Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
No way. Most police hate psychics as do most forensic investigators.
Are psychics used? Absolutely. They do occasionally help.
But almost always they are hired by a missing or dead persons' family.
Police might elect to use them in high profile cases that cannot end but that they have no leads on.
I know someone who did this ("helped" on cases). As this poster here is saying, they would only call on him as an absolute last resort. He was very good-natured about it...he said he was the police's dirty little secret, LOL...but if they ever called, he came in. He didn't get paid anything and he didn't achieve any notoriety through it, and he never "advertised" his services or anything...the only reason I knew about it was that he was my aunt and uncle's best friend and any time they had a party or celebration, this man and his wife would be invited, so over time, I found out about it.

Obviously, this guy believed in himself--he wasn't trying to scam anybody. I mean he literally got nothing out of it, as I said, and day-to-day he was a "normal" person with a regular job and all that. Even if he was fooling himself, somehow, he was right. I wouldn't discount the possibility of there being real psychics out there. I just don't think Miss Cleo or Sylvia Browne or any of the "pay me hundreds of dollars" people are. I mean with no emotional involvement, etc., and dealing with dozens of people per day, how could you possibly just "turn it on"?

So, yes, there are scam artists. Dozens upon dozens upon dozens of them. And I believe at the same time, there are actual psychics. And the chance of any of us running into a real psychic, and knowing it or getting any benefit out of it, are very, very, very slim, because from what I saw of my aunt and uncle's friend, they're pretty much embarrassed about it, realize it's something that needs to be hidden, afraid of being called kooks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 07:28 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
not to go off on a tangent but i love how this is related to the psycology of humans, seems like we are genetically predisposed for self-delusion.

A cool experiment that i saw not too long ago was with a guy holding 2 pictures of very similar people on top of a black pad. They guy would then ask a series of participants to choose which picture he liked the most and then the guy would give it to them.

Of course the trick was that there was a copy of the other picture behind each one and the back of the picture in the front was coloured black. This meant that the guy could then give the person the wrong picture without them noticing.

The results showed that the person didn't notice that the picture they had was in fact not the one they selected. Their minds just couldn't comprehend the mistake so it just assumed it had chosen the other one. So when asked why he/she chose that one over the other, they would use a series of reasons despite the fact that they actually had chosen the other.

Truly this is a paradise for conmen and bliss for he who lacks skepticism

Old 03-30-2008, 03:20 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Psychics are phony. Being that I'm a magic fan and have always been involved in the art of it, I know pretty much every trick psychics use to trick people.

By the way, the roles of psychics in cases are usually exaggerated. Sylvia Browne said she was needed to solve a case, but the police who solved the case said all she did was show up. Not really any help at all.
Some may be exaggerated, yet others have been deeply involoved in solving cases. I do believe in psychics, even the Bible speaks of them. They are people who have contact with demons. Demons have much information at their disposal. And often they know many things about people that are both alive, and dead. Many think that psychics just use the power of the mind, but in reality, they are useing evil to impress non believers of the other side. They do this to open their minds to other options, yet these options rarley involve God. Psychics can only solve a crime if they are given enought information, and that amount of information is limited to what the spirit or demon is willing to share with them. The Bible strictly forbids this type of activity, yet a number of the people who are involved in this don't seem to care about the Bibles warnings, so they just ignore them.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:36 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Some may be exaggerated, yet others have been deeply involoved in solving cases. I do believe in psychics, even the Bible speaks of them. They are people who have contact with demons. Demons have much information at their disposal. And often they know many things about people that are both alive, and dead. Many think that psychics just use the power of the mind, but in reality, they are useing evil to impress non believers of the other side. They do this to open their minds to other options, yet these options rarley involve God. Psychics can only solve a crime if they are given enought information, and that amount of information is limited to what the spirit or demon is willing to share with them. The Bible strictly forbids this type of activity, yet a number of the people who are involved in this don't seem to care about the Bibles warnings, so they just ignore them.
I can't find one case in which a psychic was responsible for it being solved. Trust me, I'm a fan of magic and psychology. I can watch and psychic on TV and tell you what technique they're doing to get their information.

And atheists are the least likely to believe in psychics. We are all human, and to think that a handful of humans possess the ability to pick up knowledge without reading or observing things themselves is just crazy. Nobody claiming psychic power could impress me, because I know all their tricks. Every single one.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I can't find one case in which a psychic was responsible for it being solved. Trust me, I'm a fan of magic and psychology. I can watch and psychic on TV and tell you what technique they're doing to get their information.

And atheists are the least likely to believe in psychics. We are all human, and to think that a handful of humans possess the ability to pick up knowledge without reading or observing things themselves is just crazy. Nobody claiming psychic power could impress me, because I know all their tricks. Every single one.
Well it took me a full 20 seconds to find ten cases that involove police useing psychics to help them solve crimes. And just because you don't want to believe in such activities, is really no good reason for you to ignore obvious facts.

Police do use psychic detectives

Old 03-31-2008, 05:31 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
Campbell34 wrote:
Quote:
Well it took me a full 20 seconds to find ten cases that involove police useing psychics to help them solve crimes.
I couldn't help but notice that your source of information was someone who was trying to present evidence for the existence of the afterlife. That's not a reliable source of information. There is a massive amount of information on the internet on every conceivable subject and unfortunately alot of it is not very realiable. As I mentioned earlier the FBI is unaware of any cases that have been solved by a psychic and I suspect that they're probably a better source of information than the link you provided. It's really very simple, if psychics could really do what they claim every branch of law enforcement would be actively recruiting them.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Campbell34 wrote:

I couldn't help but notice that your source of information was someone who was trying to present evidence for the existence of the afterlife. That's not a reliable source of information. There is a massive amount of information on the internet on every conceivable subject and unfortunately alot of it is not very realiable. As I mentioned earlier the FBI is unaware of any cases that have been solved by a psychic and I suspect that they're probably a better source of information than the link you provided. It's really very simple, if psychics could really do what they claim every branch of law enforcement would be actively recruiting them.
Well the fact is, the articles gave the names of the officers and departments they were working from, so it would be easy to dismiss them if they were not factual. And I don't think you can dismiss everything on the internet as not being realiable. There is enought information for us to come to a reasonable conclusion, that yes, the CIA, and the FBI have used psychics for their purposes. And as I have stated, psychics can only pass on the information that they have been given, which sometimes is not enought to solve a crime.

This is from the World Net Daily. By Anthony C. LoBaido
He states in this article, that the U.S. government has a long history of promoting and funding paranormal operations.
According to the London Sunday Times Nov.11 it states that remote viewers have been recruited by the U.S. government, the FBI, and CIA. And has advised their investigators to think outside of the box.

Here is an interesting link on the CIA's psychic program, and what their remote viewers were able to accomplish.
Inside the CIA's psychic program

Psychics are not always 100% correct, yet often they do fill the bill for the U.S. Government. And that is why they have used them. Tal Brooke, president of the Spiritual Counterfeits Project, a Berkeley research organization and think tank, understands the government's attraction to using psychic spies: "It's a no-brainer for the CIA to use them. These psychic spies presumably can go where no spy has gone before and leave no footprints. The CIA are opportunists, so they say, "If it works, do it."
Brooke added, however, that remote viewing is definitely occult.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:32 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
The fact that the govt. spies investigated using psychics to see if they really could find out secrets isn't surprising. If it were possible, what a great coup that would be and at no physical risk. The fact that they discontinued the program speaks volumes. If it worked, they would be using it still. Montanaguy is right "It's really very simple, if psychics could really do what they claim every branch of law enforcement would be actively recruiting them."

As for whether the handful of claims of success are real, the legions of failures makes it at best an unreliable method for gathering information. Every now and then, even a blind chicken gets a grain of corn.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:42 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,384,603 times
I personally know some forensic scientists who have seen evidence that psychics can help solve missing persons cases.

Now, they don't "believe" in psychic abilities but they can't deny that info given to the investigation by psychics (who have no connection to the case at all, obviously) sometimes pushes things forward and can lead to a solution when there was literally nothing else to go on.
Is that a coincidence every time? Perhaps. The psychics say it's because they are psychic and they believe that.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:10 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I personally know some forensic scientists who have seen evidence that psychics can help solve missing persons cases.

Now, they don't "believe" in psychic abilities but they can't deny that info given to the investigation by psychics (who have no connection to the case at all, obviously) sometimes pushes things forward and can lead to a solution when there was literally nothing else to go on.
Is that a coincidence every time? Perhaps. The psychics say it's because they are psychic and they believe that.
Or it could be that they get a fresh and different look at the case and come up with another angle that sometimes pans out.

How many times have you not been able to figure out something after working on it really hard? Then after giving up, the solution will come to you out of the blue while you were thinking of something entirely different? Is this psychic? No, it's just that you get a fresh look and suddenly a different angle shows the solution. I believe this is the source of intuition.

If the clues and evidence weren't actually there and there all along, no conviction could ever be made for these criminals. (This is always the story line for "Medium" - she points out where to find the clues and evidence.)

It's just that when put to a real test, the so-called psychic ability doesn't work over random chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal