Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 08:45 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I have a theory that energy can create strange effects in our world and anomalous energy can manifest anywhere. Not related to your experience perhaps, but there are other theories which some people believe, which suggest there are portals which appear in different places at different times. These can cause people and things to pop through both ways from this reality to other realities and might explain why some people disappear or why some strange animals/beasts are seen occasionally. Maybe some of the cryptids which are experienced by folks can come through for a while and then go back?

The dust devils on Mars which NASA has shown us in videos, I believe are not caused by the wind because I do not see the dust and debris piled up behind rocks.

A lot of speculation in this post.
There are numerous pictures of the sand dunes on Mars, which include "dust piled up behind rocks". Not sure what you mean by "debris". The air on Mars is very thin, so there's not much force behind the wind, but it's strong enough to lift the sand to cause the dust storms. It eventually settles somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 05:59 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I have a theory that energy can create strange effects in our world and anomalous energy can manifest anywhere. Not related to your experience perhaps, but there are other theories which some people believe, which suggest there are portals which appear in different places at different times. These can cause people and things to pop through both ways from this reality to other realities and might explain why some people disappear or why some strange animals/beasts are seen occasionally. Maybe some of the cryptids which are experienced by folks can come through for a while and then go back?

The dust devils on Mars which NASA has shown us in videos, I believe are not caused by the wind because I do not see the dust and debris piled up behind rocks.

A lot of speculation in this post.

When I saw these I was always hoping for a fish to pop out and fly in my direction! But they never did; just wishful thinking!

Old 08-05-2018, 09:43 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
There are numerous pictures of the sand dunes on Mars, which include "dust piled up behind rocks". Not sure what you mean by "debris". The air on Mars is very thin, so there's not much force behind the wind, but it's strong enough to lift the sand to cause the dust storms. It eventually settles somewhere.
See the calculations in the following thread - the force of a 60mph wind on Mars is equivalent to a 7.7mph breeze on Earth. So you wouldn't have a storm blowing over equipment like in the Martian movie.

https://space.stackexchange.com/ques...e-wind-on-mars

The dust is also very fine (the equivalent of the particles in cigarette smoke), which means it doesn't take a lot of force to blow it around:

https://science.nasa.gov/science-new...9jul_marsdust/

Old 08-05-2018, 06:19 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,869,734 times
Quote:
When I saw these I was always hoping for a fish to pop out and fly in my direction! But they never did; just wishful thinking!
Ahh - the one that got away. There are loads of reports of live fishes/frogs/etc falling from the clear blue sky.

I suspect flocks of starlings or racing pigeons which are reported falling dead and dying out of the sky are because of cloaked invisible craft which they have just flown into.

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing rover images of dust piled up behind rocks blown there by Mars-wide dust storms which blow dust all over the planet and onto the rover's deck (and off again apparently). Dust devils are shown by NASA making dark tracks across the ground which suggest the wind is strong enough to blow the existing sand and dirt away from its path, scoring the ground. "Debris" include 5mm hematite spherules or 'blueberries' which litter the ground in some places. Your turn.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:47 AM

11,119 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Dust devils can certainly lift heavy objects! I've seen video on TV of one lifting a bounce house with children inside and carrying it about a quarter mile.

It might have been the particular landscape around that little lake that could funnel the winds when the came from a particular direction and create a vortex.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:57 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Dust devils can certainly lift heavy objects! I've seen video on TV of one lifting a bounce house with children inside and carrying it about a quarter mile.
Yes, on Earth; winds can't life heavy objects on Mars because the force of a 60mph wind on Mars is equivalent to a 7.7mph breeze on Earth (see link in my previous post for the mathematics).

Old 08-10-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Yes, on Earth; winds can't life heavy objects on Mars because the force of a 60mph wind on Mars is equivalent to a 7.7mph breeze on Earth (see link in my previous post for the mathematics).
That's probably true, but it doesn't take all that much to lift a bounce house ... large cross section and not much mass.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

It might have been the particular landscape around that little lake that could funnel the winds when the came from a particular direction and create a vortex.

I have been in a car and commercial trucks hit by dust devils and I was 'swayed'. Of course it all depends on the size of the dust devil. What is disheartening to me is that I have not seen one other picture of what I observed when I was young. I never thought about it all these years and I was just thinking what I observed was normal. Then I had to use the internet and now I don't know. It does not mean that I gave up; I still plan to keep looking to see if I was just crazy when I was young!

I also tried the Weather forum but nobody responded. Perhaps I will let some time go by and try their tornado forum? I don't give up that easily.

When I was driving a big rig with a partner (sleeper team) we were on the road right after 911. I wore polarized sunglasses because of the little fishing mishap I had (you can see a picture of that mishap if you hit my name). My left eye was permanently dilated after the fish hook. Immediately after 911 was an unique opportunity to study our weather; the US was a no-fly zone. With my polarized glasses I felt like I could see the moisture rising in the air. We were traveling over a thousand miles each day and my observations seemed universal. I even insisted that my partner look through my polarized glasses several times and he agreed that what we saw was different. You could not detect the difference without the polarized lenses. For several years I searched to see if anybody recorded weather anomalies during the no-fly zone period. As the years passed on more researchers have looked back to that particular period: https://globalnews.ca/news/2934513/e...ge-experiment/. Of course none of them are talking about what I saw with my polarized lenses; at least it is a start. One day we will link all of Al Gore's flights to environmental summits to climate change!

Old 08-10-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I have been in a car and commercial trucks hit by dust devils and I was 'swayed'. Of course it all depends on the size of the dust devil. What is disheartening to me is that I have not seen one other picture of what I observed when I was young. I never thought about it all these years and I was just thinking what I observed was normal. Then I had to use the internet and now I don't know. It does not mean that I gave up; I still plan to keep looking to see if I was just crazy when I was young!

I also tried the Weather forum but nobody responded. Perhaps I will let some time go by and try their tornado forum? I don't give up that easily.

When I was driving a big rig with a partner (sleeper team) we were on the road right after 911. I wore polarized sunglasses because of the little fishing mishap I had (you can see a picture of that mishap if you hit my name). My left eye was permanently dilated after the fish hook. Immediately after 911 was an unique opportunity to study our weather; the US was a no-fly zone. With my polarized glasses I felt like I could see the moisture rising in the air. We were traveling over a thousand miles each day and my observations seemed universal. I even insisted that my partner look through my polarized glasses several times and he agreed that what we saw was different. You could not detect the difference without the polarized lenses. For several years I searched to see if anybody recorded weather anomalies during the no-fly zone period. As the years passed on more researchers have looked back to that particular period: https://globalnews.ca/news/2934513/e...ge-experiment/. Of course none of them are talking about what I saw with my polarized lenses; at least it is a start. One day we will link all of Al Gore's flights to environmental summits to climate change!
Your experience while wearing the polarized sunglasses is interesting. Since no one else reported the phenomenon, perhaps it was just a localized event wherever you happened to be at the time.

I've not heard of the proposal that aircraft contrails affect the climate, and my initial, perhaps knee-jerk, reaction is to disagree with the author. There's just not enough data in that 3-day period, and there are so many variables in atmospheric physics it's hard state that contrails are the cause, particularly for a 2 degree C change. It could have easily been coincidental. The article didn't say what the consensus of the scientific community is.

It was an interesting article nevertheless. And in the first picture, if one didn't know where Atlanta is, it would be easy to see right way.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Your experience while wearing the polarized sunglasses is interesting. Since no one else reported the phenomenon, perhaps it was just a localized event wherever you happened to be at the time.

I've not heard of the proposal that aircraft contrails affect the climate, and my initial, perhaps knee-jerk, reaction is to disagree with the author. There's just not enough data in that 3-day period, and there are so many variables in atmospheric physics it's hard state that contrails are the cause, particularly for a 2 degree C change. It could have easily been coincidental. The article didn't say what the consensus of the scientific community is.

It was an interesting article nevertheless. And in the first picture, if one didn't know where Atlanta is, it would be easy to see right way.

I tried to start a thread a few years ago and it did not go too far. It was easier to study at that time it happened with the right equipment (my polarized sunglasses). I wished that I could have challenged the right collage or university or research group to get out there while the no-fly zone was in place. But I had places to go and people to meet a long ways away; pedal to the metal. My sleeper team partner was a retired school teacher if that counts? I believe that I ran to Houston from Carlisle PA and back at that time; we were averaging over 5,000 miles each week. So we saw plenty of sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal