Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 03:01 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
It's probably just that I have a very active imagination, have read too much and am overly dramatic, and most importantly, these events are not about me and should not be. But when 9/11 occurred I was in Texas and as those buildings fell, I somehow connected with the people in them, and a wave of human feelings of fear, terror, souls leaving bodies, sort of washed over me that evening. It was like all of that traveled from its origin and came in a wave across the country. I could feel the stories of the buildings falling. And today, I feel the feelings of those immigrant children down south of here, separated from their parents. I'm overwhelmed with tears. It's the strangest experience.

I wonder if this business of being an empath is genuine or just another internet scam. Certainly there are a lot of web sites about it, but many of those sites sell products, books and courses and such.

Do my experiences, described above, seem odd or unusual?
Just curious---did you have those feelings on 911 before knowing about it, or after hearing about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 04:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just curious---did you have those feelings on 911 before knowing about it, or after hearing about it?
It happened in the morning and I got those feelings in the evening, before it got dark. Maybe around 5:00. Why?

Old 06-21-2018, 09:31 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Maybe some reading about quantum entanglement? I have found the discoveries in quantum mechanics to be helpful in shedding light on what we call ESP.

In the Eighties it was popular for a group of acquaintances to take training from a psychic in the Twin Cities, Echo Bodine. Everybody was doing mind-reading, past lives, etc. I'm not sure what they were all paying.

It would have been fun to join in out of curiosity but I'm protective of my sensitivities and cautious of opening myself to a lot of woo for profit. Sounds like what you are saying, Kara.

I don't think it's unusual for highly sensitive people to have some confusion about whose feelings they are experiencing and I also think it's psychologically sound to develop an ability to differentiate between "mine" and "theirs." Sometimes we share feelings, too.

I like to be on steady ground about what's mine for obvious reasons. I don't take well to someone else telling me which are which. Sounds a lot like psychotherapy, doesn't it?

"I think you are feeling sad ." "What! Who, me?" Thanks for the suggestion. I'll think about it.

I think if a person is diligent in their examination of these experiences and they are not mentally impaired they can get in the habit of differentiation. If they have some psychological issues in the way there is a degree of risk for them.

It's good to be respectful of feelings and clear about their origin if we are going to depend upon them for our road map.
I read a book by Echo Bodine (it HAS to be the same one, lol.) It was called Awakening Your Intuition. I did some of the basic, simple exercises she put forth, and they were pretty effective. I still use them.

Don't know about the other things you mentioned. Not sure our intuition is woo as much as it is an underused natural part of our humanity.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
Quote:
Well, not to be confrontational, but saying something ("There are empaths") doesn't make it true. Some evidence would be nice.

I took three of the tests online, offered by different companies; one said I was not, one said I probably was and one said I definitely was.
Ok . . . believe what you will. I was just giving my OPINION.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:37 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
It happened in the morning and I got those feelings in the evening, before it got dark. Maybe around 5:00. Why?
I found this interesting. I am a person who was in the WTC (One) on 9/11. I remember reading a story about a young woman who went to bed that night in Queens, in shock like all New Yorkers. She woke in the middle of the night surrounded by people, mostly in business suits, who seemed to be trying to get her attention and say something to her. She believes she was somehow visited by the souls of the dead who were trying to get messages to their loved ones through her.

It could be something she made up, of course, but it didn't seem so to me in the way the story was told.

Your story reminds me a bit of that.

For what it's worth, at the moment in time that AA11 slammed into us, hundreds of people on the plane and on the floors 500 feet above me died. Although my immediate conscious thought was that I might be facing the moment of my death and that I needed to run, there remains a sensation in my psyche that something opened up, a portal through which those souls went. It has never really closed. I have one foot on the other side.

When we are in the vicinity of death, it impacts us. It may be that you did not have to be in the vicinity to feel the impact. Or perhaps you felt, as the woman in Queens did, attempts to make contact through you.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I found this interesting. I am a person who was in the WTC (One) on 9/11. I remember reading a story about a young woman who went to bed that night in Queens, in shock like all New Yorkers. She woke in the middle of the night surrounded by people, mostly in business suits, who seemed to be trying to get her attention and say something to her. She believes she was somehow visited by the souls of the dead who were trying to get messages to their loved ones through her.

It could be something she made up, of course, but it didn't seem so to me in the way the story was told.

Your story reminds me a bit of that.

For what it's worth, at the moment in time that AA11 slammed into us, hundreds of people on the plane and on the floors 500 feet above me died. Although my immediate conscious thought was that I might be facing the moment of my death and that I needed to run, there remains a sensation in my psyche that something opened up, a portal through which those souls went. It has never really closed. I have one foot on the other side.

When we are in the vicinity of death, it impacts us. It may be that you did not have to be in the vicinity to feel the impact. Or perhaps you felt, as the woman in Queens did, attempts to make contact through you.
Thank you so much for sharing that; it is an honor to encounter someone who was there. For all my posing as a sceptic, the experience was very real and I do not feel it was a product of my imagination. Just because I feel it was supernatural, doesn't mean it was, however.

The best way to describe it: like everyone, I was exhausted by the day's events, lay down to rest, and was hit by a cloud of fearful emotions, the sounds of human screams, and the sounds of a heavy building falling, story by story. It was a cloud that, I think, moved from the origin of the event, across the country. I would be surprised if other people did not encounter it.

I am glad you survived, sorry you had to endure the experience. I wonder how it has effected your life. I've acquired a number of seminal books on the event, but cannot bear to read them yet. May never be able to.

I attended Manhattan School of Music in the early '70's (I'm a violinist) and lived in New York. I walked by the WTC once and thought, I'll never go into that building, even if I get a gig there. Terrorists had already attempted to bring the building down by setting off a bomb in the basement of the parking garage--I don't remember the details. But clearly this was a target, I thought at the time.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 06-22-2018 at 06:10 AM..

Old 06-22-2018, 07:46 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I read a book by Echo Bodine (it HAS to be the same one, lol.) It was called Awakening Your Intuition. I did some of the basic, simple exercises she put forth, and they were pretty effective. I still use them.

Don't know about the other things you mentioned. Not sure our intuition is woo as much as it is an underused natural part of our humanity.
Yeah. I don't believe intuition is woo. To be more clear, when people try to sell you help with YOUR intuition then you have to watch out for woo. And your pocketbook.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Yeah. I don't believe intuition is woo. To be more clear, when people try to sell you help with YOUR intuition then you have to watch out for woo. And your pocketbook.
woo?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:41 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
I dunno, just going out on a limb here, but I imagine possibly millions of people had strong and disquieting emotions 8 hours after the planes hit WTC. Doesn't seem particularly "unexplainable" or indicative of something unique.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:08 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
It's probably just that I have a very active imagination, have read too much and am overly dramatic, and most importantly, these events are not about me and should not be. But when 9/11 occurred I was in Texas and as those buildings fell, I somehow connected with the people in them, and a wave of human feelings of fear, terror, souls leaving bodies, sort of washed over me that evening. It was like all of that traveled from its origin and came in a wave across the country. I could feel the stories of the buildings falling. And today, I feel the feelings of those immigrant children down south of here, separated from their parents. I'm overwhelmed with tears. It's the strangest experience.

I wonder if this business of being an empath is genuine or just another internet scam. Certainly there are a lot of web sites about it, but many of those sites sell products, books and courses and such.

Do my experiences, described above, seem odd or unusual?
Did you have those feelings over the past dozen+ years, every day every year, when the same things were happening?

If not, you watch too much TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal