Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 03:18 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,464,096 times

Advertisements

She dismissed it:
Quote:
The plaintiff (Claudia Ackerly) voluntarily dismissed the petition without prejudice - this means she chose to cancel the lawsuit, but can file it again if she wants to.

Her request for dismissal is at https://document.li/pFyu

An image of the court's docket as of today is at https://document.li/iuBt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 03:55 PM

18,755 posts, read 18,018,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
She dismissed it:
Thank you! Maybe it was too hard to carry all of that scientific evidence into court?

Old 03-21-2018, 12:22 AM

6,908 posts, read 6,818,560 times
Link to San Bernardino Sun Newspaper article

Quote:
The court dismissed the case at the request of petitioner Claudia Ackley, on March 15, court records show.
Quote:
“The attorneys wanted me to stop it and then for them to rewrite it,” Ackley said, adding that her attorneys told her if she had gone forward with her original filing, she would have been “eaten alive.”

In a March 17 Facebook post, Ackley informed her friends, “I only get one chance and I must do it correctly in order to proceed.”
Quote:
Standing said Tuesday that he, Ackley and a paralegal wrote the first lawsuit themselves, which was not vetted by any lawyers.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:53 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,464,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Thank you! Maybe it was too hard to carry all of that scientific evidence into court?
Clearly their loading docks are not large enough for all that evidence!

Old 03-21-2018, 10:51 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,018,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Clearly their loading docks are not large enough for all that evidence!
I think the evidence was stored in Warehouse 13; but somebody forgot where that is located! Maybe they need a BF for the eye recognition scanner to enter?

Kidding aside, we will all wait with bated breath; for the new law suit. I am sure her evidence will finally put this case to rest (or not)!

Old 03-22-2018, 10:02 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,477,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I think the evidence was stored in Warehouse 13; but somebody forgot where that is located! Maybe they need a BF for the eye recognition scanner to enter?

Kidding aside, we will all wait with bated breath; for the new law suit. I am sure her evidence will finally put this case to rest (or not)!
Or maybe a public court hearing presents too much risk and some of things that may come out in the hearing, that the public would hear about?

Couple other court trials were avoided due to similar circumstances, one was John Burroughs (spelling of last name?) he was exposed to radiation with a UFO encounter while he was in the military, Govt classified his medical record and fought very hard to keep it out of court, due to details that would come out during the proceedings.

Another was Gary McKinnon, for his hacking of US intel agencies, court trial was avoided here, again, for details that would become public knowledge.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:58 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Or maybe a public court hearing presents too much risk and some of things that may come out in the hearing, that the public would hear about?

Couple other court trials were avoided due to similar circumstances, one was John Burroughs (spelling of last name?) he was exposed to radiation with a UFO encounter while he was in the military, Govt classified his medical record and fought very hard to keep it out of court, due to details that would come out during the proceedings.

Another was Gary McKinnon, for his hacking of US intel agencies, court trial was avoided here, again, for details that would become public knowledge.
She filed the lawsuit herself, without attorneys. It sounds like some attorneys are willing to help her. The way her filing was done, it wasn’t done well, and it would have been thrown out with prejudice, meaning she can’t try this again.

At least she now stands a chance.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:29 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,043,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I Googled the Yeti hand. It was declared human years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Oh man ....
No; wait.

Upon googling “Yeti hand”, yes, the very first entry is from Wikipedia & it does state in the excerpt that the bone fragments were confirmed as Human. That is extremely misleading, as the story behind the mummified hand that was kept by the monks in a Buddhist monastery in Pangboche, Nepal; is much more complicated than you would expect & the Wikipedia page has not been updated for over a year. There have been recent developments:

In 1959 Peter Byrne, a member of a Nepalese expedition, reportedly stole pieces of the hand because the monks refused to let it be taken for a study. Byrne supposedly replaced the stolen bone fragments with human bones.

Byrne then smuggled the bone(s) into India, turned the bones over to the actor James Stewart, whose wife Gloria, smuggled them into the UK.

At London University, the first findings were that it was Hominid but later they determined that it was much more similar to Neanderthal.

Then, in 1991, the expeditions consultant; American anthropologist George Agogino, admitted that he also had retained some bone fragments & turned them over to NBC’s “Unsolved Mysteries” for testing. Those results determined that they were “near human”, yet not actually ... human.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangboche_Hand

Sometime during the 1990s, the entire hand is reported to have gone missing, stolen from the monastery.

In 2008, The Royal College of Surgeons' Hunterian Museum in London claimed to have found the same fragments that had been tested in 1960 at London University; supposedly donated to them when that researcher had died in 1975.

In collaboration with the BBC, these samples were tested with DNA technology & declared Human.
Tracing the origins of a 'yeti's finger' - BBC News

But. In 2016, a book was published: “Bigfoot, Yeti & The Last Neanderthal: A Geneticist's Search for Modern Apemen” By Bryan Sykes. In the book, the author describes a visit he paid to a Dr. Oxford in Edinburgh, the scientist who had performed the DNA tests onthe bone fragments.

Together, they ran the DNA & again, it did result as Human. However, on closer inspection, they noticed that none of the sequences matched any known to Asia & instead, was positively European. On a hunch, they decided to run Dr. Oxford’s DNA, to rule out contamination. But it was not a match. Next, they contacted Peter Byrne, who was by that time 85 years old & living in Oregon. He agreed to submit a swab for DNA.

It was a match. The bone fragments had been contaminated with his own DNA, probably since the time he had swiped them from the monastery in 1959.
https://books.google.com/books?id=uo...finger&f=false

Old 03-23-2018, 11:40 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,043,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The only references I've found to this article in the Washington Star-News are on bigfoot/sasquatch sites like this one:

bigfoot and the FBI

That's secondary information, and the Star-News ceased publication in 1981. All of the sites are quoting an article and I'm unable to find the original article on any other site, including the Internet Archive - or to find the Washington Environmental Atlas referenced in the article.

Supposing the article was actually published in the Star-News in 1975 - what was the reporter's source for the information? How do we know someone didn't just make this up, post it on a bigfoot "research" site where it was picked up by other sites in the bigfoot community - it wouldn't be the first time this sort of fakery has happened?
It was also in:

The Walla Walla Union Bulletin, (Washington) Sunday, July 6, 1975. Page 13.

The Port Angeles (Washington) Daily News, Sunday, July 6, 1975. Page 6.

The Santa Ana Register, (California) Sunday, July 6, 1975. Page E 1.

The Butte Montana Standard (Montana), Saturday, July 5, 1975. Page 1.

The Cedar Rapids Gazette, (Iowa) Thursday, July 10, 1975. Page 9.

The Albuquerque Tribune (New Mexico), Saturday, July 5, 1975. Page 1.

The Oakland Tribune (California), Monday, July 7, 1975. Page 30.

The Denton Record Chronicle, (Texas) Wednesday, September 10, 1975. Page 4 A.

The Salt Lake Tribune, (Utah) Sunday, July 6, 1975. Page A 11.

The Tucson Daily Citizen (Arizona), Monday, July 7, 1975. Page 5.

I’m on NewspaperArchive website & will give you the link but my access is through my public library (password protected) & in the past the links have not worked. I can also get on my computer (I’m on my kid’s school iPad right now) & post an image, as soon as he goes to sleep.

https://ezproxy.ppld.org:2282/us

-

Old 03-24-2018, 10:01 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,911,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
It was also in:

The Walla Walla Union Bulletin, (Washington) Sunday, July 6, 1975. Page 13. ...

I’m on NewspaperArchive website & will give you the link but my access is through my public library (password protected) & in the past the links have not worked. I can also get on my computer (I’m on my kid’s school iPad right now) & post an image, as soon as he goes to sleep.
I found an image of the page describing Sasquatch from the Washington Environmental Atlas (1975):

http://farm9.static.flickr.com/8085/...27c_z.jpg?zz=1

Note that it's clearly being described as a mythical creature on the page rather than an actual animal, and the text has a bit of a tongue-in-cheek quality about it (as evidence by the cartoon stating mythical creatures shouldn't be in the atlas). My guess is that they included it in the atlas as a bit of a goof - and because the topic "excites a great popular interest". They reference the FBI study of the hair, but provide no link to a reference for the study; pretty clearly this page wasn't being included for its scientific value.

The last paragraph is interesting:

Quote:
If Sasquatch is purely legendary, the legend is likely to be a long time in dying. On the other had, if Sasquatch does exist, then with the Sasquatch hunts being mounted and the increasing human population it seems likely that some hard evidence may soon be in hand. Legendary or actual, Sasquatch excites a great popular interest in Washington.
Hardly a ringing endorsement for the existence of the creature. And in the 43 years since the atlas was published, we still haven't found any hard evidence of its existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal