U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 12:46 PM

6,217 posts, read 4,893,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I believe I read that the pilot and co-pilot have their own oxygen supply. Of course if the co-pilot was locked out of the cabin then he could not reach his supply.
Or if the pilot killed the co-pilot, then put on his oxygen mask and depressurized the rest of the plane.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-19-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Thank you for that. I was looking for wired, as I thought if any one had the skinny on it, it would be their publication. However, all it says to me is, if a person (hackers) has the right tools.

1. Communications was lost
2. People are passed out (lack of oxygen) on the plane (would include pilot and co-pilot)
3. Plane left radar detection
Reread carefully the section in the Wired article titled "A Teller of Tales?". He's either fooling himself or trying to claim "street cred" by convincing others he committed a first class exploit. I still think he's full of beans.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:02 AM

14,496 posts, read 21,099,430 times
Quote:
Yes, lets wait it out for them to edit the reports, create their narrative and supply the official docs that support it.

How a Hacker Could Hijack an Airplane From Their Seat
One - The "hacking" theory has nothing to do with the "holes" in radar that you discussed previous. These are unrelated. There are no "holes" in the radar and there are no conflicts with your hacking theory.

Two - it's just too easy to call everything a "conspiracy". Every bit of evidence and support we can present can just be dismissed with "conspiracy, hiding the evidence". No, that doesn't work. You have evidence of what happened, the official report, or evidence of the conspiracy. Provide it and and we can review it. But just calling everything we present a "conspiracy" is a cop-out to the discussion. It's a losers way out of a debate.

Three - "Hacking". I actually presented this as a possible cause earlier in this thread. It doesn't conflict with what happened, radar reports or anything, or the fact that it crashed in the south Indian Ocean. Could have been some crazy hacker just seeing if he can actually do it. Official reports say no that it could not happen. But I will entertain the theory.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:46 AM

5,170 posts, read 3,833,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Two - it's just too easy to call everything a "conspiracy". Every bit of evidence and support we can present can just be dismissed with "conspiracy, hiding the evidence". No, that doesn't work. You have evidence of what happened, the official report, or evidence of the conspiracy. Provide it and and we can review it. But just calling everything we present a "conspiracy" is a cop-out to the discussion. It's a losers way out of a debate.
I agree with this. People claim conspiracy, ask for increasingly specific proof, deny to provide any themselves and claim they are right. This is just a tool to allow the least intelligent to feel intelligent. It is the ultimate field leveler.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:01 AM

13,162 posts, read 5,850,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Reread carefully the section in the Wired article titled "A Teller of Tales?". He's either fooling himself or trying to claim "street cred" by convincing others he committed a first class exploit. I still think he's full of beans.
Like you I think that guy is full of beans ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
One - The "hacking" theory has nothing to do with the "holes" in radar that you discussed previous. These are unrelated. There are no "holes" in the radar and there are no conflicts with your hacking theory.

Three - "Hacking". I actually presented this as a possible cause earlier in this thread. It doesn't conflict with what happened, radar reports or anything, or the fact that it crashed in the south Indian Ocean. Could have been some crazy hacker just seeing if he can actually do it. Official reports say no that it could not happen. But I will entertain the theory.
A hacker would need to be aware of the 'holes' and have a really good understanding of how to manipulate the aircraft. May be that alone says, no one person could pull that off by themselves.

Black Hats share code ... eventually some one has something workable. There was a show in CBS that aired called 'CSI:Cyber' the show was canceled, I thought the writer was insightful.

Any way I don't believe I have said anything about a conspiracy ... From the first I heard about it my first thought was a hacker or a group of hackers ... then I thought, how can any one in this day and time with our tracking technology make a plane just disappear. It was a friend of mine that said ... there are holes.

All of our posts (excluding the op) are pure conjecture on all our parts, because all of us are entertaining ideas.

It took 70 years for the Titanic to be found, so this could go on for eons.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Like you I think that guy is full of beans ...

A hacker would need to be aware of the 'holes' and have a really good understanding of how to manipulate the aircraft. May be that alone says, no one person could pull that off by themselves.

Black Hats share code ... eventually some one has something workable. There was a show in CBS that aired called 'CSI:Cyber' the show was canceled, I thought the writer was insightful.
For those interested in getting into the hairy details of how this is done, see Hugo Tesso's explanation of how he claims he can hack into airplane avionics (link to his presentation is in the article). He basically bought a used training system on Ebay.

https://www.securityweek.com/faa-dis...reators-claims

Going back to the Wired article on Roberts, it says:

Quote:
He says he asked Roberts pointblank if he had ever taken control of a plane inflight. "[H]e said no. He said things that would lead me to believe that he did it in simulation, not in a real aircraft," Exner says.
The simulation (if that's what he did) would have been done with parts from Ebay (like what Tesso did) and software or scripts of Roberts' devising. But the killer for me is: if it's one-way communication from the avionics system to the entertainment system, there's zero possibility of sending commands to the avionics system. In simple terms, you can't send email to an account that doesn't exist. Even if Roberts bought the hardware for a used avionics training system and a used entertainment system on Ebay, he wouldn't be able to hack the avionics from the entertainment system because there would be no way to send data from the entertainment system to avionics.

"[H]e said no" in the above paragraph is a polite way of saying he was lying when he claimed he did so.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:00 AM

7,168 posts, read 4,962,208 times
In the end I suppose someone will find the aircraft as underwater detection and salvage technology advances. Even a large commercial aircraft that crashes into oceans, jungles and mountain tops is virtually lost and undetectable.

Certainly in the end these paranormal and conspiracy theory explanations will be put to rest and a real world answer will reveal a mechanical and or human error that led to this tragedy. Military aircraft and Navy warships that disappeared in WW II are still being located.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:31 PM

7,135 posts, read 4,135,524 times
Ellis Bell: When you speak of "holes", are you talking about holes, or missing data, in radar coverage, or do you mean "worm holes"? I'm hoping it's the former.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:47 PM

18,374 posts, read 15,101,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
In the end I suppose someone will find the aircraft as underwater detection and salvage technology advances. Even a large commercial aircraft that crashes into oceans, jungles and mountain tops is virtually lost and undetectable.

Certainly in the end these paranormal and conspiracy theory explanations will be put to rest and a real world answer will reveal a mechanical and or human error that led to this tragedy. Military aircraft and Navy warships that disappeared in WW II are still being located.

Think of all the lost civilizations recently found because of LIDAR. The concept had been around for a long time; but it took advances in technology to make it the useful tool it is today.

With all the salvage jobs in our oceans, that remain mainly unexplored, there is enough financial interest to develop better tools. Of course the militaries all over the world also want better tools as nations become smarter with their stealth technology.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:37 PM

14,496 posts, read 21,099,430 times
Quote:
Any way I don't believe I have said anything about a conspiracy ... From the first I heard about it my first thought was a hacker or a group of hackers ... then I thought, how can any one in this day and time with our tracking technology make a plane just disappear. It was a friend of mine that said ... there are holes.

All of our posts (excluding the op) are pure conjecture on all our parts, because all of us are entertaining ideas.

It took 70 years for the Titanic to be found, so this could go on for eons.
In regards to conspiracy, you kinda did with the comment: "Yes, lets wait it out for them to edit the reports, create their narrative and supply the official docs that support it.". This implies someone knows something of a factual nature and is refusing to disclose it for some reason, then changing the facts - textbook conspiracy.

Anyways I am open to the hacking theory as, was stated, it does not conflict with what we know in regards to the path. Basically, we know WHAT happened, we just don't know the WHY. Hey there are lots of very smart hackers out there, i'm open to the idea that it could be done by someone that knew of ways that other, even the government, does not know. Hubris can explain alot of why something was not investigated further. Not conspiracy, just ignorance, pride, and lack of knowledge.
Someone could have just done it just as a kick to see if it could be done, or it could be, as they say "bad actors". Let's hear more.

In regards to the Titanic. Interesting show I watched the other day. It's disappearing. The dark cold depths do not protect it. Those that saw it in the 90s are astounded at the change 20 years later. Deep sea microbes are literally eating it, and eventually it will just be gone. Let's hope the same does not occur to the wreck before we find it. However, given that it probably was destroyed into many parts when it hit the ocean (we know this because parts of the interior were found, suggesting a violent impact), and it had a mile or so to travel before it hit the ocean floor in scattered pieces, with other floating away at random variabilities of the ocean current, I fear that many parts are lost and/or scatterd to such a degree that it may never be found.

Last edited by Dd714; 08-20-2018 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.