

Quote:
There is no way for us to know if our posters have a vested interest in the outcome of our quest for knowledge.
Having been a moderator of another website forum in the past, I know there are people who have vested interests and some who are even paid to post in forums which are busy and which have an influence on the public thinking/opinion. The answer is not to believe anyone apart from ourselves and to take what everyone says with a pinch of salt.

As a moderator, there are things which can be done to find out whether users have similar agendas, such as duplicate usersnames, looking up the IP address or email of posters and whether they really come from the place they claim to.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:22 AM

I am so sorry, Fish. Lost my mom and brother in law to cancer. My escape was Rick Sebak PBS documentaries. After Mom died, every time I heard his voice I cried my eyes out — took about three years for that to stop.

I’m glad you find some peace somewhere during this time.

Blessings to you and your wife.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:15 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Unfortunately Snopes is a place where skeptics hang out, just like Bigfoot believers probably hang out at the various Bigfoot websites. Both pander to the wishes of their audience and both sides attack the other. It is the same on the Religion forum and Politics but it is what makes the forum move forward - isn't it?

Having been a moderator of another website forum in the past, I know there are people who have vested interests and some who are even paid to post in forums which are busy and which have an influence on the public thinking/opinion. The answer is not to believe anyone apart from ourselves and to take what everyone says with a pinch of salt.

As a moderator, there are things which can be done to find out whether users have similar agendas, such as duplicate usersnames, looking up the IP address or email of posters and whether they really come from the place they claim to.

I am aware that I quoted a skeptic. I am also aware that others can quote from their websites. The reason that I have used 'Snopes' is because they express many of the problems my side has with the current state of this 'investigation' into whether we are dealing with a myth or beast. Whether you believe it or not; the clock is ticking on finding BF. The longer this search goes on; the less likely we will find any creature. Our world is getting smaller by the day.

PS Thank you Tallysmom!

Old 09-09-2018, 07:49 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Golly gee. I haven't had a reply yet.
On my last post i forgot to ask if any one knows if there is technology to reduce large prints; or do they need to be reduced at all?? There will be smaller ones of all sizes .

Old 09-09-2018, 08:03 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

I don't agree that anyone has to believe at all. I enjoy talking with those that are interested and want them and me to learn more to go and try out in the world. I have easily noticed that a few of the Group B persons seem to just keep saying no as if it is their duty or job. That in it's self is a mystery as to why they do this. I am sure glad for the Ignore function. They don't have to believe a word i say and i don't have to bother with their rebuttals.

I have lived in Costa Rica and they use very little sugar. I have tried cookies from India and very little sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal