Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 06:13 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times

Advertisements

Assume there is something paranormal behind some apparitions and visions. When one has this sort of experience, the brain is processing some kind of input to produce the experience of seeing something paranormal. This means whatever the existence of these beings or phenomena and wherever they might reside, there are mechanisms by which they can affect the flesh and blood reality we deal with in daily life. Ditto with things like precognition and PK. Some of these phenomena may involve energies and physical laws we don't understand yet.

The mechanisms by which we experience these things are subject therefore to the laws of science, and amenable to scientific investigation. Whatever's on the other side of the veil manipulating reality is not accessible by definition to scientific investigation; that's where metaphysics or theology takes over. There are a number of theologians who have tackled this issue: if divine or spiritual intervention in the world is possible, what might be the mechanism?

John Polkinghorne is a physicist who became an Anglican priest. He's written extensively on this topic. I suggest those who are interested in pursuing the topic of scientific explanations of paranormal phenomenon start with his fairly short (and readable) book "Science and Providence: God's Interaction With The World". It's available on Amazon and as an ebook on various sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 12:43 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I think a lot of “sightings” can originate from the mind & I do think certain people are prone to it.

However, this can’t serve to discount that sometimes, a person may see something that defies explanation. I think that these are not random occurrences & that what you saw means something & it was meant for you. This would not include sightings such as UFO’s, however. I have stood on a sidewalk in broad daylight with 10 other people who were watching the military trying to corral something that was way above their capacity to contain ... it was not an intimate moment whatsoever.

As an RN, I’ve encountered many people who suffered from Schizophrenia & Mania & were actively hallucinating. There is a difference in how these people present themselves & how a person who has just seen something does. The affect is completely different.

Occasionally I would see a person who did have a diagnosis of mental illness with a history of hallucinations who was lying about being in a delusional state, out of motivation to avoid being discharged from residential treatment & those people have a different affect too.

I can tell you that the 3 times I saw something that lacked a rational explanation, that I was actually upset & felt somewhat burdened by it. I was in no hurry to reveal my visionary status to anyone & would minimize or literally deny that anything had happened.

For one event I went into a state of denial that lasted a year & when I was finally ready to start processing it I had to have an outline first.

I sat down at my computer & thought: “If that was real, it has to follow the same laws of existence as every other currently living species. Meaning: It has to have nutritional intake, so what is it eating. It must eliminate waste from what it eats so is there evidence of this & it must be actively reproductive so is there evidence of other sightings that have occurred across other decades?”

I finally had to admit that science could not disprove its existence & in spite of my efforts, I was forced to admit that I saw something that isn’t supposed to be here right now. The other two instances also included elements of validation that were undeniable & that’s a good thing, because if not; I might have shut down the potential for for future ... things ... to happen, or to be seen.

I think that is why adults are less likely to see than children are: There are literally cells inside your brain that digest “inaccurate” pathways based on your learning experiences (google search for “synaptic pruning”). And I think that the more you become convinced that something can’t happen, the more likely it is that it won’t, because that pathway in your brain is destroyed & will not regenerate itself.

Personally, I believe now that I do not “own” what I’ve seen. I wonder if that initial emotion of feeling “burdened” was relevant in that I don’t get to keep it for myself, or deny it, or feel special or blessed because of it. It’s changed from a sense of burden to a sense of responsibility, I guess. Maybe 99% of those who will ever read this post will think I’m a Kook (I’ve been called that before) but maybe, there is someone out there that needed to see something through me. I hope so ... I’m clueless as to what to do with it!

Old 02-28-2018, 07:32 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
It's all hocus pocus crap.
There are no gods or supernatural beings, forces, or whatever.
There is always a logical or scientific explanation for this stuff.
Even if it's just plain old hallucinations. It's not real.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:07 AM

777 posts, read 881,656 times
Unnatural: When we are born, we are instantly put in a box of customs
and beliefs that we are expected to follow for the rest of our lives.

Natural: There is no box.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
The thing about ghosts that make it such a big deal, if they are truly the spirits of dead people, this opens a whole can of worms in regards to organized religion, and what actually happens to us after we die.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The thing about ghosts that make it such a big deal, if they are truly the spirits of dead people, this opens a whole can of worms in regards to organized religion, and what actually happens to us after we die.
And there's absolutely no way to prove what people are experiencing are the spirits of dead people, rather than hallucinations or deception by demons (which is some organized religions would say about them) or some natural phenomenon we don't understand.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:43 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
Why do we have to anhilate every bit of magic and mystery in this universe,and disqualify it,why Moderator cut: rude can't it exist,I have visions and walk worlds and believe me they are far too meaningful to be a result of a malfunction of my brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
People who say they saw a ghost, evil spirit, deceased relative, Jesus, etc. If we assume they haven't taken any drugs and aren't sleep deprived, basically their completely healthy in every way. If they were to see something paranormal, is there a natural explanation for this?, If not in this moment but maybe there will be in the future?

Does our brain sometimes cause us to hallucinate?. Is there another explanation for why people experience what they experience?. Do you think the paranormal will be explained and fully understood sometime in the future?. Maybe their brain does something which makes them experience what they do, or maybe there is unseen natural stuff that causes it.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 03-18-2018 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: Obfuscating the rude word ban

Old 03-18-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Why do we have to anhilate every bit of magic and mystery in this universe,and disqualify it,why can't it exist,I have visions and walk worlds and believe me they are far too meaningful to be a result of a malfunction of my brain.
Check the title of this thread - the OP asked a question and we're attempting to answer it. If you choose to take your experiences as evidence of other worlds, fine (I choose to place my faith and hope for an afterlife elsewhere), but don't get ticked off when you read a thread that clearly by the title is going to involve people saying things you don't want to hear.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 03-18-2018 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 10:24 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
I don't believe there are supernatural or paranormal forces at work, for these are just labels we have stuck on thing we haven't been really able to explain. For me, I see these things as "normal and natural" just because we can not quantify them with the senses doesn't mean they do not exist.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:36 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
My question kinda opens a can of worms so to speak. The paranormal leaves us with many questions. If I assume it's true that people really did see their deceased relative or really did see a ghost. This now has an implication on me. Does this mean there's an afterlife, a God, do I have a purpose, is heaven hell or reincarnation real, etc.

I think anything and everything associated with the paranormal I now have to think about it and decide how I will react to it. If we do live after death, how do I prepare for it exactly. Do I have to be a Christian now, or maybe a Muslim. Or maybe reincarnation is true. Or maybe the truth is something else. Do I have to live a moral and ethical life and what exactly does that look like. Will there be negative consequences if I just live my life doing whatever I want rather than being a good person or living in a specific way with certain rules I must or should follow.

I suppose the nature of it is not meant to be something you can prepare for, the reason why all this is in the unknown and unexplainable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal