Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 09:41 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,911,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You can always go to Netflix and play season 1 and 2 of Stranger Things. It is based on the reported experiments conducted in the Montauk Project: The Real-Life Conspiracy Theories Behind. Of course the writers used plenty of literary freedom; but many enjoy looking inside the minds of great writers and some actually believe it is the truth. Of course the truth can be someplace in the middle. Even though a skeptic; I am looking forward to their season 3.
The Philadelphia Experiment was also based on Montauk. Stranger Things was originally titled "Montauk", by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 10:36 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,018,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The Philadelphia Experiment was also based on Montauk. Stranger Things was originally titled "Montauk", by the way.
I had missed the point that the series was originally called Montauk; thanks! I was aware and it is mentioned in the link I provided about the Philadelphia Experiment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Eldridge.

I love good science fiction and I would recommend this series to all of our 'Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal thread posters. However; I do acknowledge this as 'fiction' and not reality. Some might not see it that way.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:17 PM

7,571 posts, read 6,039,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Bring back MOUNTAIN MONSTERS!!!!
YES Please do

But not Alaska Monsters (same production company)

Old 04-21-2018, 11:01 AM

10,194 posts, read 6,257,929 times
Quote:
I had missed the point that the series was originally called Montauk; thanks! I was aware and it is mentioned in the link I provided about the Philadelphia Experiment: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Eldridge.

I love good science fiction and I would recommend this series to all of our 'Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal thread posters. However; I do acknowledge this as 'fiction' and not reality. Some might not see it that way.
We lived on LI (Suffolk) for over 30 years. Camp Hero is very well known to locals. It is a fact that back in the 40's there were Nazi Sympathizer Camps on Eastern LI.

Then there is Plum Island and their supposed government experiments done there. If nothing is going on, then why ban the public from sailing within a certain radius of there?

ALL "fiction" has a basis in truth.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:05 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,911,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Then there is Plum Island and their supposed government experiments done there. If nothing is going on, then why ban the public from sailing within a certain radius of there?
"Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC)" seems like a pretty clear reason to me.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
We lived on LI (Suffolk) for over 30 years. Camp Hero is very well known to locals. It is a fact that back in the 40's there were Nazi Sympathizer Camps on Eastern LI.

ALL "fiction" has a basis in truth.
The carcasses that washed up did not help the Plum Island reputation: https://bethelencircle.wordpress.com...f-plum-island/.

Also the speculation and rumor about biological warfare did not help.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:03 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,464,096 times
Quote:
If nothing is going on in your house why ban the public from there?

Old 04-22-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
If nothing is going on in your house why ban the public from there?
It could be more than just protecting the buildings on the island. Here is the Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum_Island_(New_York). From that link, in 2013: "As part of the planned sale of Plum Island, the United States Government has been preparing an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the Island, one objective of which is to determine whether the impact of nearly sixty years of animal testing on the Island constitutes a threat to public health that could preclude the planned sale." The link did not state if that Environment Impact Statement was ever completed or the findings of the studies if it was completed. The article did state that there are some environmental concerns but did not go into specifics. It would be interesting to hear more.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:10 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,464,096 times
Quote:
It could be more than just protecting the buildings on the island. Here is the Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plum_Island_(New_York). From that link, in 2013: "As part of the planned sale of Plum Island, the United States Government has been preparing an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the Island, one objective of which is to determine whether the impact of nearly sixty years of animal testing on the Island constitutes a threat to public health that could preclude the planned sale." The link did not state if that Environment Impact Statement was ever completed or the findings of the studies if it was completed. The article did state that there are some environmental concerns but did not go into specifics. It would be interesting to hear more.
I know why they do not let people on there but I was responding to the users claim that if nothing is going why ban the public question. I see a lot of people say things like that thinking it is proof of something but when you ask them the same question the excuses start-a-flowin.

Old 04-22-2018, 10:46 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I know why they do not let people on there but I was responding to the users claim that if nothing is going why ban the public question. I see a lot of people say things like that thinking it is proof of something but when you ask them the same question the excuses start-a-flowin.
I don’t know about this place, but out here over half of Alcatraz is off limits to the public. It’s simply too dangerous in many ways. Falling apart, peeling lead paint, dark with no power. So, if it’s off limits, I’m betting the lack of maintence has rendered the area dangerous to people, and the owners don’t want lawsuits.

That’s the hard thing. Keeping people out, when all they want to do is get in and explore.

We ended up taking down our house on mom’s property because the ways the laws are an unoccupied derelict house — it is considered an attractive nuisance, even if the property has no trespassing signage. Therefore, if Little Johnny breaks in and while smoking and shooting up, nods off, and kills himself by burning down the house, Johnny’s parents can sue and win. If Johnny walks onto posted raw land, shoots up and dies, that’s on him.

And since it looks like we might own this land in perpetuity, it’s best to keep everyone safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal