Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 02:56 PM

4,650 posts, read 4,085,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It seems from the OP's responses that she is not seeking a non-supernatural response, in fact it appears she gets quite upset when a plausible explanation is discussed - but this is called "private speech" or "self talk" and is quite normal in toddlers up to pre-schoolers.
It's actually good development behavior.

I dismiss this as another case of "confirmation bias" - OP wants to believe in the supernatural and thus looking anywhere and everywhere for proof of it's existence. Everything is pretty much explained in her below admittance:
Nailed it! I would like to rep you but for some reason I am not sure my rep button works.

OP- you have every right to come to a supernatural forum and discuss what you clearly believe is a supernatural experience, but why frame it as a question when you have clearly already made up your mind? The truth is, as has been pointed out, that this behavior is common. You should be much more worried if your toddler was NOT displaying signs of activity.

Relax. Your child is fine and your house is not haunted.

I do not come to the paranormal forum to change other people's belief systems, but rememeber that a good general rule is that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Having an imaginary friend is not proof of anything, and you should not take it as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 02:58 PM

21,573 posts, read 12,627,737 times
We all have a confirmation bias. Those of you who don't believe in the paranormal find explanations to explain this that fit your own reality. When neither side can know for sure. And so it goes.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:59 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,380,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddhanks View Post
My son used to wake up late at night. Every night, like clockwork. Crying. It would send chills down my spine.

My old house was haunted. Saw shadows, heard footsteps and things would be misplaced.

One day we were watching him. He was standing, looking at a photo of my grandparents. He looked at me and said he sees that man at night. My grandfather. I asked him are you sure, he said yes. He would get scared because he knew he shouldn't be in his room, just in the picture. I told him that it's ok, paw paw means no harm. He's just watching over you, making sure you're safe and tucked in. He used to do that to me. Ever since we talked about it, he didn't cry. I would hear him say it's ok paw paw, I'm covered up and warm.
oh my God!
Hugs!

Old 02-07-2018, 05:37 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,108,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
About the same age I was when my green-clad kingly friend was a presence in my life, then.

just curious: did you ever ask your little girl to draw a picture of "the man in the corner"? She sounds like a very bright and imaginative child, btw.
I never asked her as I really did not need to imagine it any more than I did. LOL.

She is very bright. She was never much of a sleeper. Her brain is always working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is fascinating! The fact that there are still 12th-century houses in existence in the vicinity of London, and that people live in them, is fascinating. I'd love to see one of those! That is considered extremely old, in US terms. The only housing that old in existence (and still occupied) in the US is in the Southwest, in Native American communities. Some of these are UN World Heritage sites and national historic monuments.
The house was really interesting. It had four floors and the rooms, doorways, and stairwells were very small and tight. I would often wonder about the generations of people who lived in the house. Especially the man in the corner of the room. Sometimes, I felt quite frightened in the house for no apparent reason. I hated when my husband traveled for his job.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:55 PM

386 posts, read 361,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
When my daughter was 2, we lived in a 13th century house outside of London. My daughter's bed was set up in my bedroom. She would "talk" to the man in the corner of the room. Sometimes, she would tell me he was the man sitting on my bed.
Sure, but how comfortable were you with your husband sitting on your bed?

Old 02-07-2018, 07:04 PM

386 posts, read 361,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In the months before my mother passed away, she would talk to people we couldn't see or hear. Greet, chat, laugh, pause as if she were listening to them, then reply to them. I finally asked who they were, and she told me (even spelling the names). When I researched it, I found they were all people from the happiest time of her life and all were deceased. I believe the very old and very young are able to see and hear through the veil, as it were, separating heaven and earth. It was amazing and very reassuring.
Or, your mother like some elderly individuals potentially may have experienced symptoms of some forms of dementia, e.g., clearly recalled her happiest days, friends/family from decades ago, etc., yet may not have been able to recall things which occurred moments, hours, days ago, etc.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:53 PM

8,365 posts, read 7,563,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
You know, I remember both of my kids doing this at around 18 mos to 2 1/2 years. They would sing and chat in middle of the night...it was a little unnerving at first
I would go into their rooms & gently rub their backs, sometimes rock them & talk or sing softly...they usually returned to sleep.

They are normal adults now.
My two also did this as toddlers.

Far as I know, the only spirits involved were toddler spirits.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:15 PM

23,884 posts, read 32,174,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
Hello!

We have a 2 year old. He has been a great sleeper since a few weeks after being born - about 7 weeks. He sleeps through the night, in his room with no issues.

Over the last few months, my husband and I have noticed an increase in the nights he is waking up during the night (between 11pm-3am), having full on conversations with...no one.

He is laughing. He is singing. He is chatting it up. We have watched him on the monitor to see if he is playing with his stuffed animals and he is not. He is usually laying on his back or sitting up, chatting away.

At first it was just a minute or two, but now he is up at least an hour. He does eventually go back to sleep.

But I am beginning to notice he is starting to develop dark circles under his eyes. He is also very tired in the morning.

Talking to himself or something more?

I am very, very open to the paranormal, but babbling - including laughing and singing - is a very normal part of the language acquisition process.

Dark circles can be caused by many medical issues. I would share your concerns with your son's pediatrician.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:20 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,026,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

OMG!!!!! That could be it! Make sure the window is secure!

Mom, I would suggest maybe sleeping in the room with your child for a night or two, to really find out what is happening. Maybe just tell your child you want to have a sleepover. Or perhaps move the child into your room for awhile. I'm getting chills just even thinking about this!
When my now 32 year old son was just under 2 years old, he developed a pattern of waking up every night between 1AM-2AM. He would be just hysterical ... as I would approach the crib he would reach for me & pull himself up over the rail as if he was just terrified of something.

Other things were starting to go on too. The phone would ring all day & all night. I had started getting crank phone calls where I would answer but the line would go dead or just silent. Eventually a trace was put on the line but it traced to a payphone about a half mile away.

One morning, my husband had to leave earlier than usual for work & was driving a company truck. It was still dawn when he left & as he pulled out of our apartment complex parking lot & passed the backside of our building, something caught his eye. He turned to look & there was a man standing at my bedroom window, slicing through the screen with a knife.

I won’t bore everybody with the year+ of events that ensued but he almost killed the guy right then because he turned the steering wheel of that truck & floored it ... Over the lawn, through a fence, into another apartment complex parking lot & rammed into two parked cars the guy had ran in between, missing him by inches.

Unfortunately, I had managed to pick up a stalker who would continue to evade law enforcement for another year, eventually involving the FBI. When he was finally in custody, he was profiled as the most dangerous type of sexually violent predator known. The FBI agent bluntly told me “He is a Bundy”.

But the man did admit during interrogations that he had been purposefully scaring my son every night by making noise at his window, so that I would get up & turn the lights on. He said it made it “easier to see inside”.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:56 AM

21,573 posts, read 12,627,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laowai View Post
Or, your mother like some elderly individuals potentially may have experienced symptoms of some forms of dementia, e.g., clearly recalled her happiest days, friends/family from decades ago, etc., yet may not have been able to recall things which occurred moments, hours, days ago, etc.
Sorry. And I mean REALLY sorry that you apparently believe only in this pitiful world! It's just practice.

They had all already died; there were still plenty of people from her happy days who were still alive she could've been talking to instead. :P

To one, she exclaimed, "Oh! I didn't know YOU were here?" When I researched it, turned out he had passed six months earlier; she wasn't aware of this.

This occurred the three times she nearly died; when she recovered (the first two times), she had no "dementia" until the next time she nearly died.

The veil thins as we get close; again, sorry you don't/can't believe this. But I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal