Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 06:34 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
No it's not a "relatively new phenomena". Witches have used cats & dogs as 'familiars' for a very long time because of their ability to sense spirits. For a very, very long time.
I think TV and movies have had a far greater effect. What you are describing is different than normal animals seeing ghosts. The familiars themselves were generally thought of to be supernatural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 05:47 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Assuming that spirits exist (I have never sensed or seen one and neither has anyone I know). Since cats and dogs can't talk to us, how do we know they can sense spirits? Please don't say you know because your dog or cat bark or hiss at empty space.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:41 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
When we cannot see what is going on, we feel out of control and we become afraid. Thats a natural reaction.

Your daughter is not stupid and she is probably freaking out as much as you are so maybe you both need to accept something weird is going on.

The TV does not turn itself on/off by itself, and socks do not move along with the wind and sunglasses do not jump down the back of the TV on their own.

However, as Marino says, it does not look as if it is nasty but merely being playful perhaps. So you have 4 choices, 1) move her out 2) accept it as if it comes with the apartment, talk to it and see what happens. Try bringing in flowers perhaps? 3) ignore it as if nothing is happening. 4) get it evicted.

You cannot tell what has happened in that apartment prior to your daughter moving in so some other girls/residents may have opened a door to the other side which might not be properly closed.
Look just because you haven't had these experiences does not mean they aren't real.

I've seen a TV turn on by itself. I have also posted in this forum about a ghost in my bedroom. For the past 12 years it will flick my bedroom furniture handles. It got so bad that I had to put socks on all the handles. It looks ridiculous but at least I can sleep at night.

I agree with some of what you are saying but to say any paranormal is all in someone's head seems very condescending.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:32 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
You seem to assume that things that people on TV or in movies stay compartmentalized and do not enter popular culture.

Pets responding to something you do not see is not proof of the supernatural. The pet may hear something that you do not that is possibly outside the house and reacting to that.

Thanks for the lecture, it was highly amusing.
You're doing a bit of lecturing yourself.

I don't recall anyone arguing that it was "proof," simply something that might validate the original claim. That the idea of animals seeing ghosts/spirits has seeped into popular culture, or vice versa, does not make the proposition any more or less plausible.

And, frankly, while we're on this subject of "proof," I might be moved to run down a whole list of things you and I take for granted, like our consciousness to the existence of something called "love," to individual will, to any number of things for which there is no "proof." You'll notice that something like mathematics even rests upon some assumptions/starting points/propositions we simply accept as true or that science itself cannot be validated by the scientific method.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:37 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,685 times
Quote:
No it's not a "relatively new phenomena". Witches have used cats & dogs as 'familiars' for a very long time because of their ability to sense spirits. For a very, very long time.
You're arguing with someone who has very dogmatic and inflexible beliefs.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:14 PM

914 posts, read 642,922 times
Quote:
No, nothing to worry about.
It sounds like a spirit (who is just a person who've lost their physical body) who intends no harm.
Many spirits like to stir up the inhabitants by flicking lights on/off or in interfering with TVs or radios but this one isn't even doing that.

Many people find it helps to acknowledge the resident spirit by simply saying 'Hi Fred/Wilma' (my sense is it's female) when they come home or when the dog growls say 'It's ok, it's just Fred/Wilma'.
People who do this who've experienced things like cold spots, lights flickering for e.g., find that it stops once they start acknowledging the spirits presence.
As your daughter isn't experiencing anything that could be remotely described as negative, it would not only be a nice gesture but it hopefully would help put your daughter at ease.
you sound like you're a subject matter expert on this. Might I ask you a question?

How do I prevent myself from causing such discomfort when I pass on? I don't want to be a "playful" spirit scaring the bejeezus out of innocent people. In other words, why do people do this to others after their life passes? It's not a positive thing.

thoughts?

Old 08-29-2018, 09:44 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Quote:
Witches have used cats & dogs as 'familiars' for a very long time because of their ability to sense spirits. For a very, very long time.
I suspect that these animals were the eyes of the witch for those who could do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1
Since cats and dogs can't talk to us, how do we know they can sense spirits? Please don't say you know because your dog or cat bark or hiss at empty space.
We have spent hundreds of years breeding our senses out of us, animals have not lost that ability. It is well known to people who have pets, that they do not usually start looking into space where there is nothing going on. When they do that, it is not cocking their ear to hear a sound (that is done sometimes, but is different) or admiring the wallpaper. Owners know their own pet's characters. Maybe if you had/have a pet, you have missed this part of the experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66
I agree with some of what you are saying but to say any paranormal is all in someone's head seems very condescending.
OK Sandra, then how do you perceive what you know to be true? You receive it through your brain right? I believe our brain is a receiver of energy and different brains have the ability to receive and filter energies of different types. So, yes let's realise the truth of this - your 'head' is the ONLY place you can receive these impressions. (although you may get 'gut feelings' too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Settled00
How do I prevent myself from causing such discomfort when I pass on? I don't want to be a "playful" spirit scaring the bejeezus out of innocent people. In other words, why do people do this to others after their life passes? It's not a positive thing.
Assuming there is an afterlife of some kind, which I do. If I were to answer this, I would say that folk do not choose to remain in an area and not move on to 'somewhere'. I would say they have an attachment to the place they stay and the attachment may take many years before they realise it is useless to hang around. Read some of the books by Michael Newton for example, who has done research into between lives and other lives we live.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:30 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
We have spent hundreds of years breeding our senses out of us, animals have not lost that ability.
As far as I know, there is absolutely no genetic or historical evidence that our senses are any different today than they were in Shakespeare's day. Or at the time of the Norman Conquest or earlier.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:34 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
As far as I know, there is absolutely no genetic or historical evidence that our senses are any different today than they were in Shakespeare's day. Or at the time of the Norman Conquest or earlier.
We've been suppressing our intuitive faculties, though. After 500 years of the Inquisition, then the "Enlightenment", on top of that, rationality won out, in the Western world, and intuition, and other means of knowing were purged, and labeled "woo", and scoffed at. Our senses are more narrowly-defined, than before.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:15 AM

919 posts, read 609,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
you sound like you're a subject matter expert on this. Might I ask you a question?

thoughts?
Sorry, only just saw your post (a rep brought me back, lol)

The more I learnt, the more I realised that it's a vast world where one needs to be an Adept to be an 'expert'. There's just so many possibilities on the 'other side'.

But for what it's worth; How we progress when we pass over depends very much on two things; awareness & intent.
Many suffer what some would call a state of shock because it's very much outside of our sphere of (remembered) experience.
Those who pass over without fear & with awareness, usually have a smooth passage.

The worst state of mind to be in when passing over, is to fear what's waiting for us.
In my experience, many fear to go to the Light because they wrongly believe that an angry, vengeful God is waiting to sh#t on them from a great height.

Spirits who hang around in an attempt to contact loved ones, are often just trying to show that they survived physical death & that they're ok.

Many spirits who aren't connected to residents of a dwelling, are quite often stirred up because they've been disturbed or don't like the activities of the inhabitants.

There's little danger of being a 'playful' spirit unintentionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal