Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 02:26 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,331,607 times

Advertisements

I had the most unusual, horrible dream last night about my Grandfather.

First, some background--GP war my mother's father. He passed over 30 years ago. GP and I were always close, my grandparents lived just across the street from us. Grandma died when I was ten, and my memories of her are scant, but GP and I were always close.

Anyways---the dream

Somehow GP was laying next to me, wrapped in something like a paper bag. The paper was old and brittle. I somehow sensed it was GP, I said Grandpa, is that you? He answered don't turn around or look at me, you won't like what you see. I then asked are you dead? He said yes, but he had something important to tell me. Then he proceeded to say something I couldn't quite make out, something about someone named Peterson, and I needed to tell my mother. I don't know any Peterson!

Then I figured if it was GP communicating from the other side, now was the time to ask some questions! I asked if he was in Heaven, he said not yet. I asked how can one get to Heaven, he said Repent. I asked Repent here on Earth, or later, when we pass? He said Repent now! I asked is there really a God, and have you seen him? He said that's for you to decide.

Then he handed me a yellowed, old newspaper, brittle with age. He said here, give this to your mother, she will understand. I tried to read it, but couldn't make it out, except there were a few small obituaries, but I couldn't make them out. I asked GP if I would live long, like he did (he died at age 98). He said no, then I asked when I would die---he said at age 28. In the dream, I was 26, I thought that only gives me 2 years!

Actually, I'm 64, so guess I passed that "deadline". In the dream, I asked GP how could I live past age 28. He said to give the newspaper to my mother. Then, that part of the dream faded out. Then, I was trying to find my mother, carrying the newspaper (In reality, she's also long gone, she died about 1992). Well, I was running in the rain, trying to find my mother. Then I realized the newspaper was getting wet. I did the best I could to protect it. I put it under my shirt, and held an umbrella over it to shield it, but it still got wet. I realized the ink was smearing off. I thought if I could get somewhere inside I could try to dry it off so I could read it. then, that part faded.

The last part of the dream, I promised GP I would give him a decent burial, he would be in a decent coffin, with a nice headstone, and the service for Christian burial would be read. I would bury him next to Grandma. In reality, that was all done! He was buried next to Grandma, but a few things were off.

First, my mother had a thing about not spending a lot for a funeral I think she read Consumer's Report too much! I wasn't there for the arrangements, I barely made it there for the burial---I had to fly in from another state. Frankly, I was appalled at the arrangements. He was just buried, no funeral service, no "embalming, just placed in a casket. I didn't see the body. Also, the casket was awful, it was an old, greenish colored metal, with scratches all over it, like it was somehow "used". Mother did pay for a decent vault (sometimes called a liner, of concrete). Mother and I followed the hearse to the cemetery, at my insistence. She was just going to have him dropped off, like a parcel post!

Like I said, there was no funeral, but we did follow the hearse and accompanied the body to the grave. I insisted the ritual be followed, even if he just had one mourner. I had promised him I would accompany him to his grave, and I did. Well, when we got there, they were just going to drop him off. I insisted a prayer be said. There was no minister, but the funeral director read a small service from a book. Ok, I figured that was adequate---whenever two or more are gathered in My Name.----

Even his headstone was not right. It had his first and last name, but not his middle initial, which he always used. The dates were just the year, not the month and day, and the date of birth was incorrect---it said 1892, it should have been 1890. Also, no Christian cross symbol, which I always insisted on headstones. I always felt the headstone should have been re-done, but there was no crossing my mother.

Such a strange dream! We all have strange dreams at times, but this is beyond strange. I feel GP was trying to tell me something, but what? Any comments? Thanks for reading through all this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 05:25 PM

Well, no comments so far? Perhaps later ...

Meanwhile, just writing it out helps. Dreams sometimes fade away and you forget essential details.

I've been thinking for a long time to have GP headstone replaced with a more accurate one. I owe him that much. My mother wouldn't consider it, she said she had spent enough money---mostly it was GP money left in a bank account---but she is gone now, too. I suppose I would have the legal right to do so? I will contact the cemetery and find out.

Also, that would be a good time to have a minister perform a proper burial ceremony. It would just be a graveside prayer, there's no one left who remembers him. It would just be the minister, my husband, and me, possibly my son and daughter if they could break away from school, jobs, etc. I just never felt he was laid to rest properly, perhaps he doesn't either!

Not to sound too harsh about my mother, she was GP court-appointed guardian and as such, had to account for every penny of his assets. She probably didn't want to go through all the hassle of getting yet another expense approved. She had an accounting nightmare as it was! She had to give an accounting every year to probate court as to how she spent his assets. She was appointed joint on his bank account. Once GP passed, Medicaid put a lien on his remaining assets. She had gone negative, anyways, spending her own money for essentials like eyeglasses, wheelchair, etc. Medicaid should have paid her! But, it doesn't work that way. The account was closed upon his death and final reconciliation, and I can see how she just didn't want any more of it. Its easy to sit back and criticize someone else, but its different when you're the one it falls on. Its a wonder she handled it as well as she did!

But I can pay for a decent, corrected headstone, I figure around $500--$1000. I know a headstone was important to GP, he often said so, he had seen many just buried on the old family farm, no marker, headstone, etc, he didn't want that to be his fate.

When he said in the dream "repent" perhaps he meant to replace the headstone---

Old 02-07-2018, 07:46 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,162,645 times
No idea what the dream means, but I think you should get the headstone corrected.

My mom and dad left some money when they died and with some of the money we bought stones for all my dad's aunts and uncles that were buried in a rural family cemetery with only a rock to mark their graves. My grandma (my dad's mom) was buried there too, and my dad and his brother had bought a headstone for her grave before they died.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:53 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,607,399 times
Just projecting on your dream: If it were my dream, it would have to do with unresolved issues with your mother (over the burial and everything you described, plus anything else) . . . you said she died "around 1992" - were you estranged?

He being in bad shape in the dream coincides with what you described you might imagine from the "used" looking casket and other less than desirable circumstances around his death.

The letter to your mother might describe all of your resentments?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:40 PM

8,472 posts, read 10,886,509 times
When it comes too dreams, and other things dealing with paranormal, I always recommend "The Spirit's Book", by Alan Kardec.

It is the most informative piece of literature I ave ever read having to do with spirits, and the afterlife, and I have read many over the years.

Here is a small excerpt from the book dealing with dreams.
Why we have them, and what they mean.
You can download the entire book online by googling the title.
It is free.

The book is written in a question/ answer format
the questions are asked of the spirits, and answered by the spirits.
Here is the excerpt:

Now, let's get serious about dreams.

Read on.......

"Sleep and Dreams
400. Does the incarnated spirit reside willingly in his corporeal envelope ?
"You might as well ask whether a prisoner willingly remains locked up in prison. The
incarnated spirit aspires incessantly after his deliverance; and the grosser his envelope, the
more desirous is be to be rid of it."
401. Does the soul take rest, like tile body, during sleep?
"No; a spirit is never inactive. The bonds which unite him to the body are relaxed during
sleep; and as the body does not then need his presence, he travels through space, and enters
into more direct relation with other spirits.”
402. How can we ascertain the fact of a spirit's liberty during sleep?
"By dreams. Be very sure that, when his body is asleep, a spirit enjoys the use of faculties of
which he is unconscious while his body is awake. He remembers the past, and sometimes
foresees the future: he acquires more power, and is able to enter into communication with
other spirits, either in this world or in some other.
"You often say, 'I have had a strange dream, a frightful dream, without any likeness to reality'
You are mistaken in thinking it to be so; for it is often a reminiscence of places and things
which you have seen in the past, or a foresight of those which you will see in another
existence, or in this one at some future time. The body being torpid, the spirit tries to break
his chain, and seeks, in the past or in the future, for the means of doing so.

"Poor human beings! how little do you know of the commonest phenomena of your life! You
fancy yourselves to be very learned, and you are puzzled by the most ordinary things. To
questions that any child might ask, 'What do we do when we are asleep?' 'What are dreams?'
you are incapable of replying.
"Sleep effects a partial freeing of the soul from the body. When you sleep, your spirit is, for
the time being, in the state in which you will be after your death. The spirits who at death are
promptly freed from matter are those who, during their life, have had what may be called
intelligent sleep. Such persons, when they sleep, regain the society of other spirits superior to
themselves. They go about with them, conversing with them, and gaining instruction from
them; they even work, in the spirit-world, at undertakings which, on dying, they find already
begun or completed. From this you see how little death should be dreaded, since, according to
the saying of St. Paul, you 'die daily."

Taken right from the source, to help better understand dreams.
The numbers in front of the questions refer to their listing on a particular page.

Again, you can download the book by clicking on the first link that comes up, once you google the title.

Bob.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:53 PM

Thanks, Bob! I will download the book!

Old 02-08-2018, 12:31 AM

8,472 posts, read 10,886,509 times
One thing I forgot to mention, and you will read it once you download the book, when we dream, what we are seeing is what our spirit is up too.

Sometimes we dream of places and people we know absolutely nothing about.
We have dreams(such as what you described in your op) that have absolutely no rhyme or reason, but to your spirit, it is very real, and is happening as you sleep.

These encounters are what your spirit sees and places it goes while you are sleeping.
Our subconscious is , for lack of a more descriptive phrase, going along for the ride.
Many dreams we remember, and many we don't.

You will find the reasons for that in the book.
One thing I know for sure, yo will find yourself reading things over again, to get a better understanding.

I want to also mention, the first 62 pages are sort of an introduction to the author, and his history.

A must read to better understand the book.

Bob.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:09 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,119,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I had the most unusual, horrible dream last night about my Grandfather. ...

Such a strange dream! We all have strange dreams at times, but this is beyond strange. I feel GP was trying to tell me something, but what? Any comments? Thanks for reading through all this
After reading your posting my thought was that you yourself are having some concerns that cluster around religion and religious belief, and your grandfather's dream story was a suitable "box" for it.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
After reading your posting my thought was that you yourself are having some concerns that cluster around religion and religious belief, and your grandfather's dream story was a suitable "box" for it.
This could be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal