U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2018, 12:25 PM
 
21,274 posts, read 6,169,147 times
Reputation: 12179

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I believe it's actually the "Advanced AVIATION Threat Identification Program". Or so I've read.

I'm not sure about that entire thing. There's a lot of conflicting information floating around.
Yea, I read about that too, supposedly these are 2 very different reports, one is Advanced Aerospace threat Identification and the other is Advanced Aviation threat identification, one has more to with weapons systems.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2018, 12:29 PM
 
21,274 posts, read 6,169,147 times
Reputation: 12179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Did you actually read the linked article? It addresses specifically the alien metals claim - which was made up by reporters.

Regarding the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program - how do I explain the existence of the program? Because Harry Reid had the interest, the clout, and friends to make it happen.

Regarding the "conclusion" you claim is in the report - I don't see any quotes or links to primary sources that state that the government has hard evidence of supposed advanced technologies (beyond some blurry videos), and that the government has concluded that we would not be able to defend against them. What I see is your statement that you've been unable to obtain the report under FOIA - if you haven't done so, how do you know what the report contains?

A comment on the Program in question and why it was stopped:



(source)

In other words, there was no there there.
"By 2009, the program had made such extraordinary discoveries that Reid argued for heightened security to protect it. “Much progress has been made with the identification of several highly sensitive, unconventional aerospace-related findings,” Mr. Reid said in a letter to William Lynn III, a deputy defense secretary at the time, requesting that it be designated a “restricted special access program” limited to a few listed officials.


A 2009 Pentagon briefing summary of the program asserted that “what was considered science fiction is now science fact,” and that the United States was incapable of defending itself against some of the technologies discovered."

If they didnt have anything to R&D, how were they able to reach these conclusions?

If there is nothing extraordinary or significant in that 490 page report, why would they classify it?

BTW, that link you provided seemed very suspicious, like they were trying to 'explain away' or 'cleverly disguise' things that were mentioned in the original article...Im sorry, but this is what Govt DOES, they are very good at mis-direction and 'dis-information'. Keep in mind, before the Ny Times article in Dec 2017, the Govt blatantly lied about even having UFO studies going on, they publicly claimed Project Blue Book was the last official investigation...we now know that was a lie (if they lied about it then, they would certainly lie about it now).

They did the exact same thing with the original Roswell article, the day after, there was 'another' article, one that dismissed the claims of the original...Gee, now why would they do that?

Last edited by rstevens62; 08-12-2018 at 12:38 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2018, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,833 posts, read 4,534,261 times
Reputation: 11115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
"By 2009, the program had made such extraordinary discoveries that Reid argued for heightened security to protect it. “Much progress has been made with the identification of several highly sensitive, unconventional aerospace-related findings,” Mr. Reid said in a letter to William Lynn III, a deputy defense secretary at the time, requesting that it be designated a “restricted special access program” limited to a few listed officials.

A 2009 Pentagon briefing summary of the program asserted that “what was considered science fiction is now science fact,” and that the United States was incapable of defending itself against some of the technologies discovered."
If they didnt have anything to R&D, how were they able to reach these conclusions?
What's the source for this quote? If it's from a publication or blog, it's only as accurate as the writers interpretation of the material from the original source.

I'll point out that Harry Reid has a longstanding interest in UFOs -- like Mulder, he Wants To Believe. His college studies were in political science and history, so he doesn't have any special background in evaluating research claims. He may have read something, made it into something more than it is because he wanted to believe they had a smoking gun. We have no way of knowing.

The sightings being discussed are compelling, but it's a leap of faith to believe they represent aircraft, let alone off-world tech. As I've pointed out in another thread, the position and movement of the "tic tac" looks to me to be tracking the movement of the airplane or the pilot's HUD.

Quote:
If there is nothing extraordinary or significant in that 490 page report, why would they classify it?
If it revealed things about our own aircraft or military flights, it would be classified for that reason alone, UFOs aside. Some things get classified because some bureaucrat decided it would be a good idea; others are classified to cover someone's rear. Some get classified to protect programs, tech, or operatives. Some get classified for no apparent reason at all, or for a very obscure reason. Talk to anyone who's worked in the military or DoD, they'll tell you the same thing - if they can admit to having a clearance at all. I'd certainly never tell.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2018, 10:37 AM
 
21,274 posts, read 6,169,147 times
Reputation: 12179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
What's the source for this quote? If it's from a publication or blog, it's only as accurate as the writers interpretation of the material from the original source.

I'll point out that Harry Reid has a longstanding interest in UFOs -- like Mulder, he Wants To Believe. His college studies were in political science and history, so he doesn't have any special background in evaluating research claims. He may have read something, made it into something more than it is because he wanted to believe they had a smoking gun. We have no way of knowing.

The sightings being discussed are compelling, but it's a leap of faith to believe they represent aircraft, let alone off-world tech. As I've pointed out in another thread, the position and movement of the "tic tac" looks to me to be tracking the movement of the airplane or the pilot's HUD.



If it revealed things about our own aircraft or military flights, it would be classified for that reason alone, UFOs aside. Some things get classified because some bureaucrat decided it would be a good idea; others are classified to cover someone's rear. Some get classified to protect programs, tech, or operatives. Some get classified for no apparent reason at all, or for a very obscure reason. Talk to anyone who's worked in the military or DoD, they'll tell you the same thing - if they can admit to having a clearance at all. I'd certainly never tell.
The quote is from NY Times article...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/u...arry-reid.html

Regarding the tic tac, listening to the radio of the pilot, it seems like he has never seen anything like this, I think he would be pretty familiar with his HUD.

What about the Govt lying about the existence of a UFO investigation program though? Ive seen numerous times when the president or other Govt officials are asked about aliens/ UFOs, they always state the last program was Project Blue Book and the Govt does not have any interest or knowledge of this topic since then...that was an outright lie.

Im not sure Ive mentioned it in this thread ( I have in other related threads), years ago, after reading a UFO report from my state that was really bizarre, it involved 2 fighter jets chasing a white cigar object, handful of witnesses claim, anyway, I sent a message to Mitch McConnell, asking him about this incident. I expected to get a generic reply letter by mail, but I actually got a personal call from his office...I didnt answer unfortunately, but they left me a VM, stating that they could not help me because 'all this stuff' is highly classified.

( I converted the VM to a sound file after this happened, but I do not have that computer anymore, I wish I had saved it.)

Do you at least see why govt would classify this kind of thing and/or go to the 'dis-information' lengths they have in order to maintain the secret?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2018, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
17,470 posts, read 9,400,357 times
Reputation: 60828
I was with my best friend sleeping out in a tent on the side of her house. It was late and we were still up with the light on in the tent. I heard a humming sound and I looked out of the tent and there was a UFO hoovering above her house. I yelled for her to come out and see it. I climbed the fence to get closer and it was gone in seconds. It was only about three stories above and I got a good look at it. It was saucer shape with small square windows and red and white blinking lights all around the craft. It hoovered in near silence and was gone in a flash. We did report it and a police officer showed up to talk to us. By that time we were scared to death and he knew we were serious. My friend and I were convinced that we had seen an alien crafty. What do you expect from pre teens with vivid imaginations?

Looking back on it I'm more convinced that what we saw was an experimental military craft. The windows looked like the windows you would see in an aircraft. Planes also have red and white lights. What are the odds that an alien craft would have very similar features as our planes do?

For quite awhile my friend and I had some serious street cred. It's also something that has bound us together some 30 decades later. We hadn't seen each other for quite awhile and that's the first thing we talked about.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2018, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,833 posts, read 4,534,261 times
Reputation: 11115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The quote is from NY Times article...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/u...arry-reid.html
Quote from the article on UFO Seekers on this article:

Quote:
The Pentagon has NEVER CONFIRMED THE DOD WAS LOOKING FOR ALIEN SPACECRAFT ON EARTH.
The Pentagon confirmed, the NAMES of two programs: AAWSAP and FAATIP
AAWSAP was a weapon system program and FAATIP was looking for foreign military aircraft.
Just because Bigelow Aerospace investigated UFO Sightings, did not mean the US Government was looking for alien spacecraft on Earth. The language used in the programs clearly explains THEY WERE LOOKING FOR FOREIGN AIRCRAFT AND FOREIGN MILITARY THREATS.
(source)

Quote:
Regarding the tic tac, listening to the radio of the pilot, it seems like he has never seen anything like this, I think he would be pretty familiar with his HUD.
Not if there was a glitch in the image enhancement or tracking software in the HUD, as I've suggested before.

Quote:
What about the Govt lying about the existence of a UFO investigation program though? ... I actually got a personal call from his office...I didnt answer unfortunately, but they left me a VM, stating that they could not help me because 'all this stuff' is highly classified. ...

Do you at least see why govt would classify this kind of thing and/or go to the 'dis-information' lengths they have in order to maintain the secret?
Quoting my last reply:

Quote:
If it revealed things about our own aircraft or military flights, it would be classified for that reason alone, UFOs aside. Some things get classified because some bureaucrat decided it would be a good idea; others are classified to cover someone's rear. Some get classified to protect programs, tech, or operatives. Some get classified for no apparent reason at all, or for a very obscure reason. Talk to anyone who's worked in the military or DoD, they'll tell you the same thing - if they can admit to having a clearance at all.
In other words, there are a lot of reasons why documents get classified -- and a lot of reasons why the government withholds, distorts, or denies the existence of certain information. It doesn't necessarily mean in the case of UFO-related material that they're classifying it because it contains evidence that we're being visited by ETs or their machines. And it doesn't necessarily mean they're not classifying the material for that reason; we just don't know which is the case.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2018, 11:56 AM
 
21,274 posts, read 6,169,147 times
Reputation: 12179
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I was with my best friend sleeping out in a tent on the side of her house. It was late and we were still up with the light on in the tent. I heard a humming sound and I looked out of the tent and there was a UFO hoovering above her house. I yelled for her to come out and see it. I climbed the fence to get closer and it was gone in seconds. It was only about three stories above and I got a good look at it. It was saucer shape with small square windows and red and white blinking lights all around the craft. It hoovered in near silence and was gone in a flash. We did report it and a police officer showed up to talk to us. By that time we were scared to death and he knew we were serious. My friend and I were convinced that we had seen an alien crafty. What do you expect from pre teens with vivid imaginations?

Looking back on it I'm more convinced that what we saw was an experimental military craft. The windows looked like the windows you would see in an aircraft. Planes also have red and white lights. What are the odds that an alien craft would have very similar features as our planes do?

For quite awhile my friend and I had some serious street cred. It's also something that has bound us together some 30 decades later. We hadn't seen each other for quite awhile and that's the first thing we talked about.
If it was an experimental military craft...how many years ago was this? Im assuming it was silent except for the humming?...Even the most advanced military fighter plane in existence today is extremely loud.

Point is, with experimental or test aircraft...the technology eventually trickles out/ down to known aircraft. Thats what happened with the Stealth bomber, when it was in the classified/ experimental stage, people reported sightings of them as UFOs, The US even took advantage of this, to muddy the waters on its existence, but it wasnt long after that it became public, and the technology was not classified anymore, most people would be able to spot a stealth bomber in the sky today if they saw one.

Dont you think other agencies would be using this kind of aircraft technology by now, if something like this was in the experimental stages years or decades ago, plus they would surely have made improvements since then.

Im just curious, did the craft you see, appear to wobble as it hovered or flew away?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2018, 12:02 PM
 
21,274 posts, read 6,169,147 times
Reputation: 12179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Quote from the article on UFO Seekers on this article:


(source)

Not if there was a glitch in the image enhancement or tracking software in the HUD, as I've suggested before.

Quoting my last reply:

In other words, there are a lot of reasons why documents get classified -- and a lot of reasons why the government withholds, distorts, or denies the existence of certain information. It doesn't necessarily mean in the case of UFO-related material that they're classifying it because it contains evidence that we're being visited by ETs or their machines. And it doesn't necessarily mean they're not classifying the material for that reason; we just don't know which is the case.
OK, so in your opinion which foreign aircraft/ technology, is the US unable to defend against?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2018, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
5,833 posts, read 4,534,261 times
Reputation: 11115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
OK, so in your opinion which foreign aircraft/ technology, is the US unable to defend against?
You're referring to this, I presume:

Quote:
A 2009 Pentagon briefing summary of the program prepared by its director at the time asserted that “what was considered science fiction is now science fact,” and that the United States was incapable of defending itself against some of the technologies discovered.
I've yet to see a pointer to the origin of this claim outside the NYT article, which has been shown to contain one hoax concocted by reporters, putting the believability of the whole article in question. I can't even find the briefing summary they're claiming exists. All I see are articles by reporters citing sources that they don't provide links to.

I can tell you one disaster we're incapable of defending against that doesn't require technology beyond what's currently available: if a bad actor like North Korea or Iran developed the ability to lob a missile tipped with a nuclear warhead over the U.S. and explode it at a high altitude, they could destroy our communication grid and essentially put our technology back in the 19th century. The results would be catastrophic.

As a taxpayer, I'd rather see us spending money on hardening our tech against these kinds of attacks, and against solar flares and asteroid impacts than on advanced alien threats that may or may not exist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2018, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
5,393 posts, read 3,134,387 times
Reputation: 4026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
You're referring to this, I presume:

I've yet to see a pointer to the origin of this claim outside the NYT article, which has been shown to contain one hoax concocted by reporters, putting the believability of the whole article in question. I can't even find the briefing summary they're claiming exists. All I see are articles by reporters citing sources that they don't provide links to.

I can tell you one disaster we're incapable of defending against that doesn't require technology beyond what's currently available: if a bad actor like North Korea or Iran developed the ability to lob a missile tipped with a nuclear warhead over the U.S. and explode it at a high altitude, they could destroy our communication grid and essentially put our technology back in the 19th century. The results would be catastrophic.

As a taxpayer, I'd rather see us spending money on hardening our tech against these kinds of attacks, and against solar flares and asteroid impacts than on advanced alien threats that may or may not exist.
And that's exactly what our government is doing (as I'm sure you're aware).

I'm not even sure that the program in question had anything at all to do with "flying saucers", but if it did, $20M over a several year period doesn't really get you a lot these days, sadly. Technical man-hours aren't cheap.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top