U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 06:12 PM

10,074 posts, read 12,359,786 times

Advertisements

Some real people are quoted in the following.

https://www.inverse.com/article/4612...rce=newsletter
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 07:38 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,609,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Do you really think they'd tell us if it was a chupacabra or a werewolf???
Do you think they'd tell us that you are a plant? It really takes no intelligence or effort to parrot this claim.

Quote:
Bull**** asymmetry principle Publicly formulated the first time in January 2013[12] by Alberto Brandolini, an Italian programmer, the bull**** asymmetry principle (also known as Brandolini's law[13][14]) states that:
The amount of energy needed to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it.
It became especially popular after a picture of a presentation by Brandolini at XP2014 on May 30, 2014, was posted on Twitter.[15] Brandolini was inspired by reading Daniel Kahneman's Thinking, Fast and Slow right before watching an Italian political talk show with journalist Marco Travaglio and former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi attacking each other.[16][17] A similar concept, the "bull**** mountain theory", was formulated by the Italian blogger Uriel Fanelli in 2010, roughly stating the same sentence.[18]
Brandolini's law emphasizes the difficulty of debunking bull****.[19] In contrast, the faster propagation of bull**** is an old proverb: "a lie is halfway round the world before the truth has got its boots on".[20]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull****

Old 06-20-2018, 10:51 AM

14,049 posts, read 20,266,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Do you think they'd tell us that you are a plant? It really takes no intelligence or effort to parrot this claim.
I don't know if she was joking...I was trying to figure out how to respond to such an outlandish claim. I mean for every comment in city data with support, for everything, every forum, you can simply respond now "would they tell us if it's true". Commenting on history, was George Washington the first president?: "would they tell us if it's true". Comments on economics, 100 pennies equals a dollar?: "would they tell us if it's true". Comments on childrens stories. Seuss wrote "Horton hears a Who"?: "would they tell us if it's true".
If we extend her claims we can simply say no everything is a lie, including this life. We are simply living in a virtual reality matrix controlled by supercomputers existing in a separate dimension. Because of course, after all - do you really think they would they tell us if it's true?

Last edited by Dd714; 06-20-2018 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-20-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I don't know if she was joking...I was trying to figure out how to respond to such an outlandish claim. I mean for every comment in city data with support, for everything, every forum, you can simply respond now "would they tell us if it's true". Commenting on history, was George Washington the first president?: "would they tell us if it's true". Comments on economics, 100 pennies equals a dollar?: "would they tell us if it's true". Comments on childrens stories. Seuss wrote "Horton hears a Who"?: "would they tell us if it's true".
If we extend her claims we can simply say no everything is a lie, including this life. We are simply living in a virtual reality matrix controlled by supercomputers existing in a separate dimension. Because of course, after all - do you really think they would they tell us if it's true?
It is so ridiculous around here I cannot even be civil any more. Ignorance is not something to be proud of and proclaim, but if someone does I should be able to call them out on it but here you have your hands held behind your back by "they" while you take body shots and bans.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
It is so ridiculous around here I cannot even be civil any more. Ignorance is not something to be proud of and proclaim, but if someone does I should be able to call them out on it but here you have your hands held behind your back by "they" while you take body shots and bans.
This forum is all for fun and harmless, but sometimes you just gotta laugh.

I might just change my status label to read that.
Conspiracy thought for the day to contemplate!: Do you really think they'd tell us if it was a werewolf???

There is also a thread in the Current Events forum on this topic, I might link to this thread and that comment to give the guys there a laugh.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:43 PM

10,074 posts, read 12,359,786 times
Quote:
This forum is all for fun and harmless, but sometimes you just gotta laugh.

I might just change my status label to read that.
Conspiracy thought for the day to contemplate!: Do you really think they'd tell us if it was a werewolf???

There is also a thread in the Current Events forum on this topic, I might link to this thread and that comment to give the guys there a laugh.
Read the Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness forum. It always has several of the same sort.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Read the Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness forum. It always has several of the same sort.
I know it, I've posted there before and some of them are, shall we say, "out there" in some sort of alternative reality....the difference is that they get really angry if you disagree with them and some of their tin foil hat theories. I mean REALLY ANGRY. At least this forum has more gentle souls.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:02 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,219,850 times
Quote:
I know it, I've posted there before and some of them are, shall we say, "out there" in some sort of alternative reality....the difference is that they get really angry if you disagree with them and some of their tin foil hat theories. I mean REALLY ANGRY. At least this forum has more gentle souls.

I thought the "T-F" phrase was hate-speech now(!?)

Many people not only hold beliefs but strongly identify with, or even define themselves by them. An "attack" (real or perceived) on the belief is taken as an attack on themselves. When speaking to someone you know, or at least in person, you can get a sense of that and choose to moderate yourself (or not). Online "conversation" is another matter; you never know how your message is being received and processed. You're not speaking in a one-to-one situation; everyone occupying a spot on every Bell-Curve can see it.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:35 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,501,379 times
The creature was in fact an ordinary grey wolf:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...olf/711859002/

The article notes:

Quote:
It's [sic]unusual appearance — small feet, short legs and big ears — led to wild speculation on what it was as photos circulated worldwide via social media.
Take a walk down a crowded street in your nearest city. You'll notice people with smaller feet than average, others with short legs, others with big ears. It's called normal genetic variation - which you find in wolves as well as humans.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
I thought the "T-F" phrase was hate-speech now(!?)

Many people not only hold beliefs but strongly identify with, or even define themselves by them. An "attack" (real or perceived) on the belief is taken as an attack on themselves. When speaking to someone you know, or at least in person, you can get a sense of that and choose to moderate yourself (or not). Online "conversation" is another matter; you never know how your message is being received and processed. You're not speaking in a one-to-one situation; everyone occupying a spot on every Bell-Curve can see it.
If "Tin Foil Hat" is hate speech than "They" should also be considered hate speech. As in "They are keeping it from us" and "They would never let us know".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal