Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 08:28 PM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times

Advertisements

Do we know how he died yet? Has it been reported?

There are bound to be some speculation due to the fringe subjects he covered, however, you would have thought it would be fairly obvious if it was a normal death like a heart attack or something. "Unclear" as a media description is just wringing out the most coverage and playing into the hands of the conspiracy nuts like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 09:08 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

There are bound to be some speculation due to the fringe subjects he covered, however, you would have thought it would be fairly obvious if it was a normal death like a heart attack or something. "Unclear" as a media description is just wringing out the most coverage and playing into the hands of the conspiracy nuts like me.
He had COPD.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:11 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:

One of the earliest articles I read announcing his death stated that Art died while surrounded by family, so I assume he was in poor condition leading up to his death and, at some point, became severe enough to warrant his family gathering at his bedside.

Last edited by AnthonyJ34; 04-24-2018 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-24-2018, 10:33 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:

Ive not heard anyone speculating on any possible conspiracies in relation to his death, from what Ive read, NOTHING remotely even hints at the possibility, and really Art went on live radio talking about this stuff for a very very long time,something tells me if really had any 'dirt'/ secrets, he would have been 'suicided' long ago, the fact that he wasnt, tells me, he was probably not viewed as a threat to those that maintain these BIG secrets.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:47 AM

236 posts, read 370,408 times
Some of the amateur radio forums contain posts from those who shared the hobby and knew Art and saw him fairly recently.

Indications were that his physical condition had deteriorated markedly and that he was aware of this and planning for his family's future and the legacy of his radio program through a hand-picked protege (Heather Wade) to the extent that he sold her his original mobile home/studio so she could continue the program from his compound.

Alas that may or may not come to fruition as Ms. Wade is grieving mightily, has not returned to the airwaves, and thus the show moves on playing reruns.

Monday is the day of reckoning as to whether Heather comes back to take the reigns or Art's longtime webmaster and head of the Dark Matter Radio Network (Keith Rowland) moves on to a new host.

Given that MITD is the keystone program on his network this is a critical juncture.

https://twitter.com/ArtBellCom

Midnight In The Desert Retweeted

keith neese

@keithneese
3h3 hours ago
More
Replying to @ArtBellCom
And with that statement, you have my full support. I just renewed my subscription. I trust you Keith, to honor Art as only a friend would. Like I said before, I will not sit by and let the network die, when I can do something about it.
0 replies 2 retweets 8 likes
Reply Retweet 2 Like 8

Midnight In The Desert

@ArtBellCom
3h3 hours ago
More
Midnight In The Desert Retweeted Mr. Dude
So heres the deal. I’ll honor Art’s wishes if Heather comes back. If not, then I’ll honor Art by finding someone who will.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:19 PM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Ok, thanks for the info. It is sad that Heather is so affected by Arts death, particularly as I was under the impression she has her own beliefs which are more in line with the show, with survival of the spirit, etc. Some people obviously feel the death of a close loved one really deeply and need longer to deal with the traumatising shock of it all.

I get the feeling it is a fairly lonely existence for anyone doing a job which like that but I kind of hope she is able to move on from this event and return to the show.

Who knows, maybe it is time for another change and to see what the next chapter for MITD will reveal.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:34 PM

She invested a lot buying his studio and trailer, to say nothing of being mentored regularly in broadcasting by Art.

I think the shockingly abrupt departure kind of blew her world up, all the more so given the short time she's lived in Nevada.

There are other talents out there on whom Keith could rely if need be. The question is whether his operation and its subscriber revenues (which now must be dwindling) are enticing enough to draw interest.

Richard Hoagland would have been a possibility had he not had his own falling out with the network, coupled with the obvious fact that he only wants to do two 3 hour shows each weekend so he can continue work on his latest book.

The short term winner in all this will likely be KGRA which has Jimmy Church as it's flagship show and a broad lineup behind that including Linda Moulton Howe.

Radio, even internet radio, is a crowded and highly competitive space.

So we may well be witnessing the end of the Dark Matter Digital Network before our very ears - went a shame.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:07 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
ive got to believe art bell saved thousands of lives........of drivers that didnt fall asleep at the wheel..

i remember many a nights i was wide awake listening to the ...alien weird stuff.........kept me from nodding off

Old 04-27-2018, 10:27 AM

He was a trucker's best friend.

Some years before Coast, but not too many, there was a great trucking show on WOAI out of San Antonio, TX hosted by Ben Baldwin. "Road Across America", iirc.

That was a more mainstream trucking program, but had plenty of good late night chatter and lots of horn sounding. Not sure what became of Ben and that show; I know Sirius XM has a trucking show of its own though.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:08 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,023 times
So sorry to hear about Art Bell's passing....the programming of his broadcasts gave me many hours of enjoyment! R.I.P., dear friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal