U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2008, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 17,442,980 times
Reputation: 5495

Advertisements

There's been a whole series of programs on television about so called psychic detectives who claim they have the ability to sense certain events about crimes that have taken place, locate people who are missing, or somehow aid law enforcement in solving an investigation. Because of the spiritual aspect of the subject I thought it would be appropriate for this forum. For myself, I think it's a complete load of rubbish and I believe that many of these individuals are seeking to gain publicity and become a sort of celebrity. Here's my problem with the whole thing, we're always hearing about someone who's been reported as missing and foul play is suspected. If any one of these psychic detectives could actually locate this individual and the person responsible for a crime why don't they do it? If a police department really had someone who had miraculously solved a major crime they would be setting up a psychic unit just like their forensic team, their investigators, and all of the other groups that perform various tasks for law enforcement. In fact the psychic unit would probably be the first ones on the scene with the detectives especially in cases that involve abductions and there's hope that the victim could still be alive. Well of course none of this is happening in police stations across the country. Instead we're just seeing dramatized versions of supposedly real events that are being put on television and competing with other programs for ratings. So that's my opinion, what do you think about these psychic detectives?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2008, 05:36 PM
 
7,870 posts, read 11,183,763 times
Reputation: 3648
My dear, sweet man:

As you know, June works somewhere where she has regular, ongoing contact with a police chief. Yes, they do utilize psychics upon occassion, and yes, they have been quite instrumental in helping solve crimes. I heard this "from the horse's mouth."

On your next visit, when we honeymoon on the beach, I will introduce you to this person, yourself. You can ask.

Last edited by june 7th; 03-29-2008 at 05:53 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 05:40 PM
 
4,898 posts, read 17,239,476 times
Reputation: 3838
i love those shows! and i really believe that the police depts do utilize psychics. i think they try to solve the case themselves and if they get stumped ask for help from a psychic they may have "on staff".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 17,442,980 times
Reputation: 5495
June wrote:
Quote:
As you know, June works somewhere where she has regular, ongoing contact with a police chief. Yes, they do utilize psychics upon occassion, and yes, they have been quite instrumental in helping solve crimes. I heard this "from the horse's mouth."
Oh my darling, now I'm worried about you! Just think about this for a minute. If there is a number of gifted individuals in this country who actually have the ability to defy the laws of nature and somehow journey into the spirit world in order to solve crimes then they're not doing a very good job. For the record, the FBI and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children state that they have no knowledge of a psychic ever solving a single case. The FBI doesn't use psychic investigators and they're the cream of the crop in terms of American law enforcement. It doesn't surprise me that a local law enforcement official might resort to such tactics but people who have studied the results of the psychic's abilities state that they're not able to verify any of the wild claims that are made on these tv shows. These programs are for entertainment, nothing more. If these psychics could do what they claim they'd be the most highly paid and elite unit of law enforcement in the world.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 06:11 PM
 
Location: An absurd world.
5,165 posts, read 8,555,152 times
Reputation: 2014
Psychics are phony. Being that I'm a magic fan and have always been involved in the art of it, I know pretty much every trick psychics use to trick people.

By the way, the roles of psychics in cases are usually exaggerated. Sylvia Browne said she was needed to solve a case, but the police who solved the case said all she did was show up. Not really any help at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 06:36 PM
 
Location: An absurd world.
5,165 posts, read 8,555,152 times
Reputation: 2014
Here is a nice little gem from Derren Brown, a psychological illusionist.


YouTube - Derren Brown shows how mediums work

Notice what he says at the beginning: "You will watch this knowing that I am a fake, and if that makes you uncomfortable, well, that's sort of my point."


YouTube - Jim Callahan

Just thought I'd throw that video in too. It was from that reality show "Phenomenon", which was a show searching for the next big mentalist (someone who does magic that includes "mindreading", "spoon bending", or something similar). Of course, these things are fake and nothing but showmanship and trickery, but this guy is supposedly a paranormalist and a psychic. That is Criss Angel (A magician. Has a show on A&E called Mindfreak.) who calls him out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 06:49 PM
 
7,870 posts, read 11,183,763 times
Reputation: 3648
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
June wrote:

Oh my darling, now I'm worried about you! Just think about this for a minute. If there is a number of gifted individuals in this country who actually have the ability to defy the laws of nature and somehow journey into the spirit world in order to solve crimes then they're not doing a very good job. For the record, the FBI and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children state that they have no knowledge of a psychic ever solving a single case. The FBI doesn't use psychic investigators and they're the cream of the crop in terms of American law enforcement. It doesn't surprise me that a local law enforcement official might resort to such tactics but people who have studied the results of the psychic's abilities state that they're not able to verify any of the wild claims that are made on these tv shows. These programs are for entertainment, nothing more. If these psychics could do what they claim they'd be the most highly paid and elite unit of law enforcement in the world.
Don't worry about me, my love. I am giving myself a mental status exam as we speak...I believe I am still oriented x3.

--But I will ask the individual that I referred to, above, when I see them this week. What was interesting was the fact that this person mentioned the use of psychics just this past week...



P.S. Does this mean the honeymoon's off?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 17,442,980 times
Reputation: 5495
June wrote:
Quote:
P.S. Does this mean the honeymoon's off?
Of course not! It just means that we can have intellectual debates when we're not involved in other activities!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Mississippi
6,715 posts, read 12,667,928 times
Reputation: 4301
I have to agree with Montana. After all, Natalie Holloway has been missing for something like three years now. You'd think that psychics would be digging her grave up and pointing to the murderers.

No one knows who really killed Jon Benet Ramsey. I think that'd be a perfect experiment to test the abilities of this psychic ability.

Natalee Smart was abducted from her home and lived with some cultish freakazoid guy for almost a year. And that was less than a few miles from her home.

In all of these cases, if psychic work REALLY worked I'd suspect that it'd be employed by the FBI as well to solve some of their most difficult cases. In fact, maybe they'd employ them to find out where Osama Bin Laden is. I'm pretty sure the CIA ran the full gamut on psychics during the Cold War. If there were any validity to it, we'd be using them for everything from unsolved murders to finding out where Osama Bin Laden is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 07:23 PM
 
Location: An absurd world.
5,165 posts, read 8,555,152 times
Reputation: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I have to agree with Montana. After all, Natalie Holloway has been missing for something like three years now. You'd think that psychics would be digging her grave up and pointing to the murderers.

No one knows who really killed Jon Benet Ramsey. I think that'd be a perfect experiment to test the abilities of this psychic ability.

Natalee Smart was abducted from her home and lived with some cultish freakazoid guy for almost a year. And that was less than a few miles from her home.

In all of these cases, if psychic work REALLY worked I'd suspect that it'd be employed by the FBI as well to solve some of their most difficult cases. In fact, maybe they'd employ them to find out where Osama Bin Laden is. I'm pretty sure the CIA ran the full gamut on psychics during the Cold War. If there were any validity to it, we'd be using them for everything from unsolved murders to finding out where Osama Bin Laden is.
Agreed. Not to mention, James Randi still has his million dollar challenge for anybody who can demonstrate anything that is supernatural. Sylvia Browne said she would take it, but never did. Same with others. By the way, have you ever watched Penn and Teller's Bull@$#%? ESP and talking to the dead have been covered on numerous episodes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top