U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 02:51 PM

17,833 posts, read 14,124,158 times

Advertisements

I was trying to think of other possible reasons to think I saw a sea monster and I remembered my childhood. My grandparents had a small (three acre) lake with a very small island in the middle (about 20' in diameter). On three different occasions I was in a row boat when small water spouts appeared on the lake. They were about three or four feet in diameter and lifted a column of water five to ten feet high. On one occasion three of them crossed the lake at the same time. They did not last long as they followed the winds across the lake. I would equate them more with desert dust devils; but with water.

The reason I am posting this is because, when I just used Wikipedia, they do not mention small water spouts and go onto most do not have water: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterspout. So I then turned to Google images and, when looking for "small waterspouts on lakes", I saw no pictures of what I had experienced 60 years ago.

So I am curious if others have seen small lake waterspouts that actually have sucked up water; but have not grown into fearsome tornado type waterspouts? It could have just been the location of that one little lake in a valley that focused the winds just right? Maybe it would have been better to post this in the Weather forum, but since I did not see information; I am posting it on the 'Unexplained' forum.

By the way, if any of you ever get a good picture of one of these little twisters; I did not see any on YouTube or Google.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 05:14 PM

5,347 posts, read 3,100,791 times
I've seen several dust devils, but they tend to be weak and can only pick up light things, like dust and leaves. Water is much more dense, so it would take a stronger votex to lift it. Dust devils are not caused by convective activity; waterspouts are (they're essentially a tornado over water).

I have never seen or heard of a small waterspout over a lake. I'm not sure what could have caused what you saw.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I've seen several dust devils, but they tend to be weak and can only pick up light things, like dust and leaves. Water is much more dense, so it would take a stronger votex to lift it. Dust devils are not caused by convective activity; waterspouts are (they're essentially a tornado over water).

I have never seen or heard of a small waterspout over a lake. I'm not sure what could have caused what you saw.

I never thought about it until Nessie! It has been many, many years (I spotted these back in the late 1950's and early 1960's). Like I said; it simply could have been that lake in that particular valley? But I always thought these small ones were 'normal' because of the few times I had observed them. I did not know that they were not normal until I tried to find one with Google, YouTube and Wikipedia. Maybe they were the tips of small tornadoes and I did not know it?

I hate to be the only one that ever saw something like this; hopefully others will come forward? Thank you for your response!

PS I have been out West during heat waves and have been in vehicles that were rocked by the small dust devils.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:27 PM

5,347 posts, read 3,100,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I never thought about it until Nessie! It has been many, many years (I spotted these back in the late 1950's and early 1960's). Like I said; it simply could have been that lake in that particular valley? But I always thought these small ones were 'normal' because of the few times I had observed them. I did not know that they were not normal until I tried to find one with Google, YouTube and Wikipedia. Maybe they were the tips of small tornadoes and I did not know it?

I hate to be the only one that ever saw something like this; hopefully others will come forward? Thank you for your response!

PS I have been out West during heat waves and have been in vehicles that were rocked by the small dust devils.
I suppose that's possible. Sometimes only the lower end of a "regular" tornado is visible, and it's normally, perhaps always, the weak ones. What was the weather like when you saw them ... stormy, clear, etc.?

Old 08-04-2018, 05:37 PM

5,796 posts, read 4,515,692 times
There are a few videos of small waterspouts on lakes on Youtube - search for "small waterspout lake". This is a nice one:

https://youtu.be/CFks4qufdms

Old 08-04-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I suppose that's possible. Sometimes only the lower end of a "regular" tornado is visible, and it's normally, perhaps always, the weak ones. What was the weather like when you saw them ... stormy, clear, etc.?

It is hard to remember back all those years. I am thinking windy and that is about it; it could have been raining - but I don't remember rain. Chances are that I would not have been out in the boat if it was raining. I probably would have fished from shore if it was raining. I also just liked to row for the exercise; I thought that I was pretty good. The fact that the water cones were so high helped me remember something so long ago.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
There are a few videos of small waterspouts on lakes on Youtube - search for "small waterspout lake". This is a good one:

https://youtu.be/CFks4qufdms

I saw a few of those on YouTube; but they are not like what I observed. With those there is a wide tip of moisture (maybe ten or twenty feet). The ones I witnessed might have been two, maybe three or four feet in diameter where they touched the water and a cone of water straight up. That is why I mentioned it here on unexplained; hoping that I am not the only one to ever see these. I always assumed it was common. Well we know what happens when we assume!

Old 08-04-2018, 07:18 PM

88,002 posts, read 81,878,462 times
OP, did you never ask your grandparents about them?

Old 08-04-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, did you never ask your grandparents about them?

No I never did ask them about the waterspouts or not that I can remember. They were busy taking care of the hotel at the time and I was busy having fun on the lake! I know that I had friends with me some of the time; but we had no internet to even check and see if it was 'normal'.

Our parents lived about a mile away and we had no water on our property. So, for the hot summer months we would hang around our grandparents. Plus the hotel had a bar and plenty of free soda + free pinball machines to play when they were not busy. The man that serviced the machines gave me a nickel on a wire that I could put in and then pull out so the machines were always free. So much for the day of nickel pinball machines!

Old 08-04-2018, 09:30 PM

4,547 posts, read 4,035,835 times
I have a theory that energy can create strange effects in our world and anomalous energy can manifest anywhere. Not related to your experience perhaps, but there are other theories which some people believe, which suggest there are portals which appear in different places at different times. These can cause people and things to pop through both ways from this reality to other realities and might explain why some people disappear or why some strange animals/beasts are seen occasionally. Maybe some of the cryptids which are experienced by folks can come through for a while and then go back?

The dust devils on Mars which NASA has shown us in videos, I believe are not caused by the wind because I do not see the dust and debris piled up behind rocks.

A lot of speculation in this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal